Hot water/central heating

Found 24th Aug 2017
Hi

We have just moved into a new house. Having coming from a flat which was all electric we have no idea about gas.

The controls on the wall seemed simple. An option for hot water and central heating. I wanted hot water only so set the hot water switch to on.

The problem is the radiators are also getting hot! What am I doing wrong?
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
There's a value near the cold/hot water tank

It may be jammed in the middle sending water to Both it happens to me sometimes

Make sure nothing is jamming the little box that has a small metal lever showing

Might not be this but worth a try
Could you post a photo of the controls.

It could be a variety of options - best to eliminate them one by one, start with the controls.
Don't you have a room thermostat ?
If the radiators have thermostat valves on each of them, turn them to the off position until you can work out your controls. As said above, a pic of your wall control would be helpful.
Ok guys here are some images

31780043-C7yLB.jpg

31780043-9iobd.jpg
Edited by: "SkyBlu75" 24th Aug 2017
kester7638 m ago

Don't you have a room thermostat ?

Yes it was on 5 degrees something else I dont understand.
OK - sounds like a problem with the motorised valve that directs hot water to the radiators. You will either have two valves on the pipework from the boiler (one to allow hot water to heat up the hot water cylinder and the other to the radiators) or one "diverter" valve which can direct flow in either or both directions.

Follow the pipework from the pump to try and find out which type you have - it is likely that either the single valve to the radiotors is stuck open or the diverter valve is similarly stuck in the wrong position.

Let us know what you find and can then suggest the next step.
Don't worry about the room thermostat for now - that appears not to be the problem.
sounds like a stuck/faulty diverter valve as others have said, the reason the roomstat was set to 5% is as an anti frost/freeze setting, obviously on a sealed system full of water freezing can cause major probs.
try switching the heating off and on a few times tonight but if its been left in that state a while could well be seized badly
Van19733 h, 55 m ago

OK - sounds like a problem with the motorised valve that directs hot water …OK - sounds like a problem with the motorised valve that directs hot water to the radiators. You will either have two valves on the pipework from the boiler (one to allow hot water to heat up the hot water cylinder and the other to the radiators) or one "diverter" valve which can direct flow in either or both directions. Follow the pipework from the pump to try and find out which type you have - it is likely that either the single valve to the radiotors is stuck open or the diverter valve is similarly stuck in the wrong position.Let us know what you find and can then suggest the next step.

Right, I have no idea.

I have taken these photos from the tank upstairs

31784033-5B50R.jpg

31784033-EYRRF.jpg
SkyBlu7514 m ago

Right, I have no idea.I have taken these photos from the tank …Right, I have no idea.I have taken these photos from the tank upstairs[Image] [Image]

right ... getting warm (pun intended )

top photo - little grey box in upper right of the photo ..... post a better / close up of that grey box!

is there a small lever / switch type thing on it?

EliTom
You have a single diverter valve - that is at the top of the first photo with the grey top.

The grey box on top of the valve is the actuator - this is what moves the valve to either direct the water from the boiler to either the cylinder (that is the pipe that comes out of the valve to the front then doubles back to enter the cylinder) or to the radiators (the pipe that comes out of the valve and goes back under the floor) or to both of them.

The problem is most likely with this valve/actuator - somehow it is not moving to the correct position. Either the valve is physically stuck as it has not moved for a long time of there is some fault with the actuator. First check whether there are any movable switches on the actuator - some have switches allowing them manually to be put into the desired position - you want it switched to AUTO mode so that the controller can position it.

As others have suggested then try switching the hot water and central heating on/off separately multiple times and see if you can see the valve moving or trying to move - you should be able to hear a wurring as the actuator moves the valve. You may be able to see the valve spindle rotate in a gap between the valve and the actuator. You can also give the valve (the brass part) a gentle tap with a hammer just to jolt it!

See how you get on with this - if this doesn't solve it then we can look at taking the top of the actuator off (another photo of the top of the actuator - grey box) would help.

Good luck!
Edited by: "Van1973" 24th Aug 2017
elitom15 m ago

right ... getting warm (pun intended )top photo - little grey box in …right ... getting warm (pun intended )top photo - little grey box in upper right of the photo ..... post a better / close up of that grey box!is there a small lever / switch type thing on it?EliTom

31784401-wV6Ki.jpg

Im guessing you guys mean this little thing.

Right. What should I do with it?

Thanks so much for everyones help.
elitom may know more than me so let's wait for what he says.

If he's not about I'd try moving the black switch to the right and give it a try!
Whilst waiting can you post a photo from the top - should show the brand and model no.
Van19732 m ago

Whilst waiting can you post a photo from the top - should show the brand …Whilst waiting can you post a photo from the top - should show the brand and model no.

31784535-MDrSL.jpg
I was guessing it was a Drayton - here are the instructions.

draytoncontrols.co.uk/sit…pdf

Page 2 says "When the manual lever is moved to the right and pushed in to ‘lock’, both outlet ports A and B are open, it automatically releases when the valve is powered."

So have a go at moving the black switch to the right and see if it works. Good luck again!
Van19734 m ago

I was guessing it was a Drayton - here are the …I was guessing it was a Drayton - here are the instructions.http://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/sites/default/files/Motorised Valve Installer Guide.pdfPage 2 says "When the manual lever is moved to the right and pushed in to ‘lock’, both outlet ports A and B are open, it automatically releases when the valve is powered."So have a go at moving the black switch to the right and see if it works. Good luck again!

I was just reading that page myself lol. Im in bed now its been a long day (moving house) lol will give it a bash tommorow and hopefully it sorts itself out.

Is it not already pushed to the right though? 'spose it depends which way you are looking at it lol
Edited by: "SkyBlu75" 24th Aug 2017
For now as others have said you can get hot water only by closing one valve on each radiator.

I'm not sure about the black switch - I could be wrong and this may just to ensure the valve is open to both routes when commissioning the system. I have two motorised valves, 20 years since I had a diverter so not speaking from recent experience - elitom may be more knowledgeable!

I've had a look on the Screwfix site and if you read the product reviews it appears other have had this problem with this actuator - so it appears to be a common failure mode. Here is the link ......

screwfix.com/p/d…818

These are reasonably easy to replace if necessary.

Have a play in the morning but you're in no rush - just need it sorting before the winter.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants