hotel cancellation

Posted 8th May
I'm just looking for a bit of help/advice really,

I'm meant to be going to Milan next Saturday but obviously it's been cancelled, I've booked flights and hotel separately on my credit card. Ryanair have said they'll give me a full refund (we'll see) and Expedia have told me the hotel won't refund me and are willing to give me a credit note to use at the same hotel for up to 12 months.

Only thing is we aren't sure if we can fit it in in the next 12 months as we're meant to be getting married in Cyprus in September and we have other commitments in the next 12 months that will require quite a bit of saving especially if the wedding gets cancelled.

So I've been trying to find out if i would be able to claim back off my credit card company under section 75 for the hotel not giving us a refund but when I've looked online it only really mentions package holidays or flights only. The room was a non refundable room which i get if we had cancelled it we wouldn't be eligible for a refund but because it has been cancelled by them I'm not sure where we stand with it all.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

4 Comments
I had exactly the same with Ebookers (part of expedia) offering voucher despite hotel telling me on email they were closed and I should get refunded as even if i could have travelled I still couldnt stay so under rules they havent provided the service I purchased, even though it was non refundable rate. Id been really fair with them and waited until 2 days before departure to contact them.

After multiple emails including one to CEO they said they would refund - but would take them up to 90 days - after which I thought stuff this and Amex did a chargeback without a problem as I had an email from the hotel telling me it was closed.

Have you contacted the hotel direct? As you might find its a different story to what Expedia are telling you. In my case the hotel told me they were also offering vouchers to customers who booked direct valid for 2 years at the same rate as the original booking (even if its more when you chose other dates) but they said agents wouldnt offer their clients the same.

If you get something from the hotel saying its closed I dont see why chargeback wouldnt be successful

Ebookers have basically cost themselves my loyalty now via their multiple delaying tactics
Edited by: "jase.2" 8th May
jase.208/05/2020 21:06

I had exactly the same with Ebookers (part of expedia) offering voucher …I had exactly the same with Ebookers (part of expedia) offering voucher despite hotel telling me on email they were closed and I should get refunded as even if i could have travelled I still couldnt stay so under rules they havent provided the service I purchased, even though it was non refundable rate. Id been really fair with them and waited until 2 days before departure to contact them.After multiple emails including one to CEO they said they would refund - but would take them up to 90 days - after which I thought stuff this and Amex did a chargeback without a problem as I had an email from the hotel telling me it was closed.Have you contacted the hotel direct? As you might find its a different story to what Expedia are telling you. In my case the hotel told me they were also offering vouchers to customers who booked direct valid for 2 years at the same rate as the original booking (even if its more when you chose other dates) but they said agents wouldnt offer their clients the same. If you get something from the hotel saying its closed I dont see why chargeback wouldnt be successful Ebookers have basically cost themselves my loyalty now via their multiple delaying tactics

I've not contacted the hotel directly yet, I'll have to give that a try. Expedia have just told us that they've rang the hotel and left messages and that the offline team will email me back once the hotel have emailed/messaged them back
stu199108/05/2020 21:12

I've not contacted the hotel directly yet, I'll have to give that a try. …I've not contacted the hotel directly yet, I'll have to give that a try. Expedia have just told us that they've rang the hotel and left messages and that the offline team will email me back once the hotel have emailed/messaged them back

yeah they told me exactly the same - funny how the hotel responded to my email within a few hours lol

They even told me Ebookers still had my money and they hadnt seen a penny of it at that point
Travel republic did the same thing,trying to force a credit note on people for hotel bookings,

you'l find now they have decided to refund in full since they were the ones who cancelled,they ended up with a lot of bad feedback,see trust pilot

be firm,no credit note,straight refund
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions