Groups

Hotel stay - deposit advice needed

Evening all,

Just a quick question about a 1 night stay at a hotel in Denmark next month.

My booking confirmation (from HappyRooms via booking.com) states there is a 500dkk (about £45 I think) deposit to pay upon arrival. However, after contacting the hotel directly, they say there is no deposit, just that I need to leave a credit card as guarantee.

Is a credit card safe to leave as a guarantee?

Any advice would be great, thanks.

8 Comments

This is common practice in a lot of hotels. It's fine.

Yes. Been asked this for uk hotels and often for non uk hotels.

As above loads of UK hotels require this,

Original Poster

thanks all.

With some uk hotels you can opt to pay the deposit in cash but it's usually three or four times the deposit you'd pay by card.

Basically, they are checking the card is genuine before you stay, so they dont get hit with a stolen card charge back after you leave.

Banned

Gentle_Giant

Basically, they are checking the card is genuine before you stay, so they … Basically, they are checking the card is genuine before you stay, so they dont get hit with a stolen card charge back after you leave.

And its for damage & drinks & food

So no one can do a runner without paying.

Its pretty much standard

YouDontWantToKnow

And its for damage & drinks & food So no one can do a runner without … And its for damage & drinks & food So no one can do a runner without paying. Its pretty much standard

Sort of, as mentioned, if you want to pay cash, they want a lot more. They would rather have the card as it can be used to trace you/bill you in the event you steal/trash the contents of the room far beyond the deposit amount.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Bet365 Free In Play Bet £25 Chelsea Vs Tottenham24
      2. French polisher out to smooth the floor11
      3. Help O2 wont repair my sony experia xz67
      4. Mcdonalds fizzy drinks not working57

See more discussions