Hotmail issue

Posted 1st Jan
I’ve received an email from
account-security-noreply@accountprotection.microsoft.com
Now I’ve googled it and it looks legit but scared to proceed incase there is a virus
The email is the following

Microsoft account
Security info replacement
Someone started a process to replace all of the security info for the Microsoft account ki*****.
If this was you, click the button below to bypass the waiting period by using your existing security info.
This was me
If this wasn't you, someone else might be trying to take over ki*****. Click here and we'll help you protect this account.
If you don't recognise the Microsoft account ki*****, you can click here to remove your email address from that account.
Thanks,
The Microsoft account team

Now I have no emails with ki or no emails linked to this email address. Should I click on the link or ignore?
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Ignore the link. Go directly to your Microsoft account and change your password straight away, you might also want to run Malwarebytes or some other similar software on your computer.
Haircut_10001/01/2020 20:11

Ignore the link. Go directly to your Microsoft account and change your …Ignore the link. Go directly to your Microsoft account and change your password straight away, you might also want to run Malwarebytes or some other similar software on your computer.

It was sent to my iCloud address which is not linked to any Microsoft accounts
Ignore it.
if you do not have ANY microsoft account you have nothing to worry about - just ignore.
It is possible to run Windows without a microsoft account.
never click a link in any email. Its a scam and will steal your detail
No I have mac, iPhone and iPad. I do have an email address with msn.com but that one is not linked to my iCloud email address not even as a back up address. Plus in the email it says an email account with ki which my msn one is not
So much doesn't add up.. ignore it. If its genuine you will get another one, then you contact Microsoft and forward both emails to them. Don't respond at all to the email, or open any links or delete it (I'm not sure, but I believe I read somewhere that it is possible to tell when someone has deleted an email off the server. I may have misunderstood.) If it's a phishing mailshot any response will tell them they habe a live email address and you'll get more.
ndyanem01/01/2020 20:32

No I have mac, iPhone and iPad. I do have an email address with msn.com …No I have mac, iPhone and iPad. I do have an email address with msn.com but that one is not linked to my iCloud email address not even as a back up address. Plus in the email it says an email account with ki which my msn one is not

Please change the password for this msn email address.
bozo00702/01/2020 09:05

Please change the password for this msn email address.

For what msn address mine doesn’t start with ki????
ndyanem02/01/2020 09:06

My bad.
bozo00702/01/2020 12:03

My bad.

I did state mine didn’t start with ki which is why I’m confused by the email
dandoc201/01/2020 20:28

never click a link in any email. Its a scam and will steal your detail

I used to say that, but unfortunately some legit companies do send links in their e-mails. Although it's usually straight after you have signed up for something - like account validation.
ndyanem02/01/2020 12:30

I did state mine didn’t start with ki which is why I’m confused by the ema …I did state mine didn’t start with ki which is why I’m confused by the email

Ignore the e-mail it's phishing.
Bigfootpete02/01/2020 12:48

Ignore the e-mail it's phishing.

It still odd specially as the iCloud email address is never used. Will ignore it and see if anymore arrive
ndyanem02/01/2020 09:06

Just change your password anyway. It’s a good idea to periodically change your passwords.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions