Hotpoint and Indesit Washing Machine Recall: Door lock can overheat, Fire Risk.

Posted 17th Dec 2019
Hotpoint and Indesit washing machine recall bbc.co.uk/new…686

What is the new problem?

Some, about 20%, of the Hotpoint and Indesit washing machines sold since 2014 are affected by the fault. Up to 519,000 washing machines sold in the UK are involved.

Seventy-nine fires are thought to have been caused by the fault which develops over time, according to Whirlpool, which owns the brands.

"When the heating element in the washing machine is activated, in very rare cases a component in the door lock system can overheat, which, depending on product features, can pose a risk of fire," Whirlpool said.

The extra current that runs through the machine when the heating element is on can cause the door locking system to overheat.

The company said the issue had been identified by its safety team, but had led to fires, although none had been significant enough to cause more than minor damage or cause any serious injuries.
Community Updates
EDITOR
Massive recall just announced this afternoon, with over 500k machines affected.

3367190.jpg
(via BBC News)

The machines, branded as Hotpoint or Indesit, were sold for more than five years, but their door locking system can overheat creating the risk of fire.

Owners face the prospect of doing without hot washes for months until products are fixed or replaced.

Whirlpool was already reeling after problems with fire-prone dryers.

It was heavily criticised for its initial response when more than five million tumble dryers, sold over 11 years, were found to be a fire danger. It only launched a full recall for that issue after four years, following an intervention by the regulator. This time it has gone straight to a recall.

What is the new problem?Some, about 20%, of the Hotpoint and Indesit washing machines sold since 2014 are affected by the fault. Up to 519,000 washing machines sold in the UK are involved.

Seventy-nine fires are thought to have been caused by the fault which develops over time, according to Whirlpool, which owns the brands.

"When the heating element in the washing machine is activated, in very rare cases a component in the door lock system can overheat, which, depending on product features, can pose a risk of fire," Whirlpool said.

Affected Models

Thanks to @memawheeze for this.

FML 742P UK Hotpoint
WMAOD 743G UK Hotpoint
WMAOD 743P UK Hotpoint
WMAQB 721P UK.M Hotpoint
WMAQC 641P UK.M Hotpoint
WMAQC 741G UK Hotpoint
WMAQC 741P UK Hotpoint
WMAQC 741P UK.M Hotpoint
WMAQF 621G UK Hotpoint
WMAQF 621P UK Hotpoint
WMAQF 641 P UK.M Hotpoint
WMAQF 721G UK Hotpoint
WMAQF 721P UK.M Hotpoint
WMAQL 621G UK Hotpoint
WMBF 742G UK Hotpoint
WMBF 742K UK Hotpoint
WMBF 742P UK Hotpoint
WMBF 742P UK.M Hotpoint
WMBF 763P UK Hotpoint
WMEF 722 BC UK Hotpoint
WMEF 742 P UK Hotpoint
WMEUF 722P UK Hotpoint
WMEUF 743G UK Hotpoint
WMEUF 743P UK Hotpoint
WMFG 741P UK Hotpoint
WMFG 741P UK.M Hotpoint
WMFUG 742 P UK.M Hotpoint
WMFUG 742G UK Hotpoint
WMFUG 742P UK Hotpoint
WMFUG 842P UK.M Hotpoint
WMJLF 842P UK Hotpoint
WMJLL 742P UK Hotpoint
WMSAQG 621P UK Hotpoint
WMXTF 742G UK Hotpoint
WMXTF 742K UK Hotpoint
WMXTF 742P UK Hotpoint
WMXTF 742P UK.M Hotpoint
WMXTF 842P UK.M Hotpoint
WMYL 7151PS UK Hotpoint
XWA 81252X K UK Indesit
XWA 81252X W UK Indesit
XWD 71452X K UK Indesit

What can you do?

Whirlpool has set up a model checker online. Owners of Hotpoint and Indesit washing machines bought since October 2014 will need to enter the model and serial number of their appliance - found inside the door or on the back - to see if it is one of those affected.

There is also a free helpline, open every day, available on 0800 316 1442.

If affected, to eliminate any risk, the appliance should be unplugged and not used until it repaired in their home by a trained engineer, Whirlpool said. As an alternative, those affected will also be offered a replacement with a safe model.

Owners can check and register for a repair or replacement now. Vulnerable customers will be prioritised, but for others it may be organised on a first come, first served basis.
Link appears to be working now as @ 13:55 Weds 18/12/19

washingmachinerecall.whirlpool.co.uk/

Groups

Top comments
Full list of the 42 models of Hotpoint and Indesit washing machines affected

FML 742P UK Hotpoint
WMAOD 743G UK Hotpoint
WMAOD 743P UK Hotpoint
WMAQB 721P UK.M Hotpoint
WMAQC 641P UK.M Hotpoint
WMAQC 741G UK Hotpoint
WMAQC 741P UK Hotpoint
WMAQC 741P UK.M Hotpoint
WMAQF 621G UK Hotpoint
WMAQF 621P UK Hotpoint
WMAQF 721G UK Hotpoint
WMAQF 721P UK.M Hotpoint
WMAQL 621G UK Hotpoint
WMBF 742G UK Hotpoint
WMBF 742K UK Hotpoint
WMBF 742P UK Hotpoint
WMBF 742P UK.M Hotpoint
WMBF 763P UK Hotpoint
WMEF 722 BC UK Hotpoint
WMEF 742 P UK Hotpoint
WMEUF 722P UK Hotpoint
WMEUF 743G UK Hotpoint
WMEUF 743P UK Hotpoint
WMFG 741P UK Hotpoint
WMFG 741P UK.M Hotpoint
WMFUG 742G UK Hotpoint
WMFUG 742P UK Hotpoint
WMFUG 842P UK.M Hotpoint
WMJLF 842P UK Hotpoint
WMJLL 742P UK Hotpoint
WMSAQG 621P UK Hotpoint
WMXTF 742G UK Hotpoint
WMXTF 742K UK Hotpoint
WMXTF 742P UK Hotpoint
WMXTF 742P UK.M Hotpoint
WMXTF 842P UK.M Hotpoint
WMYL 7151PS UK Hotpoint
XWA 81252X K UK Indesit
XWA 81252X W UK Indesit
XWD 71452X K UK Indesit
Talk about bad timing, I just got an email from HUKD with the subject "Something's on fire here!"

Though thankfully no washing machines in the 20 odd deals within the email!
Edited by: "MackemLad" 17th Dec 2019
Taz152917/12/2019 17:23

2 people to blame here. The customer and the company. If we all bought …2 people to blame here. The customer and the company. If we all bought Miele washing machines, this problem wouldn't exist, because Whirlpool would be competing on the same playing field

Bit unfair to blame the customer on this considering;

1. Miele products are not in reach of everyones budget / price points - and -
2. A lot of people out there don't pay attention to brands and their reputation, they see a price they like and they buy, simple as that.

Regardless, NO product out there should be putting anyones lives at risk, no matter how much they pay for it.
bbbking17/12/2019 13:39

had mine fixed by the engineer but sold it as i didn't want to chance it …had mine fixed by the engineer but sold it as i didn't want to chance it as some have had the mod done and still caught fire !!

I hope you let the people who bought it off you that you were worried about the risk
190 Comments
Whoops
Already posted.

Also, this issue does not affect Whirlpool branded machines.
Don't panic if your model number begins with an 'S'. They're not affected. Site it's very slow, so this may put some minds at rest.
Talk about bad timing, I just got an email from HUKD with the subject "Something's on fire here!"

Though thankfully no washing machines in the 20 odd deals within the email!
Edited by: "MackemLad" 17th Dec 2019
Looks like their help site has itself.

I'll try again later to see if im affected. Annoying.
melted17/12/2019 13:17

Already posted. Also, this issue does not affect Whirlpool branded …Already posted. Also, this issue does not affect Whirlpool branded machines.

Recall was only just announced, and Whirlpool are the lead manufacturer of the brands affected.
Also worth mentioning Washing machines bearing the Whirlpool brand name are not affected.

You'll need the serial number and model number, which are usually under/behind the door, or are otherwise on the back if you are unlucky. Manufacturer Recall Link here

mirror.co.uk/mon…288

• FML 742P UK Hotpoint
  • WMAOD 743G UK Hotpoint
  • WMAOD 743P UK Hotpoint
  • WMAQB 721P UK.M Hotpoint
  • WMAQC 641P UK.M Hotpoint
  • WMAQC 741G UK Hotpoint
  • WMAQC 741P UK Hotpoint
  • WMAQC 741P UK.M Hotpoint
  • WMAQF 621G UK Hotpoint
  • WMAQF 621P UK Hotpoint
  • WMAQF 641 P UK.M Hotpoint
  • WMAQF 721G UK Hotpoint
  • WMAQF 721P UK.M Hotpoint
  • WMAQL 621G UK Hotpoint
  • WMBF 742G UK Hotpoint
  • WMBF 742K UK Hotpoint
  • WMBF 742P UK Hotpoint
  • WMBF 742P UK.M Hotpoint
  • WMBF 763P UK Hotpoint
  • WMEF 722 BC UK Hotpoint
  • WMEF 742 P UK Hotpoint
  • WMEUF 722P UK Hotpoint
  • WMEUF 743G UK Hotpoint
  • WMEUF 743P UK Hotpoint
  • WMFG 741P UK Hotpoint
  • WMFG 741P UK.M Hotpoint
  • WMFUG 742 P UK.M Hotpoint
  • WMFUG 742G UK Hotpoint
  • WMFUG 742P UK Hotpoint
  • WMFUG 842P UK.M Hotpoint
  • WMJLF 842P UK Hotpoint
  • WMJLL 742P UK Hotpoint
  • WMSAQG 621P UK Hotpoint
  • WMXTF 742G UK Hotpoint
  • WMXTF 742K UK Hotpoint
  • WMXTF 742P UK Hotpoint
  • WMXTF 742P UK.M Hotpoint
  • WMXTF 842P UK.M Hotpoint
  • WMYL 7151PS UK Hotpoint
  • XWA 81252X K UK Indesit
  • XWA 81252X W UK Indesit
  • XWD 71452X K UK Indesit
Edited by: "melted" 17th Dec 2019
Only bought one a few months ago, hopefully not affected.
Just saw this, big oopsy
Online model checker not working.
had mine fixed by the engineer but sold it as i didn't want to chance it as some have had the mod done and still caught fire !!
I mm guessing candy is not effected then? Mustn’t be the models which candy sell but are exact same as hotpoints
Used similar occasion to replace my Indesit machine - trouble free as long as you machine is affected. Had no receipts or any prove whatsoever I was the owner of the affected tumble dryer - no questions asked.
Safety first, I guess! 🙌
msmyth17/12/2019 13:35

Recall was only just announced, and Whirlpool are the lead manufacturer of …Recall was only just announced, and Whirlpool are the lead manufacturer of the brands affected.

Yep, I heard it on the headlines at 1pm, see the post before yours.

Hotpoint and indesit are Whirlpool owned companies and brands, but your title suggests that Whirlpool Branded machines are also affected.
Thanks, will check when I get home because I've no idea what my brand of washing machine is
MackemLad17/12/2019 13:32

Talk about bad timing, I just got an email from HUKD with the subject …Talk about bad timing, I just got an email from HUKD with the subject "Something's on fire here!" Though thankfully no washing machines in the 20 odd deals within the email!

Bad timing stories. I worked for an IT publisher in 2001. It was September. We were running banner ads for a recruitment company featuring people running and jumping out of skyscrapers because they hated their job so much.

On September 12th 2001, we realised we probably should pull those ads down.
Ours wasn't affected by the last recall, perhaps this time it will be! I could do with a new one!

Their checker is having a meltdown though, just like Hotpoints profits.
Mine was affected 2 years ago and they gave me a brand new one
Oh nooo not again! Thank you x
Thanks for the heads up...now if only their website worked I coudl check it!

had mine fixed by the engineer but sold it as i didn't want to chance it …had mine fixed by the engineer but sold it as i didn't want to chance it as some have had the mod done and still caught fire !!

I hope you let the people who bought it off you that you were worried about the risk
The joys of buying budget brand products!
awesomegiles2617/12/2019 13:40

I mm guessing candy is not effected then? Mustn’t be the models which c …I mm guessing candy is not effected then? Mustn’t be the models which candy sell but are exact same as hotpoints

Different company entirely. Candy owns the Hoover brand but has never been part of the Indesit group of companies (Indesit owned Hotpoint prior to Whirlpool purchasing the Indesit Uk group).
This is washing machines, if so should be in title some may mistake it for dryers.
Nearly jumped out of my seat than I realized I have hoover.
Website is broke, and when you call customer services they are telling people to phone back in a few hours...
NONE of the staff have been told what models are affected, and because of website/it issues they don't have a clue what models are affected...

FARCE!
Edited by: "pauledwardking1" 17th Dec 2019
pauledwardking117/12/2019 14:13

Website is broke, and when you call customer services they are telling …Website is broke, and when you call customer services they are telling people to phone back in a few hours...NONE of the staff have been told what models are affected, and because of website/it issues they don't have a clue what models are affected... FARCE!

Yep. Just got told the systems are down after phoning too. Ridiculous

FML 742P UK Hotpoint
WMAOD 743G UK Hotpoint
WMAOD 743P UK Hotpoint
WMAQB 721P UK.M Hotpoint
WMAQC 641P UK.M Hotpoint
WMAQC 741G UK Hotpoint
WMAQC 741P UK Hotpoint
WMAQC 741P UK.M Hotpoint
WMAQF 621G UK Hotpoint
WMAQF 621P UK Hotpoint
WMAQF 721G UK Hotpoint
WMAQF 721P UK.M Hotpoint
WMAQL 621G UK Hotpoint
WMBF 742G UK Hotpoint
WMBF 742K UK Hotpoint
WMBF 742P UK Hotpoint
WMBF 742P UK.M Hotpoint
WMBF 763P UK Hotpoint
WMEF 722 BC UK Hotpoint
WMEF 742 P UK Hotpoint
WMEUF 722P UK Hotpoint
WMEUF 743G UK Hotpoint
WMEUF 743P UK Hotpoint
WMFG 741P UK Hotpoint
WMFG 741P UK.M Hotpoint
WMFUG 742G UK Hotpoint
WMFUG 742P UK Hotpoint
WMFUG 842P UK.M Hotpoint
WMJLF 842P UK Hotpoint
WMJLL 742P UK Hotpoint
WMSAQG 621P UK Hotpoint
WMXTF 742G UK Hotpoint
WMXTF 742K UK Hotpoint
WMXTF 742P UK Hotpoint
WMXTF 742P UK.M Hotpoint
WMXTF 842P UK.M Hotpoint
WMYL 7151PS UK Hotpoint
XWA 81252X K UK Indesit
XWA 81252X W UK Indesit
XWD 71452X K UK Indesit

Hmm so are u fine with the chance that someone who you sold it to might catch fire?
Not been using Calgon have they?
The last recall for hotpoint was the driers and people were waiting months for a repair and hotpoint wouldn’t replace recalled machines just gave advice of not to use them guy I know who’s a engineer for them said they had about 300 engineers nationwide doing 5-8 fixes a day!
Could be another long wait!!
tumble dryers now there washing machine lol
chridt17/12/2019 14:23

The last recall for hotpoint was the driers and people were waiting months …The last recall for hotpoint was the driers and people were waiting months for a repair and hotpoint wouldn’t replace recalled machines just gave advice of not to use them guy I know who’s a engineer for them said they had about 300 engineers nationwide doing 5-8 fixes a day!Could be another long wait!!

did you also tell you the fix was just a little rivet to stop the lint. but it does not stop it only propose it.
so this fix was not even a fix. as many have also reported it as it does not fix the issue

read the article. this is now for washing machines not tumble dryers
memawheeze17/12/2019 14:20

Full list of the 42 models of Hotpoint and Indesit washing machines …Full list of the 42 models of Hotpoint and Indesit washing machines affectedFML 742P UK HotpointWMAOD 743G UK HotpointWMAOD 743P UK HotpointWMAQB 721P UK.M HotpointWMAQC 641P UK.M HotpointWMAQC 741G UK HotpointWMAQC 741P UK HotpointWMAQC 741P UK.M HotpointWMAQF 621G UK HotpointWMAQF 621P UK HotpointWMAQF 641 P UK.M HotpointWMAQF 721G UK HotpointWMAQF 721P UK.M HotpointWMAQL 621G UK HotpointWMBF 742G UK HotpointWMBF 742K UK HotpointWMBF 742P UK HotpointWMBF 742P UK.M HotpointWMBF 763P UK HotpointWMEF 722 BC UK HotpointWMEF 742 P UK HotpointWMEUF 722P UK HotpointWMEUF 743G UK HotpointWMEUF 743P UK HotpointWMFG 741P UK HotpointWMFG 741P UK.M HotpointWMFUG 742 P UK.M HotpointWMFUG 742G UK HotpointWMFUG 742P UK HotpointWMFUG 842P UK.M HotpointWMJLF 842P UK HotpointWMJLL 742P UK HotpointWMSAQG 621P UK HotpointWMXTF 742G UK HotpointWMXTF 742K UK HotpointWMXTF 742P UK HotpointWMXTF 742P UK.M HotpointWMXTF 842P UK.M HotpointWMYL 7151PS UK HotpointXWA 81252X K UK IndesitXWA 81252X W UK IndesitXWD 71452X K UK Indesit

Thank you for this! As if they have to cheek to make an announcement like this then don't have the infrastructure to keep a website live or people at call centres.

Unfortunately mine is affected. Only got it delivered 6 weeks ago.
Mackan17/12/2019 14:28

did you also tell you the fix was just a little rivet to stop the lint. …did you also tell you the fix was just a little rivet to stop the lint. but it does not stop it only propose it. so this fix was not even a fix. as many have also reported it as it does not fix the issue

Didn’t go into the specifics he was just glad of the work
20 years or so ago Hotpoint used to be one of the best brands. Feel for the people who have these and the worry that now comes with it.
Thanks OP. I'll check ours once the current cycle finishes.
chridt17/12/2019 14:23

The last recall for hotpoint was the driers and people were waiting months …The last recall for hotpoint was the driers and people were waiting months for a repair and hotpoint wouldn’t replace recalled machines just gave advice of not to use them guy I know who’s a engineer for them said they had about 300 engineers nationwide doing 5-8 fixes a day!Could be another long wait!!

I recently had my dryer replaced - we'd bought a house with the appliances included. To be fair within 2 weeks of reporting it, we had a brand new dryer and they took the old one away. The problem i have is that the serial number is at the back of the machine which means it's not easily accessible which is why the previous owners never checked and I only did following the latest media push.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions