hotpoint recalled tumble dryer

Found 10th Feb 2016
I have discovered today I have one of the recalled hotpoint tumble dryers. It was ordered on the 21st November 2015 and delivered on the 26th from Tesco direct.
The recall was on the 23rd November so mine was delivered after the recall and I believe shouldn't have been sold to me.
It was on this morning today and chief fire officer is recommending not to use so it's not fit for purpose.
Does anybody know if I'd be entitled to a refund from Tesco, I don't want to wait the 10 odd weeks for a hotpoint repair.
Many thanks in advance if anyone is able to help

27 Comments

Have you phoned Tesco to ask?

Yes u would b under the sales of goods act... This act has just change in October 2015... Which means they have one chance to fix the problem or u get refund. But tesco will know this n they should offer u refund... Hope it helps..

Original Poster

Thanks for your help guys. Yes, I did phone them yesterday but basically they said they will ring me back today (they best do) so I want to be armed with my rights.
Thank you SAM11R, it is helpful. I'm just kinda hoping they will replace, in fact I'd really like a different brand. On this morning programme it was said people have still had them catch fire even when they had been 'fixed'
It's a death trap!

Ours is subject to the recall too. It's 7 weeks to the day since they contacted me and I replied. They said they would contact me within 8 weeks, not holding my breath.
To be fair, I watched yesterday's TV and the fire officer was trying to stress that white goods are all a common cause of fires in houses, regardless of brand. Hence why economy 7 is not such a great thing as it entices people to run washing machines etc overnight.
If our dryers do catch fire I suspect home insurance companies will say we should take Whirlpool to court and they wouldn't pay out anyway.

Original Poster

Hi, many thanks for your reply. I'm really annoyed though because it should never have been sent out to me, it was delivered on the 26th, 2/3 days after the recall. That's my argument - it should never have been delivered and since people are having to wait till May and June to have them 'fixed' that doesn't seem a reasonable amount of time either.
Just waiting on a call from Tesco, on tenderhooks at the mo

It is only a certain batch of each model that is faulty. Have you checked that yours is one of that batch.?
Edited by: "Peegy" 11th Feb 2016

Original Poster

Hi, thanks but yes I've checked and it is one of the affected ones

I've got a faulty dryer purchased in 2008.

I only had my letter arrive on Monday. So it has managed 8 years without burning my house down so far, so the next 8 weeks or so should be okay. Touch wood.
Edited by: "Bobbajob" 11th Feb 2016

Original Poster

Hi, many thanks for that, it is reassuring. I'm too concerned to use it at the moment though. I've received one call today from Tesco but waiting on one from customer care.
It is very unfair that this was even despatched to me knowing that they had recalled them 2/3 days before it was delivered

Hotpoint are an absolute joke. My tumble dryer is at risk. I registered mine with them at the end of November / beginning of December. Mine is a 2007 model !! They rang me in January and I missed the call. They didn't ring back and they didn't leave a voicemail. I rang the number, it didn't answer. They sent me an email yesterday and said my estimated repair date was MAY !!!!!!!!

They gave me an other alternative. Either a 7kg vented dryer brand new at £59.00 or an 8kg condensing dryer for £99.00. No way would I have a condensing dryer, even if it was free so fill ed out the form for the cheaper vented dryer and guess what. It wouldn't let me order it. It cannot be a stock issue as all of their preferred suppliers show stock. So why can I not proceed with the cheaper one. I could proceed with the dearer one if I wanted as it allocated me a delivery date which it wouldn't for the other.

I sent them an email to day and will hold my breath. £59.00 is a good deal for a straight swap with my nearly 9 year old machine. If only they would let me order.

Original Poster

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply. Tesco have been as useful as a chocolate teapot, just brushing me off and saying Hotpoint will call you. Well I will be contacting trading standards if they don't sort it out. My contract is with Tesco not Hotpoint and the goods was not of merchandable quality because there was a fault at the point of manufacture

Got my email yesterday
Opted for the 8kg vented for £59. Apparently worth 249 (though available for 230 online) still a bargain.

Handy as the 3 year old it's replacing was only 129 from ao.com

Delivering Thursday they reckon. Happy days!

Not as safe to use as you may think....

Even a fixed one caught fire apparently

http://s23.postimg.org/lofzwaurv/IMG_20160211_225557.jpg

Original Poster

I'm not surprised by that, just as its been said on this morning they are still dangerous. I will never buy Hotpoint, Creda, Indesit or Whirlpool products ever again.
Tesco's better sort this out for me or I'm going to take it as far as I can

markandbridget

I'm not surprised by that, just as its been said on this morning they are … I'm not surprised by that, just as its been said on this morning they are still dangerous. I will never buy Hotpoint, Creda, Indesit or Whirlpool products ever again.Tesco's better sort this out for me or I'm going to take it as far as I can

I thought it was Whirlpool's taking over of the business that brought the issue of the tumble dryers to light......I would never have a Hotpoint, Indesit or Creda or Hoover washer but our tumble dryer has been stripped down a couple of times by me to replace the belt and found no fluff anywhere other than where its supposed to collect and in the vent tube. Saying that they are very poorly made. Changing the belt on one of these is a skin tearing exercise and the rear bearing is just a brass bush. The steel spindle wears through the bush in time and then starts to eat away at the metal casing. A proper bearing would cost a couple of quid extra. No doubt thought up by an accountant and not an engineer. The same goes for their front panel on washing machines. Behind the front panel on all of their machines is the printed circuit board that controls everything. The plastic is so thin that every time you press a button you are flexing the pcb behind it. Eventually the pcb will crack and the machine will fail. Proper machines have a thicker panel or place the pcb on the top of the machine where it can't flex. I was once told by a Currys white goods manager never ever to buy one of their washing machines and Hoover also.

As I have an at risk tumble dryer I will take them up on their offer of a new machine for £59.00 and will check if it appears on their list lol. I had my present one since 2007 so something's going to go soon and I know the rear bearing is 5hagged and this time it will be more than the rear bush as it needs the overhaul kit which is about £20.00 so worth it for me and I get to keep my skin where it belong on my fingers and hands.
Edited by: "Smartguy1" 12th Feb 2016

Original Poster

Smartguy1

I thought it was Whirlpool's taking over of the business that brought the … I thought it was Whirlpool's taking over of the business that brought the issue of the tumble dryers to light......I would never have a Hotpoint, Indesit or Creda or Hoover washer but our tumble dryer has been stripped down a couple of times by me to replace the belt and found no fluff anywhere other than where its supposed to collect and in the vent tube. Saying that they are very poorly made. Changing the belt on one of these is a skin tearing exercise and the rear bearing is just a brass bush. The steel spindle wears through the bush in time and then starts to eat away at the metal casing. A proper bearing would cost a couple of quid extra. No doubt thought up by an accountant and not an engineer. The same goes for their front panel on washing machines. Behind the front panel on all of their machines is the printed circuit board that controls everything. The plastic is so thin that every time you press a button you are flexing the pcb behind it. Eventually the pcb will crack and the machine will fail. Proper machines have a thicker panel or place the pcb on the top of the machine where it can't flex. I was once told by a Currys white goods manager never ever to buy one of their washing machines and Hoover also. As I have an at risk tumble dryer I will take them up on their offer of a new machine for £59.00 and will check if it appears on their list lol. I had my present one since 2007 so something's going to go soon and I know the rear bearing is 5hagged and this time it will be more than the rear bush as it needs the overhaul kit which is about £20.00 so worth it for me and I get to keep my skin where it belong on my fingers and hands.

Yes, I was told it's because whirlpool are more stringent but with the chief fire officers association, electrical safety council etc saying do not use the machines are not fit for purpose.
Also as they require modification and have been issued with a safety notice it should be done with a reasonable amount of time but people are having to wait months and I'm sure that not reasonable.
Still waiting on Tesco's to ring me back, won't be buying white goods from them again either and they can go sit and shrivel for their groceries an all

Smartguy1

I thought it was Whirlpool's taking over of the business that brought the … I thought it was Whirlpool's taking over of the business that brought the issue of the tumble dryers to light......I would never have a Hotpoint, Indesit or Creda or Hoover washer but our tumble dryer has been stripped down a couple of times by me to replace the belt and found no fluff anywhere other than where its supposed to collect and in the vent tube. Saying that they are very poorly made. Changing the belt on one of these is a skin tearing exercise and the rear bearing is just a brass bush. The steel spindle wears through the bush in time and then starts to eat away at the metal casing. A proper bearing would cost a couple of quid extra. No doubt thought up by an accountant and not an engineer. The same goes for their front panel on washing machines. Behind the front panel on all of their machines is the printed circuit board that controls everything. The plastic is so thin that every time you press a button you are flexing the pcb behind it. Eventually the pcb will crack and the machine will fail. Proper machines have a thicker panel or place the pcb on the top of the machine where it can't flex. I was once told by a Currys white goods manager never ever to buy one of their washing machines and Hoover also. As I have an at risk tumble dryer I will take them up on their offer of a new machine for £59.00 and will check if it appears on their list lol. I had my present one since 2007 so something's going to go soon and I know the rear bearing is 5hagged and this time it will be more than the rear bush as it needs the overhaul kit which is about £20.00 so worth it for me and I get to keep my skin where it belong on my fingers and hands.

Re: taking them up on the offer:
My friends told them that they were not going to accept the repair offer as they do not trust them to do it properly. A few days later they had a new tumble dryer delivered.

Why on Earth should we pay them MORE because they'd sold us tumble dryers unfit for purpose?

I have a Creda that isn't on the affected list but i have noticed a horrid chemically/burnt smell coming off of it. So I am looking to buy a replacement now. Its in the convervatory but right next to the boiler so not risking it!

Original Poster

jude7219

I have a Creda that isn't on the affected list but i have noticed a … I have a Creda that isn't on the affected list but i have noticed a horrid chemically/burnt smell coming off of it. So I am looking to buy a replacement now. Its in the convervatory but right next to the boiler so not risking it!

They're all the same company I believe and I don't trust any appliances from them anymore. If my dryer was years old and not only 3 months old I'd be tempted to just scrap it. I don't know what to think anymore just wish I'd listened to my instincts in the first place and not bought Hotpoint but Tesco didn't have a lot of choice and I couldn't afford to buy one out right so I used the clubcard boost. That was November.

I just received an email from these totally wonderful ( NOT!!! ) Hotpoint people informing me that my appointment for the 'modification' to my recalled tumble dryer should be in DECEMBER!!!??? I stopped using it as soon as I found out it was one of the affected ones and I most certainly do NOT want a repair done on a potentially lethal electrical appliance thank you very much!!
It is totally outrageous that they tell us they are safe to use but only if you are there watching the machine!? I also checked with my insurance company and they informed me that I will not be covered if I use the machine as I have been warned that it is a potential fire risk!!
Under the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994 these affected machines are 'not fit for purpose' and therefore as consumers we are entitled to a' refund, repair or replacement'.
As Hotpoint are offering £200 off a brand new replacement dryer as their so called goodwill gesture ( only applies if you purchase their brand and their choice of 2 machines!! ) what are the chances of getting a £200 cash refund to purchase a replacement dryer of your own choosing!!??

nothappy1959

I just received an email from these totally wonderful ( NOT!!! ) … I just received an email from these totally wonderful ( NOT!!! ) Hotpoint people informing me that my appointment for the 'modification' to my recalled tumble dryer should be in DECEMBER!!!??? I stopped using it as soon as I found out it was one of the affected ones and I most certainly do NOT want a repair done on a potentially lethal electrical appliance thank you very much!!It is totally outrageous that they tell us they are safe to use but only if you are there watching the machine!? I also checked with my insurance company and they informed me that I will not be covered if I use the machine as I have been warned that it is a potential fire risk!!Under the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994 these affected machines are 'not fit for purpose' and therefore as consumers we are entitled to a' refund, repair or replacement'.As Hotpoint are offering £200 off a brand new replacement dryer as their so called goodwill gesture ( only applies if you purchase their brand and their choice of 2 machines!! ) what are the chances of getting a £200 cash refund to purchase a replacement dryer of your own choosing!!??

I wouldn't hold your breath. They rang me yesterday, missed the call and then again to book me in for my repair. They sounded a little embarrassed when I said that I had taken them up on their offer of a new machine for £59.00 and it had been replaced more than two weeks ago !! In my case the dryer was 9 years old and need a new rear bearing so was worth the extra. Apart from that I had no issues with the dryer.

Original Poster

Just a quick update. I've received a refund on my dryer. Hotpoint phoned 3ish weeks after I had asked Tesco to help me. They gave me an uplift number which I gave to Tesco and when it had been collected Tesco refunded me.

Hmmm,

I'm in the same boat. I got the recall notice replied straight away expecting an engineer within 8 weeks. However I have now been told that the engineer is expected to be booked in for December but they can't guarantee that

So 9 months wait if I want it repaired free of charge. Or I can get a replacement Hotpoint one for £59.

The Indesit one which we currently own cost £164 when we purchased it is July 2013. It has been faultless and is still running perfectly now. So we've only had it 2 and a half years.

I don't feel over happy about having to fork out another £59 to correct their mistake, I wouldn't have been looking for a newer machine - but now I have to pay or risk using a potentially unsafe appliance for 9+ months.

The ironic thing is that the Indesit one was bought to replace our old one which went up in smoke!

So what would you do?

Pay the £59 for a safer machine and at least it means it is a brand new machine with warranty and no wear.

Wait 9+ months for a free repair but have an older machine which may well need £59 or more spending on it (or may well go on for years to come)

Moan and see if I can get a better deal?

Wait and see if they offer something better in the future?

keep moaning and complaining because nobody knows if the £59 or £99 dryers they want to sell us as a goodwill gesture are safe!!??-I have no faith now and I am really not looking forward to sitting and watching my dryer until estimated date of repair in December!!??

nothappy1959

keep moaning and complaining because nobody knows if the £59 or £99 d … keep moaning and complaining because nobody knows if the £59 or £99 dryers they want to sell us as a goodwill gesture are safe!!??-I have no faith now and I am really not looking forward to sitting and watching my dryer until estimated date of repair in December!!??

I paid the £59.00 to replace my old dryer. I had stripped mine down twice before to replace the belt and as far as I could tell there wasn't any fluff that could get anywhere near the heating element. I was happy to pay the £59.00 for a new machine and I have checked the serial number to see that it is not on the list and it isn't. As with all of these things there have been a couple of instances were something wasn't right, unfortunately with fatal consequences but no company is going to be stupid enough to ignore the issues and then replace the item with a device that has the same problem. If you have an old machine like I did it's worth paying the money. The key point on any tumble dryer is to make sure the fluff tray is emptied regularly and I hoover mine out as the fluff used to get all over the inside of the door on my old machine.

Banned

Smartguy1

no company is going to be stupid enough to ignore the issues and then … no company is going to be stupid enough to ignore the issues and then replace the item with a device that has the same problem. If you have an old machine like I did it's worth paying the money. The key point on any tumble dryer is to make sure the fluff tray is emptied regularly and I hoover mine out as the fluff used to get all over the inside of the door on my old machine.

You should have seen the morning news.

Hotpoint (group) admitted its recall if failing & there is no way they will be properly underway & nearly complete until 2017

YouDontWantToKnow

You should have seen the morning news.Hotpoint (group) admitted its … You should have seen the morning news.Hotpoint (group) admitted its recall if failing & there is no way they will be properly underway & nearly complete until 2017

I am not really sure I understand your comment. I think you read my statement wrong or have they been stupid enough to replace a defective machine with a defective machine . The directors of the company should be held responsible for deliberately putting lives at risk as I would have thought someone must have known about the fault and what causes it. I work in manufacturing and we put right things that go wrong but what we make don't cause fires or put peoples lives at risk. As far as I can make out Hotpoint still haven't said why or how fluff can come in contact with the heating element. Like I said I stripped mine down twice and although it's not a feature of engineering excellence I could not see on mine how fluff can go where it shouldn't and the vent system on the 2016 model which I have looks identical to the 2007 model it replaced. Its a very primitive design and you practically have to dismantle the whole machine just to replace the drive belt. The rear bearing on these isn't even a bearing. Its a steel rod fitted into a brass bush. In time the steel rod wears through the brass bush and then it starts wearing a slot in the rear casing. Not a clever design feature and if an engineer designed that idea he should send his city and guilds or degree certificate back with a little note saying he is not worthy of such a document. It should be a proper bearing which at that size costs about a fiver. I made the choice of paying the £59.00 due to the age of my machine. Anyone who has one that is less than 6 years old should get their exchanged for free under the Sale of Goods Act considering the recent bad press.

Perhaps not a few isolated cases. More than 700 according to the press. Now that is a worry and what was the recall before...Hot point dishwasher. I have one of those too, now that is a worry. I wouldn't have thought it that difficult for a manufacturer to ensure it's products were safe.
Edited by: "Smartguy1" 10th Mar 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions