Groups

Hotpoint tells tumble dryer owners: unplug faulty machines due to fire risk

Following from yesterdays threads, in today's Guardian:

Whirlpool – which also owns Indesit, Creda and Proline – changes advice after criticism from trading standards and Which?

The maker of Hotpoint and Indesit tumble dryers has changed its advice to the owners of millions of potentially dangerous machines, telling customers to unplug the appliances and stop using them until they are repaired.

Whirlpool – whose brands also include Creda, Swan and Proline – on Wednesday updated the advice on its website after receiving two enforcement notices from Peterborough trading standards. In December the trading standards office was threatened with a judicial review by consumer group Which? for its handling of the “fiasco” of the faulty machines. Whirlpool has also been advised to publicise the changed advice to consumers through advertisements in national newspapers, through social media and in stores.

theguardian.com/mon…ine

Check affected models here

59 Comments

Thanks for the update ,it appears now my model is affected after they told me it was safe.

I have a hotpoint dryer that is effected by this rang them up and they want to charge me £100 to change there faulty dryer what a rip off already paid enough for there faulty dryer

Carterace15

I have a hotpoint dryer that is effected by this rang them up and they … I have a hotpoint dryer that is effected by this rang them up and they want to charge me £100 to change there faulty dryer what a rip off already paid enough for there faulty dryer

I'd definitely check again. I was offered a free repair or the option to upgrade to a better model for £100.

I started a thread on this last year when news very first broke out about it I was one of the very first to ring and get a replacement FREE OF CHARGE a week or two later they wouldn't replace free and asked people to pay reduced price. It's a recall on safety they should fix or replace free of charge and this should of been dealt with long ago (imho)

Mine had the modification from the factory after waiting ages for a repair. It still gets insanely hot

I have an Indesit. Only 1 month old. How do I know if it's faulty xs

I have a hotpoint only bought it last month but looks the same as the one in the pic. How do I know if it's faulty?

sharlenerooney

LDevaux

I have a hotpoint only bought it last month but looks the same as the one … I have a hotpoint only bought it last month but looks the same as the one in the pic. How do I know if it's faulty?

You could read the article, that's what I would do if I was worried.

Here's link to find out. You just need your model number.
    safety.hotpoint.eu/ind…jsp

sharlenerooney

I'm sure they added a green dot/sticker on non faulty appliances

Had hotpoint out twice for mine as it almost blew up before my eyes! Still gets very very hot when on. I only put it on for 40mins a time. Tempted to call to replace for free now as it's just awful

I was told the identified issue wasn't deemed a fault. I argued and told them it was. When they said the repair could be over a year I told them I'd take the machine into the store because mine was under warranty. They fixed it the following week...

Just make a fuss and know your rights

I had a indesit for almost 3 years.. broke down due to the drum so i was advised to get a new one as mine was considered faulty . Flippin £80 it cost me.. guess what new hotpoint dryer keeps over heating

Damn, mine in the list and now registered for modification. At least I can use it according to Hotpoints site.

Thanks for posting this. Mine was supposed to be ok last year, I found the helpline useless, she told me to continue using the tumble dryer until they could confirm it was ok... Time to recheck it. Had various problems with my Hotpoint washer, their repair service was expensive and the repair guy was beyond rude. The brand just doesn't seem to have the same quality it used to have. I for one wouldn't purchase another Hotpoint product.

I eventually managed to get an engineer out, it must have took about 9 months. Incidentally, he told me that he had just been round a customer who had a condenser dryer like mine for years and reported a fault. Upon inspection, the condenser water tank had NEVER been emptied!
    The amount my missus has the bloody dryer on, the condenser tank supplies my daily baths for hot water..

Listen. How much do you guys pay for your house insurance? Sure the excess is well over £100 so why all the moaning over getting a brand newy for that price which is safe and secure and a much improved model. Ye I felt the rights and wrongs but I gave in rather than wait months for a repair which I wouldn't feel safe with. Mine was about 5 years old anyway so was a win win. Get a grip. Do you value your family's life and safety and peace of mind.

I had mine replaced free of charge. I went through their Facebook page and it was sorted no problem. I had a nightmare with them on the phone but the Facebook team were really helpful xx

my Model was not in the first list would this now mean it would be affected now?

Go on to their website safety.hotpoint.eu/cou…jsp and but your model and serial number in mine was located when I opened the door

It's ridiculous. We paid money and have one that's been waiting repair for god knows how long and I have children so lots of washing. I have only been using it when I'm home and working full time means I get nothing done. They have offered a free repair but only 9-5 which means that I need to take time off and lose money to fix their fault. Then they are only in my area periodically and ring me saying they will come next week when I can't take time off. This is beyond a joke!!

sharonhailmcquade

my Model was not in the first list would this now mean it would be … my Model was not in the first list would this now mean it would be affected now?

Check, neither was mine, yet now it is.

Mrpj69

Listen. How much do you guys pay for your house insurance? Sure the … Listen. How much do you guys pay for your house insurance? Sure the excess is well over £100 so why all the moaning over getting a brand newy for that price which is safe and secure and a much improved model. Ye I felt the rights and wrongs but I gave in rather than wait months for a repair which I wouldn't feel safe with. Mine was about 5 years old anyway so was a win win. Get a grip. Do you value your family's life and safety and peace of mind.

Are you not concerned that for 5 years you've had an unsafe appliance that could have burnt your house down & killed your family?

Got both of mines fixed last summer after a long wait

ddrill

Thanks for the update ,it appears now my model is affected after they … Thanks for the update ,it appears now my model is affected after they told me it was safe.

Me too.

I got a free replacement, because the dept who was dealing with my complaint didn't have the system to take pymt, result!!

My old machine was 7 years old as well. win, win!!

I have an indesit washer/dryer. When on a drying cycle all the lights would flash and on the screen it said f13 (didn't happen every time). When I opened the door really hot air would come out like it had just been heating up but jot spinning. Called indesit and they sent someone out to 'repair' it. Still happens now. Has anyone else had the same problem?

Our estimated date of repair that we got given last year was Feb this year and low and behold when logging in to check when in Feb they'll be coming greeted with this
    Overdue
    We're sorry we missed the date we originally estimated for your free of charge modification. We're working tirelessly to shorten the length of time it will take us to complete the modification programme, and we will re-arrange your appointment as quickly as we can.
    Edited by: "smegma75" 22nd Feb

Original Poster

lisajohnsonxxx

I have an indesit washer/dryer. When on a drying cycle all the lights … I have an indesit washer/dryer. When on a drying cycle all the lights would flash and on the screen it said f13 (didn't happen every time). When I opened the door really hot air would come out like it had just been heating up but jot spinning. Called indesit and they sent someone out to 'repair' it. Still happens now. Has anyone else had the same problem?

did you try googling your model number and that error code?

Can't fault Indesit. After the issue was brought to their attention, my dryer was replaced within a fortnight.

Unfortunately, just before hearing if the problem, I'd already manually replaced the heating element and the flywheel - they were literally brand new

Hot

nicolacleary73

I had mine replaced free of charge. I went through their Facebook page … I had mine replaced free of charge. I went through their Facebook page and it was sorted no problem. I had a nightmare with them on the phone but the Facebook team were really helpful xx

what is the FB page link please ?

My affected dryer was repaired and then broke down a couple of months later! They said the warranty for repairs only lasted 30 days and were going to charge me for a repair man to come out. Ridiculous! It was only a couple of years old! I threw it out and got a Bosch instead.
    Edited by: "Llz77" 22nd Feb

lisajohnsonxxx

I have an indesit washer/dryer. When on a drying cycle all the lights … I have an indesit washer/dryer. When on a drying cycle all the lights would flash and on the screen it said f13 (didn't happen every time). When I opened the door really hot air would come out like it had just been heating up but jot spinning. Called indesit and they sent someone out to 'repair' it. Still happens now. Has anyone else had the same problem?

google is your friend....it needs a new sensor

They email me weekly but will only offer me a midweek repair with no time slot. They have also phoned me a few times but the same story midweek only.
    I work and cant afford to take the time off, so always ask for a weekend slot to which they always say they will speak to their manager and call me back. Guess what I've never heard back!
    If they will go for it I may book an appointment and leave it in the garden for them to repair unless they are going to offer me compensation for a days loss of pay.

lisajohnsonxxx

I originally had a indesit for 6yrs and thought id take up the offer and buy the replacement for £59. When it arrived i noticed it had a buzzing noise even when on the off setting. Then after a week or so it was on a cycle for 20min and then lost all power so i put to the off dial and left it after a while all the lights came on and started flashing when on the off dial. This is now my 3rd replacement since november 2016. I am now waiting to hear what they are going to do as i refuse to have another replacement

HowardsMrs

I'm sure they added a green dot/sticker on non faulty appliances

The green dot/sticker doesn't mean your machine isn't faulty my machine had a green dot sticker but it was still one of the affected ones, indiset replaced my machine with a new one as it was only 4 months old.
    Edited by: "catully_1988" 23rd Feb

catully_1988

The green dot/sticker doesn't mean your machine isn't faulty my machine … The green dot/sticker doesn't mean your machine isn't faulty my machine had a green dot sticker but it was still one of the affected ones, indiset replaced my machine with a new one as it was only 4 months old.

I'm definitely calling them again. After posting my posts last night I noticed mine smelling again. They've been out twice to 'fix' it and I'm guessing there is still a fault. I'm not prepared for it to potentially blow again.

The website where Hotpoint owners can check their dryers won't accept my serial number, says it's wrong format. No explanation. I've used the serial number exactly as it is on the appliance. The serial number label on their picture is completely different from the one on the dryer.

0My label says: "Model" and "Serial Number" clearly enough but there are no bar codes.

Not very good.

Edited by: "androoski" 23rd Feb

I cannot understand why the government is not fining the company and putting them under more pressure.

Just checked mine, deemed safe last year it's now one of the ones affected. I always unplug it after use anyway. As for their page stating it's safe to use until they repair it, does anyone else feel uneasy about using theirs now?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Pet lifetime insurance advice needed22
      2. Ditched Sky33
      3. iPhone 7 32GB Black Unopened56
      4. Cheap 'smart phone' for child wanted.22

See more discussions