Hotpoint tumble dryer recall BARGAIN

Found 13th Feb 2016
OK as some of you might know Hotpoint are starting a massive recall for their tumble dryers as there is a potential fire risk if you are lazy and never clean your filter out.

Anyway they are sending out letters (many have already received them) about registering your dryer and receving an engineers call to fix the product.

I registered mine about 5 weeks ago and recevied an email today telling me of my repair status and currently i mine will be fixed in AUGUST!!!!!!!

however underneath the repair status on the webpage your email links you to is a button "view replacement options" which takes you to a page where you can buy a new dryer at a greatly reduced price.

There are two options; a condenser or vented dryer.

The vented dryer is this one:

currys.co.uk/gbu…tml?gclid=CMyc58HC9MoCFWLkwgodPVcEew&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~~~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&s_kwcid=AL!3391!3!82259937924!!!g!142487068164!&ef_id=VreotwAABRf8P02I:20160213102213:s

but through the hotpoint replacement programme it is yours for £59, not £229. the condensor option is £99 against a selling price of £299.

25 Comments

But the replacements are crap.

I understand that it's a very good saving but hotpoint are completely at fault and should never have sold these units in the first place. Why should the customers be putting yet more money into their pockets for something that was beyond their control. I am really annoyed at them on this one. It's only pure luck lots more haven't caught fire so far.

Original Poster

shauneco

But the replacements are crap.

Not done much research admittedly but 64 reviews at 4.5 stars would say otherwise

Original Poster

carlymt

I understand that it's a very good saving but hotpoint are completely at … I understand that it's a very good saving but hotpoint are completely at fault and should never have sold these units in the first place. Why should the customers be putting yet more money into their pockets for something that was beyond their control. I am really annoyed at them on this one. It's only pure luck lots more haven't caught fire so far.

You don't have to buy a new one. You can, as i alluded too, wait for your repair and not be out of pocket at all.

Ours is very old and whilst not broken it seems churlish to not buy a more efficent, highly rated (see reviews), better quality and under warranty NEW one for £59.

tighty

Not done much research admittedly but 64 reviews at 4.5 stars would say … Not done much research admittedly but 64 reviews at 4.5 stars would say otherwise

True I guess but lots of people were moaning on the other thread about it measuring different, Not drying clothes as well etc.. Plus it's an Hotpoint.

I'd opt for condenser as much more efficient and save you money in the long run.

Original Poster

shauneco

True I guess but lots of people were moaning on the other thread about it … True I guess but lots of people were moaning on the other thread about it measuring different, Not drying clothes as well etc.. Plus it's an Hotpoint. I'd opt for condenser as much more efficient and save you money in the long run.

other thread - have i been remiss, again, in not looking for this topic already? - link me if you free please

We had our new £99 condenser installed last week. We were thinking about getting a new one anyway as we had vented, and wanted to change. Even if it only lasts a few years, bargain.

No good for me ours is a graphite one and they will only give out white ones!!!!

shauneco

I'd opt for condenser as much more efficient and save you money in the … I'd opt for condenser as much more efficient and save you money in the long run.

Out of curiosity what makes you say that? i understood that whilst condenser units cost less to run per minute due to recycled heat, the actual drying system is less efficient and therefore the average time they take to dry clothes is much longer making the overall cost more expensive to run. is this wrong?

maddogb

Out of curiosity what makes you say that? i understood that whilst … Out of curiosity what makes you say that? i understood that whilst condenser units cost less to run per minute due to recycled heat, the actual drying system is less efficient and therefore the average time they take to dry clothes is much longer making the overall cost more expensive to run. is this wrong?

Going by the fact their aren't any A rated Vented dryers ( Most are C rated ), Yet plenty of A++ rated condensers, Ok they have Heat pumps but most the standard condensers are B rated.

The normal condenser dryers use a traditional element just like vented and take a similar amount of time to dry.

shauneco

Going by the fact their aren't any A rated Vented dryers ( Most are C … Going by the fact their aren't any A rated Vented dryers ( Most are C rated ), Yet plenty of A++ rated condensers, Ok they have Heat pumps but most the standard condensers are B rated. The normal condenser dryers use a traditional element just like vented and take a similar amount of time to dry..

funny that, never given it much thought before and just went on the advice given as it seemed logical.
Looking at the way wikipedia describes the energy rating is very unclear and it seems condenser units are given extra leeway in achieving categories so that a rated condenser unit can be less efficient than a equivalent rated vented unit, presumably to allow for the use of the pump as the difference seems to be roughly 10%.

maddogb

funny that, never given it much thought before and just went on the … funny that, never given it much thought before and just went on the advice given as it seemed logical.Looking at the way wikipedia describes the energy rating is very unclear and it seems condenser units are given extra leeway in achieving categories so that a rated condenser unit can be less efficient than a equivalent rated vented unit, presumably to allow for the use of the pump as the difference seems to be roughly 10%.

If you look on AO at just the B rated condensers and B rated vented they use a fairly similar amount of energy.

I don't think condensers take longer to dry at all, I would guess people tend to buy the cheaper condensers which probably perform fairly bad etc..

I'm a bit hacked off, as ours packed up just before they started all this re-call business and have now thrown ours away.

shauneco

If you look on AO at just the B rated condensers and B rated vented they … If you look on AO at just the B rated condensers and B rated vented they use a fairly similar amount of energy.I don't think condensers take longer to dry at all, I would guess people tend to buy the cheaper condensers which probably perform fairly bad etc..

I went to vented from a condenser and found it soooo much quicker, especially on second/third loads but in reality the condenser was about 7 years older so not really a fair comparison, would be interesting to do a side by side comparison now.
What i meant about the previous comment was if you look at wikipedia the vented version has to be roughly 8% more efficient than the condenser to achieve the same rating, bit of an unfair playing field.
Also it annoys me the manufacturers addition of ++ ratings which don't appear to be an official rating.

any one got details on the condensor

maddogb

I went to vented from a condenser and found it soooo much quicker, … I went to vented from a condenser and found it soooo much quicker, especially on second/third loads but in reality the condenser was about 7 years older so not really a fair comparison, would be interesting to do a side by side comparison now.What i meant about the previous comment was if you look at wikipedia the vented version has to be roughly 8% more efficient than the condenser to achieve the same rating, bit of an unfair playing field.Also it annoys me the manufacturers addition of ++ ratings which don't appear to be an official rating.

I guess so, Abit like the VW scandal lol, I much prefer condensers and like the fact they can be put anywhere in the house due to fact no vent etc..

tighty

other thread - have i been remiss, again, in not looking for this topic … other thread - have i been remiss, again, in not looking for this topic already? - link me if you free please

Only 532 comments to read through!!

According to the Mirror, even after the repair, the problem is not fixed. I would avoid the company
at all costs. I will stick with Bosch.. The Germans do know how to make reliable products. Might be abit expensive but better than having a fire bomb in the house.

shauneco

If you look on AO at just the B rated condensers and B rated vented they … If you look on AO at just the B rated condensers and B rated vented they use a fairly similar amount of energy.I don't think condensers take longer to dry at all, I would guess people tend to buy the cheaper condensers which probably perform fairly bad etc..

The 'B' efficiency rating band for a condenser straddles the 'B' and 'C' bands for vented dryers, so a condenser whose efficiency lied dead centre in the B band would only have rated a C if it had been a vented model.

Also with a standard condenser, the warmer the room the less efficient they are, they also release more heat and moisture into the room.

Vented are also simpler and more reliable and also cheaper in the first place. Although they do need a hole in the wall.

The condenser hotpoint are offering does actually have a slightly lower kwh/year rating than the vented model, but typically vented are more efficient.

see ukwhitegoods.co.uk/hel…ide

Edited by: "melted" 13th Feb 2016

melted

The 'B' efficiency rating band for a condenser straddles the 'B' and 'C' … The 'B' efficiency rating band for a condenser straddles the 'B' and 'C' bands for vented dryers, so a condenser whose efficiency lied dead centre in the B band would only have rated a C if it had been a vented model. Also with a standard condenser, the warmer the room the less efficient they are, they also release more heat and moisture into the room. Vented are also simpler and more reliable and also cheaper in the first place. Although they do need a hole in the wall.The condenser hotpoint are offering does actually have a slightly lower kwh/year rating than the vented model, but typically vented are more efficient.see http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/buying-advice/tumble-dryers/2797-tumble-dryer-buying-guide

I understand that but going by the kwh usage on most B rated condensers and vented dryers seem to reveal a very similar kwh. I guess they could take a little longer to dry then?.

Perhaps a better way would be to rate them on how much energy they use per cycle.

I guess pro's are no external pipe and not much else lol, Unless you get one with an heat pump which use far less energy? However they tend to cost 4x as much so it'd probably take 10 years to save money, That's if they don't break etc..

shauneco

I understand that but going by the kwh usage on most B rated condensers … I understand that but going by the kwh usage on most B rated condensers and vented dryers seem to reveal a very similar kwh. I guess they could take a little longer to dry then?. Perhaps a better way would be to rate them on how much energy they use per cycle. I guess pro's are no external pipe and not much else lol, Unless you get one with an heat pump which use far less energy? However they tend to cost 4x as much so it'd probably take 10 years to save money, That's if they don't break etc..

If you were to take their respective estimated kwh usage as gospel, then the condenser would save 23kwh per year, about £3.23 worth of electricity, so would pay for the extra £40 fee in just over 12 years.

The current vented model they offering is very basic though, not even sensor dry, so I wouldn't want it. They had a slightly better one yesterday.

Half of hotpoints current range of vented models seem to be B rated:- hotpoint.co.uk/app…475

Edited by: "melted" 13th Feb 2016

i got my new dryer 3 months ago from very im fumming it needs to be fixed and cause fire

can i get a refund

I wouldn't pin my hopes on an August repair! I reported mine in November, was originally told April for repair, then June and today I got an update saying my repair would take place in May 2017!!!!!

The replacements are also involved in the recall, which is making me think twice about those too.

Absolute shambles !!!!!

I wouldn't pin my hopes on an August repair! I reported mine in November, … I wouldn't pin my hopes on an August repair! I reported mine in November, was originally told April for repair, then June and today I got an update saying my repair would take place in May 2017!!!!!The replacements are also involved in the recall, which is making me think twice about those too. Absolute shambles !!!!!

maybe they should offer free flights to the US with a purchase am sure that would be a huge success

A while ago, we were complimented on how little fluff the Hotpoint engineer found during the free upgrade; needed a new drum as it was such an old model and also had a new belt and set of bearings fitted - at no cost! Unfortunately, the drum now seems to rotate more slowly, it no longer seems to reverse direction and all heating now seems to have stopped as well. What to do next?
Post a comment
@
    Text