New hotukdeals FAQ - now live in our footer

ADMIN 49
Posted 4th Jul 2019
Hey guys - we've put together a new FAQ page which will hopefully answer all of the questions you have about hotukdeals!

This is currently in our footer and you can find it here - hotukdeals.com/FAQ

If there is something you think we should add or clarify let us know here and we'll take a look.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
So mods are being paid to promote products. If you read between the lines that is what is happening. Before I get banned and before this comment gets taken down, it's been nice knowing you all
49 Comments
Very important and dangerous FAQ question

WHEN IS MY PARCEL / GOODS ARRIVING ?

OR

WILL I BE HONOURED MISPRICED ITEM/s ?
singhisking6804/07/2019 13:00

Very important and dangerous FAQ questionWHEN IS MY PARCEL / GOODS …Very important and dangerous FAQ questionWHEN IS MY PARCEL / GOODS ARRIVING ?ORWILL I BE HONOURED MISPRICED ITEM/s ?

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
@magicjay1986

"...VII. Contact us

How can I contact hotukdeals?
You can send all your questions and partnership requests directly via the site contact form

If you want to give us a feedback on a malfunction or a bug on the site, do not hesitate to create a feedback thread so that other members can also comment!..."

* feedback.
“those users can vote positively when they consider that the offer is interesting or negatively if they do not.”

So nothing to do with it being a deal or not then, just whether we think it’s interesting or not?
Babbabooey04/07/2019 13:46

“those users can vote positively when they consider that the offer is i …“those users can vote positively when they consider that the offer is interesting or negatively if they do not.”So nothing to do with it being a deal or not then, just whether we think it’s interesting or not?

The used google translate to write it lol.
Why was my Amazon Heros tin cancelled? You need a word with your affiliate companies to NOT let us down.
Had a quick look but can’t see it maybe you could add something about retention deals and heads up, so that there is consistency especially on retention deals which end up all over the place unlike in the old days when they simply got put to misc.
Thanks for your feedback guys. You're right that a couple of things could do with tweaking and i'll review.

We're working on a few things behind the scenes so there will be some further amendments once we're able to announce what these things are.
eslick04/07/2019 15:44

Had a quick look but can’t see it maybe you could add something about r …Had a quick look but can’t see it maybe you could add something about retention deals and heads up, so that there is consistency especially on retention deals which end up all over the place unlike in the old days when they simply got put to misc.

We've got a plan for that so it wasn't covered in the existing
Felicitous04/07/2019 13:15

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

African or European?
I couldn't find any reference to it so I guess it's still ok to constantly post inane threads asking questions that a 5 year old could answer?
Babbabooey04/07/2019 13:46

“those users can vote positively when they consider that the offer is i …“those users can vote positively when they consider that the offer is interesting or negatively if they do not.”So nothing to do with it being a deal or not then, just whether we think it’s interesting or not?

In case you have not seen this ("Ask") thread (in a long line of previous discussions on the same topic)...

"Irrelevance of hot and cold deals?"
deeky04/07/2019 22:04

I couldn't find any reference to it so I guess it's still ok to constantly …I couldn't find any reference to it so I guess it's still ok to constantly post inane threads asking questions that a 5 year old could answer?

It’s only an issue for you because you let it bother you. There’s really no need to
magicjay198605/07/2019 08:10

It’s only an issue for you because you let it bother you. There’s really no …It’s only an issue for you because you let it bother you. There’s really no need to

Yes, it does bother me seeing well-meaning members giving up their time to offer advice, unaware that they are being taken for idiots.
deeky05/07/2019 08:22

Yes, it does bother me seeing well-meaning members giving up their time to …Yes, it does bother me seeing well-meaning members giving up their time to offer advice, unaware that they are being taken for idiots.

That’s the HUKD mission statement. Take long term well-meaning members and take them for idiots.
joanddan705/07/2019 09:13

That’s the HUKD mission statement. Take long term well-meaning members and …That’s the HUKD mission statement. Take long term well-meaning members and take them for idiots.

What would you say was your biggest gripe with the site? Or more to the point, what makes you say that ^ ?!
So mods are being paid to promote products. If you read between the lines that is what is happening. Before I get banned and before this comment gets taken down, it's been nice knowing you all
psychobitchfromhell07/07/2019 04:27

So mods are being paid to promote products. If you read between the lines …So mods are being paid to promote products. If you read between the lines that is what is happening. Before I get banned and before this comment gets taken down, it's been nice knowing you all

Might not be paid to mods but anywhere else “partner” deals would be classed as adverts. If the advertising standards ever looked into it I bet they would agree. Other sites have to call out adverts, what’s that saying if it looks like a duck....

So mods are being paid to promote products. If you read between the lines …So mods are being paid to promote products. If you read between the lines that is what is happening. Before I get banned and before this comment gets taken down, it's been nice knowing you all

You don't need to read between the lines...I think the FAQ is pretty clear and open about what happens

Moderator duties do not include deal reviewing/posting. That is down to the Editors.

Editors have to source deals themselves and they post these up on site if they think they are worth being shared.

In addition to sourcing deals themselves we have a system where merchants can send us information on deals/promotions if they haven't been found by our community or alert us to future sale events. This is like being on a newsletter circulation and there is zero guarantee the Editors will post that deal they're being sent. Editors will review those deals and if they do not think the deal is any good they simply won't post it.
magicjay198607/07/2019 11:21

You don't need to read between the lines...I think the FAQ is pretty clear …You don't need to read between the lines...I think the FAQ is pretty clear and open about what happens Moderator duties do not include deal reviewing/posting. That is down to the Editors. Editors have to source deals themselves and they post these up on site if they think they are worth being shared. In addition to sourcing deals themselves we have a system where merchants can send us information on deals/promotions if they haven't been found by our community or alert us to future sale events. This is like being on a newsletter circulation and there is zero guarantee the Editors will post that deal they're being sent. Editors will review those deals and if they do not think the deal is any good they simply won't post it.

• Receive, evaluate and process offers sent to you by our partners

This is the piece that doesn’t sit right, you can’t self promote but you can give loads of deals from partners it’s simply advertising in another form.
eslick07/07/2019 11:29

Receive, evaluate and process offers sent to you by our partnersThis is …Receive, evaluate and process offers sent to you by our partnersThis is the piece that doesn’t sit right, you can’t self promote but you can give loads of deals from partners it’s simply advertising in another form.

Well, equally I'm advertising firms I'm unaffiliated with. Every "deal" is an "advert". A merchant makes me aware of a deal (normally a basket change update), I post it. A merchant makes an editor aware of a deal (by sending it in), they post it. We can both choose not to if its not a good deal. I don't think ASA would have any issues with this...
eayragt07/07/2019 14:43

Well, equally I'm advertising firms I'm unaffiliated with. Every "deal" is …Well, equally I'm advertising firms I'm unaffiliated with. Every "deal" is an "advert". A merchant makes me aware of a deal (normally a basket change update), I post it. A merchant makes an editor aware of a deal (by sending it in), they post it. We can both choose not to if its not a good deal. I don't think ASA would have any issues with this...

That’s different you don’t get paid and it’s not a partner
eslick07/07/2019 15:02

That’s different you don’t get paid and it’s not a partner

One's unpaid advertising, the other is paid advertising. They're both advertising.

Receive, evaluate and process offers sent to you by our partnersThis is …Receive, evaluate and process offers sent to you by our partnersThis is the piece that doesn’t sit right, you can’t self promote but you can give loads of deals from partners it’s simply advertising in another form.

A thread from 21 February 2013 you may struggle to find if you didn't know it existed (as it doesn't appear in the threads created by the @Admin account):

"The role of moderators in posting deals and voting"
[ hotukdeals.com/fee…635 ]
eayragt07/07/2019 15:10

One's unpaid advertising, the other is paid advertising. They're both …One's unpaid advertising, the other is paid advertising. They're both advertising.

There is a difference you find the deal and they get the affiliate cash from that as in most adverts you see on any site but you know it’s an advert. They get the same cash from partners who we don’t know may also pay for the posts or give enhanced affiliate fees, anywhere else that’s advertising and needs to be called out as such.

When the Chinese sellers started popping up and we had never heard of them but only people connected with the site actually posted deals from them we were told there was no connection and now we know differently.
fanpages07/07/2019 15:17

A thread from 21 February 2013 you may struggle to find if you didn't know …A thread from 21 February 2013 you may struggle to find if you didn't know it existed (as it doesn't appear in the threads created by the @Admin account):"The role of moderators in posting deals and voting"[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/feedback/the-role-of-moderators-in-posting-deals-and-voting-1481635 ]

That’s a long post will get time to read it later as on my phone at the moment bet much has changed since then though.
Edited by: "eslick" 7th Jul 2019
fanpages07/07/2019 15:17

A thread from 21 February 2013 you may struggle to find if you didn't know …A thread from 21 February 2013 you may struggle to find if you didn't know it existed (as it doesn't appear in the threads created by the @Admin account):"The role of moderators in posting deals and voting"[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/feedback/the-role-of-moderators-in-posting-deals-and-voting-1481635 ]

eslick07/07/2019 15:30

That’s a long post will get time to read it later as on my phone at the m …That’s a long post will get time to read it later as on my phone at the moment bet much has changed since then though.

Well, yes, it does, however, highlight that the problem existed (or was identified) back in early 2012.

Paul is no longer using the @Admin account &, as far as I can tell, is no longer actively involved with the day-to-day running of this site, so @juliet_bravo will be the one to address the (repeated/ongoing) concerns now.
fanpages07/07/2019 15:46

Well, yes, it does, however, highlight that the problem existed (or was …Well, yes, it does, however, highlight that the problem existed (or was identified) back in early 2012.Paul is no longer using the @Admin account &, as far as I can tell, is no longer actively involved with the day-to-day running of this site, so @juliet_bravo will be the one to address the (repeated/ongoing) concerns now.

Just been going through it, wow just wow is all that can be said, didn’t see the thread back then.

Its a different place now since Pepper got involved and as I said in an earlier post the Chinese website that suddenly appeared is a prime example there is more to this than is now admitted. Even Anker a company I respect have had many mod or site connected posts all appeared around the time the site gave them their own username.

Juliet from what someone said on here a few weeks ago is no longer part of the UK team took on bigger responsibility apparently.
eslick07/07/2019 15:53

Just been going through it, wow just wow is all that can be said, didn’t s …Just been going through it, wow just wow is all that can be said, didn’t see the thread back then. Its a different place now since Pepper got involved and as I said in an earlier post the Chinese website that suddenly appeared is a prime example there is more to this than is now admitted. Even Anker a company I respect have had many mod or site connected posts all appeared around the time the site gave them their own username. Juliet from what someone said on here a few weeks ago is no longer part of the UK team took on bigger responsibility apparently.

For an organisation that favours UK registered addresses & contact information, the irony is not lost...

[ hotukdeals.com/com…753 ]

You could always become part of the team & endeavour to make a difference from within:

[ pepper.bamboohr.com/job…212 ]

It is very important to consider this:

- Editors will never post a deal up on site they believe is a poor deal.

- Editors always have the final say. If a deal is not good enough it doesn't get posted.

Other things to consider:

- there is a massive benefit to the community with this way of working. If merchants are able to send us their deals in advance it helps us all make better purchasing decisions because chances are we're able to give our community a heads up on something which can either help us not pay over the odds or hold on a little longer before we spend our cash.

- if merchants didn't send their offers over, chances are you guys would only hear about them when they're live.

- merchants don't have to self promote. If they can send their offers over and they're strong enough to be posted merchants don't need to try to sneak them up on site. If they don't get posted they know they need to give you guys better deals
That thread is from 2013 and over 6 years ago. We've seen some massive changes since then so I think we need to apply a bit of perspective.

I'm happy to answer questions on the FAQ but in terms of what happened in 2013 it really doesn't need discussing here.
@magicjay1986

"...- Editors will never post a deal up on site they believe is a poor deal."

Surely very few members, with the exception of those that post items of a 'comedy' value, will post a "Deal" that they believe is poor.
magicjay198607/07/2019 18:13

It is very important to consider this:- Editors will never post a deal up …It is very important to consider this:- Editors will never post a deal up on site they believe is a poor deal. - Editors always have the final say. If a deal is not good enough it doesn't get posted. Other things to consider:- there is a massive benefit to the community with this way of working. If merchants are able to send us their deals in advance it helps us all make better purchasing decisions because chances are we're able to give our community a heads up on something which can either help us not pay over the odds or hold on a little longer before we spend our cash. - if merchants didn't send their offers over, chances are you guys would only hear about them when they're live. - merchants don't have to self promote. If they can send their offers over and they're strong enough to be posted merchants don't need to try to sneak them up on site. If they don't get posted they know they need to give you guys better deals

Thanks Jay it’s advertising in just another name, or call it promoted deals or sponsored links like other sites call it’s great that we get notice but to call it a deal in the sense how this site was founded and worked for all of these years is simply wrong. As I mentioned far to often we see Chinese sellers no one has heard of all deals posted by the site and they aren’t deals in any shape or form.
eslick07/07/2019 18:57

Thanks Jay it’s advertising in just another name, or call it promoted d …Thanks Jay it’s advertising in just another name, or call it promoted deals or sponsored links like other sites call it’s great that we get notice but to call it a deal in the sense how this site was founded and worked for all of these years is simply wrong. As I mentioned far to often we see Chinese sellers no one has heard of all deals posted by the site and they aren’t deals in any shape or form.

Some days I wish you guys could just sit with us and see what goes on. I think you'd get bored by lunchtime as it isn't as scandalous as many people suggest

Let me have some examples of those sellers and i'll take a look. This is yet another massive discussion but essentially we found so many non-UK merchants incentivising hotukdeals members to post their deals on site. With some knowledge sharing between our other sites we uncovered so much of this. So we have a whitelist of merchants members can post for and we're seeing how it goes.

You say "far to often we see Chinese sellers no one has heard" and I can't agree with that as a general statement. We have a huge membership and these sellers are pretty well known not just by hotukdeals but by other tech sites/communities. They don't tend to be fly-by-night sellers.
magicjay198607/07/2019 19:12

Some days I wish you guys could just sit with us and see what goes on. I …Some days I wish you guys could just sit with us and see what goes on. I think you'd get bored by lunchtime as it isn't as scandalous as many people suggest Let me have some examples of those sellers and i'll take a look. This is yet another massive discussion but essentially we found so many non-UK merchants incentivising hotukdeals members to post their deals on site. With some knowledge sharing between our other sites we uncovered so much of this. So we have a whitelist of merchants members can post for and we're seeing how it goes. You say "far to often we see Chinese sellers no one has heard" and I can't agree with that as a general statement. We have a huge membership and these sellers are pretty well known not just by hotukdeals but by other tech sites/communities. They don't tend to be fly-by-night sellers.

Oh the G word we can’t mention couldn’t imagine doing your job Don’t believe it’s scandalous just that it’s not always as clear cut as to what a deal is that someone in your office found like the rest of us or they were handed it by a partner. As said it should be made clearer what’s is a partner deal especially as we all know site posts are guarantee heat while all around them are getting hot slowly. And I know there is no extra heat for site posts.

for the life of me I can’t remember the sellers name, it mustn’t have been posted for a couple of months but it was one of those like gearbest had about 30 posts and all but two or three were from the site and posted in a say a 6 month period. Being in here as long as I have and spending far to much time on here it was a seller that stood out for the wrong reasons.

Many sellers we will see posted on here first because this is our go to site but that one was different.
eslick07/07/2019 20:46

...for the life of me I can’t remember the sellers name, it mustn’t have be …...for the life of me I can’t remember the sellers name, it mustn’t have been posted for a couple of months but it was one of those like gearbest had about 30 posts and all but two or three were from the site and posted in a say a 6 month period...

Banggood? DealExtreme?
fanpages07/07/2019 21:47

Banggood? DealExtreme?

Nope more obscure
fanpages07/07/2019 21:54

Ah... [ https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lightinthebox.com ]

Similar but rosegal first 38 post 36 of them by people connected to the site, no posts since February and 7 of the last 15 post by again someone who either worked for the site or did back then. And I didn’t bother to count all 141 posts but guessing by those amounts the majority are by someone connected to the site.

hotukdeals.com/dea…com
eslick07/07/2019 22:01

Similar but rosegal first 38 post 36 of them by people connected to the …Similar but rosegal first 38 post 36 of them by people connected to the site, no posts since February and 7 of the last 15 post by again someone who either worked for the site or did back then. And I didn’t bother to count all 141 posts but guessing by those amounts the majority are by someone connected to the site.https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/rosegal.com

RoseGal passed me by. I expect it is because I thought "Who?" & avoided them.

Still, if they have a presence in the UK, with local contact details, then they must be OK. No?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions