Hotukdeals New User FAQ

ADMIN 10
Posted 9th Jan 2019
Whether you've just found us by chance or you've been grabbing deals for years, here's how you can get the most out being a hotukdeals community member. Welcome to the community! We're happy to have you on board.

Here are some handy links if you're stuck on anything.

Community Updates
Introduce Yourself
Top comments
What are Highlights?

Highlights are exactly that, the BEST of hotukdeals including hot deals, fast moving threads, glitches & more

What does the Hot page show?

Deals voted Hot by the community hit the hot page around 100 degrees or thereabouts and shows deals starting to climb the hotukdeals boards.

What does the New page show?

All deals submitted get posted here, it's the to go-to for everything new, well worth keeping tabs on as some expiry very quickly.

How to follow or save a thread I'm interested in?

On the said thread you wish to follow, you'll see the below

36797852-tVOFb.jpg
You can then toggle this on/off as and when you need, you'll then get notifications when a comment is made, no need to keep checking back!

How to get deal alerts

How to get deals from a certain category
Edited by: "goonertillidie" 11th Jan 2019
10 Comments
What are Highlights?

Highlights are exactly that, the BEST of hotukdeals including hot deals, fast moving threads, glitches & more

What does the Hot page show?

Deals voted Hot by the community hit the hot page around 100 degrees or thereabouts and shows deals starting to climb the hotukdeals boards.

What does the New page show?

All deals submitted get posted here, it's the to go-to for everything new, well worth keeping tabs on as some expiry very quickly.

How to follow or save a thread I'm interested in?

On the said thread you wish to follow, you'll see the below

36797852-tVOFb.jpg
You can then toggle this on/off as and when you need, you'll then get notifications when a comment is made, no need to keep checking back!

How to get deal alerts

How to get deals from a certain category
How do I authenticate my account?

When you sign up to hotukdeals you'll be sent an email to authenticate your account. Make sure you authenticate your account right away as the email link will expire and you'll need to request it again by getting in touch - CLICK ME

How do I choose or change my username?

When you sign up to hotukdeals you'll be asked to choose a username. This is your public name so choose wisely (and safely!).

You can change this in your profile settings. Just go to your profile and select settings. Find "YOUR USERNAME" and then pick "Change username". This can be changed once every 6 months.

How do I add an avatar?

For this you will again need to go to your profile and then settings and then Upload under the current default image. From here you can change/replace your avatar.

How do I delete my account?

You can delete your account at any time from your profile. Click settings and scroll right to the bottom where you'll see the Delete Account button. If submitted your account will enter a pending delete status for 30 days. If you do not log in again during this period your account will delete.

How do I set up notifications?

You can get notifications for a wide range of hotukdeals activity. Click profiles, settings and then Notifications. Notifications can be activated when there is activity on your own deals (as well as subscribed deals posted by others), when members engage with you and when you earn badges. There are many options available so make sure you check it out! All your notifications will appear within the bell icon in the header of hotukdeals (next to messages).

In addition to notifications on site you can also get browser notifications to alert you to something you're interested in. These settings can be found in your browser settings so make sure if you want to receive these you allow permission from your browser settings If you'd like full instructions to allow or deny browser notifications please get in touch and we'll be happy to get you sorted - CLICK ME
Edited by: "goonertillidie" 23rd Jan 2019
Getting deals sent straight to your phone whenever they go live is the easiest way to make sure you never miss out

The best way to do this is via the hotukdeals app. You can download Android here and iOS here

Once you've downloaded it, here's how you set up keyword alerts for the content you care about.

Keyword Alerts:

Step 1 - Tap the 3 lines in the top left corner
Step 2 - Select Keyword Alerts
Step 3 - Head to the bottom right - Tap the pencil to edit
Step 4 - Select or add Keywords (Select the heat you want notifying at)
Step 5 - Hit Save in the top right corner

Other ways to get alerted:

Get the WhatsApp Deal Digest - it's fast and it's free! Get WhatsApp alerts a couple of times a day, showing what's currently hot and trending on hotukdeals

How do I join the group?

Step 1 - Click this linkCLICK ME

Step 2 - Add the group number to your phone, send it a WhatsApp message saying "START"

Step 3 - Sit back and relax, while you get awesome offers pinged straight to your phone.

Step 4 - Reply with STOP at anytime to stop alerts.
Edited by: "goonertillidie" 14th Nov 2019
How to find more deals in a certain category on Desktop

Menu

Select 'Menu' at the top of your screen to reveal a drop down list of all the main groups / categories.

36797856.jpg

Click 'Menu' then 'All Groups' to see every group / category alphabetically (most popular at the top) or use this link hotukdeals.com/tag

Search

Looking for something specific, like Lego deals? Type 'Lego' into the search bar to find the 'Lego category'

36797856.jpg

How to find more deals in a certain category using the App

Step 2 - Select Find Groups
Step 3 - Use the search (top right) to search for specific group categories. Looking for Converse deals? Type 'Converse'.
------

How to subscribe to deals in a certain category on desktop

You can set up Keyword Alerts - these can include groups / categories.

36797856.jpg

Step 1 - Go to your Profile (top right of screen) scroll down to settings
Step 3 - Type in any categories, you wish to subrscribe to.
Step 4 - Select how you would like to be notified

36797856.jpg

Option 2

Click in to a deal post you will see the option "Get notifications on deals just like this one by selecting one or more keywords below" You'll then get notifications when a deal has been posted using this keyword / category.

How to subscribe to deals in a certain category using the App

Step 3 - Head to the bottom right - Tap the pencil to edit
Step 4 - Add Categories that you want to subscribe to.
How to post a deal on desktop.

Step 1: Log in to your account.

Step 2 : Click SUBMIT (top right of the screen) to reveal a drop down menu Step 3: Select 'Deal' then enter the URL (direct link to where you can purchase the deal)
36797859-qoN0A.jpg
Step 3: Add the price, and also the next best available price if applicable.

36797859-0lMlH.jpg
Step 4: Using a voucher code with your order? Add it into your post.

Step 5: Add your Title - a short summary of the deal including price and merchant name.

Step 6: Add your Description - tell us about the deal, and why you think it's good. You can add extra images and links in to this section using these icons

Step 7: Add an image to your post.

36797859-Gy4GP.jpg
Step 8: Select a relevant Group for your deal - every deal needs at least one.

Step 9:If you know it, add an expiry date, and then click 'Post Deal '

Extra Help with Images

You can locate the image URL by right clicking on the image and choosing 'copy image location', just paste the image location directly into the field. You can also upload pictures that you've saved to your computer by clicking browse to find the relevant image.

---------------------------------------------------------

How to post a deal on the app.

Step1: Click on the + sign. (top right of your screen)
Step 2: Enter the Deal Link / URL (direct link to where you can purchase the deal)
Step 3: Add an image to your post - choose an image from your library of saved images, or take a photo.
Step 4: Add the price, and also the next best available price if applicable.
Step 5: Using a voucher code with your order? Add it into your post.
Step 6: Add your Title - a short summary of the deal including price and merchant name.

Step 7: Add your Description - tell us about the deal, and why you think it's good. You can add extra images and links in to this section using these icons

Step 8: Select a relevant Group for your deal , then hit 'Done'

Step 9: If you know it, add an expiry date, and then click 'Done'

Got a general question on a topic? Need help looking for a deal? Pop a question in ASK

Want to chat about the hottest topics, News or just a general chat? Pop a thread in 'Misc'
You're here because you're looking for hot deals, but what actually makes them hot? That's easy... you do! Your input helps shape exactly which deals go on the hot page, and which ones go superhot. If you want to vote on any deal, just use the arrows to vote hot (good deal) or cold (not so good).. make sure you leave a comment when you do it.

Find out more about how hotukdeals works via our about page

Make sure you check out our privacy policy and code of conduct
Edited by: "goonertillidie" 23rd Jan 2019
Commenting on hotukdeals is just as important as the Deals that are posted.

Everyone connected from hotukdeals, from Admin to brand new members appreciates commenting in threads. It’s a great way of interacting with other members of the community, getting to know each other and of course learn more about
the products.

The type of things you may wish to comment are:-

· Thanking the OP for their efforts.

· Your experience of the product.

· Any questions you may have about the product.

· Have you found this product elsewhere at a cheaper price?

· Anything at all related to the Deal.

As well as Deals, Voucher Codes and Freebies there are other areas of hotukdeals where you may wish to comment. These are Misc, Ask, Competitions and Feedback.

Misc can include anything and is wide and varied.Ask andCompetitions do exactly what is said on the tin andFeedback is for site feedback – i.e. is there anything you want to question or raise about how the site operates?

Commenting is really easy. If you see a thread that interests you may want to comment in there.

Scroll down to where it says ‘Post a comment’
36797863-VfbHf.jpg
Click on the space and write whatever it is you want to say.
36797863-nlsmk.jpg
You’ll notice here that I included the OP’s username and added the @ symbol prior to writing his name. By doing this it will tag the user I wish to alert, letting him/her know that I personally wanted to thank them.

Of course, you don’t need to tag members, but it’s a nice touch if you want to alert them or just as I have done here, thank them personally.

Once you are happy with your comment, simply press ‘Submit Comment’ (and if you wish to be notified of any replies, select the tick box to the left) That’s all there is too it.
36797863-x1228.jpg
You may notice, when scrolling through Deals a banner in the Comments section that says :-

“Deal posting newbie! This is ****** first deal post. Help out by leaving a
posting tip or just to show your appreciation for their contribution.”

If you see this then please do take the time to show your appreciation, or if you spot an error in the listing, a tip. It’s quite daunting taking that hotukdeals leap of posting your first deal. So, receiving thanks or advice is hugely appreciated.

36797863-a4TeB.jpg
Images are just as important as comments on hotukdeals.

They can be used for a variety of reasons, mainly, to see different images of the product you are considering buying. Please add high resolution images wherever possible.

People view hotukdeals on a number of devices, so whereas a 150 x 150 image may look good on the device you are using it may not transfer too well on another device.

The optimised image resolution for window images on deals is 300x300
36797864-aoCIX.jpg
Don’t be afraid of uploading your own photos too, rather than just generic images of the product. You may want to show barcodes,
price labels, how it looks etc. Many hotukdeals users regularly take photos of products whilst they are out and about shopping and then add them to the thread. We love these types of images.

Posting a post a video, gif or an image in comments is as simple as posting a comment.

If you look at the bottom right hand side you’ll see a blue box that says ‘Image’ (with a mountain range).
36797864-mNaac.jpg
First, select that box. It will bring up a pop up that looks like this:-

36797864-C6i8D.jpg

You now have a couple of options. You can ‘Choose’ to upload an image (or gif) from your own computer or add an image (or gif) from a url. Really here, whichever is your usual preference you will find the easiest.

If you select ‘Choose’ then simply locate the image on your computer and then click on it twice to add it, then select your ‘alignment’ (Left or Centre), then press ‘Add Image’.

The process is pretty much the same if adding via a url. Right click on an image from a website, copy the image url and then paste into the ‘Image From URL’ field.

If you are posting a Deal you may want to include images in the OP. This is very similar to the procedure described above.

Again, select your preferred option i.e ‘Choose’ to upload an image from your own computer or add an image from a url, and follow the process as above.

If you wish to add a video this is really simple. The video will need to be uploaded to a video hosting website such as Youtube and you simply add the video url as a comment (or in the OP) and hotukdeals will do the rest for you.

You may notice a NSFW (Not Suitable For Work) option when posting a deal. If you are posting something that, for example, your boss may frown upon if he or she saw you viewing it or you wouldn't want your children to see (remember hotukdeals is a family friendly website) then simply select 'Deal is NSFW'.
36797864-UqOSd.jpg
On the top right hand side of hotukdeals, you'll notice a 'Filter' option. Select this, then tick the box that says 'Hide NSFW images' to hide any 'Not Suitable For Work' threads that may appear on hotukdeals.
36797864-dy1dM.jpg
Edited by: "goonertillidie" 12th Jan 2019
If you're a retailer and have a concern or query about anything on site, or you just want to ask a couple of questions, drop us a message via our b2b form CLICK ME

You’ll find this located at the bottom / footer of hotukdeals. Scroll down and select ‘Show Footer’ and then you’ll see where it says ‘Questions’ (towards the bottom right side), sandwiched between ‘Feedback’ and ‘About’ the Contact link.
36797865-HoYEW.jpg
Click on that, and it will open up a new page where you can contact us.
36797865-STV8L.jpg
Remember to include as much information as possible and importantly, an email address where we can reply to you.
How do I report a comment or thread?

There is a Report button on every thread and comment on hotukdeals. Just look for the flag option:

36797866-C17vG.jpg

Make sure you let us know the reason you're reporting so we can get to reviewing it right away.

36797866-06fUN.jpg
One of the team will respond to let you know they've taken a look. You can reply to their message or if you're not happy with their call please get in touch - CLICK ME

How do I get in touch with the admin team?

The moderation team will always be happy to help with any questions you have but if you'd like to escalate an issue feel free to get in touch with the admin team. Fill in the form at CLICK ME and someone will get back to you. This link is also in the footer of site.

I'm getting too many alerts. (how to turn off keyword alerts) (how to turn off BNP) (how to unsubscribe)

Turning off keywords - if you'd like to remove a keyword you can do that from the Keyword Alerts page in your profile settings. This section is at the bottom under My keywords. If you've added a keyword this is where they will appear in addition to your profile summary page. There are options to receive one email per day or an email each time your keyword is used. You can edit this at any time.

Turning off browser notifications - in order for us to send you browser notifications you'll need to enable this in your browser settings. If you do not allow permission the option in your profile settings will show the permission was denied. Some browsers will allow notifications by default so make sure you check your browser settings if you do not want this. We're more than happy to provide assistance based on your browser so get in touch if we can help - CLICK ME

Unsubscribing - on all emails sent from hotukdeals there will be an unsubscribe link. If you'd like to stop receiving that specific notification please use this link. You can also unsubscribe under your profile, settings and then subscriptions.

36797866-mKQVn.jpg

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Discussions