Introducing the hotukdeals Retailer Awards 2019! Win 3 x £100 vouchers for voting...

Found 15th May
Introducing the hotukdeals Retailer Awards 2019! Head over to the designated page to cast your vote. Read on for an explanation...

Vote here >> award.hotukdeals.com << vote there

How were the merchants selected?
The original idea was to pull merchant nominations from the community but after considering how it would work we decided there was probably no better (or fairer) way than to take a look at some data. We looked at activity from 2018 into 2019 and pulled down the most popular merchants that make up your shortlist. By popular we mean discussion on threads (having a minimum threshold of threads shared per merchant), average thread heat and general interaction from our community.

Why are we doing this?
We are all here because we love deal hunting and that means interacting with merchants daily and sharing our experiences with eachother. The knowledge our community has is incredible so it seems like a nice idea to make a thing of it and see who comes out on top.

What is in it for hotukdeals?
Nothing This is a positive thread so i'd rather not address this but I know for sure one or two of you will (and I can direct you to this comment each time instead of responding individually ). It is no secret how hotukdeals is funded (see our About page) and contrary to popular belief not every merchant on hotukdeals has an affiliate program but that doesn't stop them being shown on hotukdeals. Many of those merchants are actually shortlisted for your votes. They are there because they deserve to be, no other reason.

What is in it for you guys?
If you spend a couple of minutes to vote you are in with a chance to win 1 of 3 £100 vouchers to spend at ANY shortlisted merchant. So make sure you vote and follow the instructions!

Shortlisted merchants at at glance...

3230213-KQqPA.jpg
Finally....
I want this thread to be something positive and constructive. If you guys have some feedback on this idea then please share it as we'd love to hear.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Looks like each category has suffered the omission of one additional merchant option: "other", and without that option the results are kinda skewed.
No CDkeys?

37652648-REDZH.jpg
magicjay198615/05/2019 13:03

I tried to cover that in my description and why we didn't go for that to …I tried to cover that in my description and why we didn't go for that to pick the shortlist. We decided to base the shortlist on data. Maybe in future we can consider a "community pick" (as a pre-vote exercise) but that is really what the data has provided us with.

Doesn’t make sense that the most popular surely wowcher wouldn’t be popular, sadly seems to be more of an advertising feature probably being cynical but that’s who it looks.

odd you have to pick as well, all mandatory fields when you might not use a retailer or want to pick one. don’t do gaming for example and have to chose a retailer I have never used, pick Ryanair because even though I never flown with them.
Edited by: "eslick" 15th May
magicjay198615/05/2019 19:45

I am a big fan of Amazon but are they ever really market leading …I am a big fan of Amazon but are they ever really market leading (consistently) in terms of pricing? They're more reactive to other sites and price match a lot.

37654770-A6KLL.jpg
That’s all I’m going to say or I’ll start ranting about Amazon and how naff they actually are compared to every other retailer out there.
171 Comments
37651391-JI5wV.jpg

Ok...ok...I will let ONE person complain to get things moving here.
37651651-9fdQc.jpg
Looks like each category has suffered the omission of one additional merchant option: "other", and without that option the results are kinda skewed.
AndyRoyd15/05/2019 12:56

Looks like each category has suffered the omission of one additional …Looks like each category has suffered the omission of one additional merchant option: "other", and without that option the results are kinda skewed.

I tried to cover that in my description and why we didn't go for that to pick the shortlist. We decided to base the shortlist on data. Maybe in future we can consider a "community pick" (as a pre-vote exercise) but that is really what the data has provided us with.
Edited by: "magicjay1986" 15th May
ShopTo gets nominated ahead of Base

37652520-YjfhB.jpg
No CDkeys?

37652648-REDZH.jpg
magicjay198615/05/2019 13:03

I tried to cover that in my description and why we didn't go for that to …I tried to cover that in my description and why we didn't go for that to pick the shortlist. We decided to base the shortlist on data. Maybe in future we can consider a "community pick" (as a pre-vote exercise) but that is really what the data has provided us with.

Doesn’t make sense that the most popular surely wowcher wouldn’t be popular, sadly seems to be more of an advertising feature probably being cynical but that’s who it looks.

odd you have to pick as well, all mandatory fields when you might not use a retailer or want to pick one. don’t do gaming for example and have to chose a retailer I have never used, pick Ryanair because even though I never flown with them.
Edited by: "eslick" 15th May
eslick15/05/2019 15:20

Doesn’t make sense that the most popular surely wowcher wouldn’t be pop …Doesn’t make sense that the most popular surely wowcher wouldn’t be popular, sadly seems to be more of an advertising feature probably being cynical but that’s who it looks. odd you have to pick as well, all mandatory fields when you might not use a retailer or want to pick one. don’t do gaming for example and have to chose a retailer I have never used, pick Ryanair because even though I never flown with them.

It really isn't and that was why I wanted to make the point about it being based on data. If we were handpicking we'd surely just select every merchant that has an affiliate program and I can tell you that the lists include many which don't.

Yep, I agree with that second point entirely. It should have been done differently and its something we'll learn from if we run this next year.
magicjay198615/05/2019 15:37

It really isn't and that was why I wanted to make the point about it being …It really isn't and that was why I wanted to make the point about it being based on data. If we were handpicking we'd surely just select every merchant that has an affiliate program and I can tell you that the lists include many which don't. Yep, I agree with that second point entirely. It should have been done differently and its something we'll learn from if we run this next year.

You need to scrap it and start again no awards worth any meaning are voted on in this way. You are going to get loads of votes which are false positives out of the way you are running it and it’s so easy in surveymonkey to not make the question mandatory. Shouldn’t be a learning as the awards are worthless because of it.

Your marketing team need their bonuses taken off them for this
We've made a change to the voting in that you only need to have selected one merchant in order to be eligible for entering the draw. So if you don't have any experience with a particular category you don't need to vote to still participate.
Considering the majority of deals are from Far East or grey trade importers on certain categories, not a single one of these made it into the list. Makes you seriously doubt any suggestions on how the list was actually made. Mind you it is good to see as these merchants should be banned here anyhow. Along with the fact you would seriously expect Amazon to be in at least one of them.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 15th May
cecilmcroberts15/05/2019 17:57

Considering the majority of deals are from Far East or grey trade …Considering the majority of deals are from Far East or grey trade importers on certain categories, not a single one of these made it into the list. Makes you seriously doubt any suggestions on how the list was actually made. Mind you it is good to see as these merchants should be banned here anyhow.

You say that but why would we exclude them?
magicjay198615/05/2019 18:03

You say that but why would we exclude them?

Well it could be like the many fake awards out in the world basically another form of paid advertising and revenue for the awards company that if the merchant who also wins the award has to pay if they wish to display said award. Anyhow it would be great if the data behind how they had been picked was transparent. Not just what was listed above but the real data. I'm sure I will not be the only one who ponders how one of the biggest online retailers in the world doesn't make it into any of them.
You've seen "Dave Gorman's modern life is goodish" also.
cecilmcroberts15/05/2019 18:19

I'm sure I will not be the only one who ponders how one of the biggest …I'm sure I will not be the only one who ponders how one of the biggest online retailers in the world doesn't make it into any of them.

You mean THE biggest, but I was wondering that myself.

The last question, after you've picked your votes, seems a bit pointless - 'do you want to enter the draw?'

Do you insert your real name or HUKD username?
Edited by: "deeky" 15th May
Biddy215/05/2019 15:16

No CDkeys? [Image]

I wouldn't have voted for them anyway - not until they let me have a Facebook 5% off code. I've tried 1,265 times (I'm not even lying) and never ever had one.
deeky15/05/2019 18:45

You mean THE biggest, but I was wondering that myself. The last question, …You mean THE biggest, but I was wondering that myself. The last question, after you've picked your votes, seems a bit pointless - 'do you want to enter the draw?' Do you insert your real name or HUKD username?

You can insert either As long as we have your address to contact you it doesn't matter which name.
They might as well give me the £100 voucher now Filled it in and got a 2 spam emails not long after and one was in chinese Lucky for me it was an old email address
deeky15/05/2019 18:49

I wouldn't have voted for them anyway - not until they let me have a …I wouldn't have voted for them anyway - not until they let me have a Facebook 5% off code. I've tried 1,265 times (I'm not even lying) and never ever had one.

I think you should try a 1,266th time.

37654209-oiuJw.jpg

summerof7615/05/2019 18:59

They might as well give me the £100 voucher now Filled it in …They might as well give me the £100 voucher now Filled it in and got a 2 spam emails not long after and one was in chinese Lucky for me it was an old email address

What did the chinese email say? Anything good?
cecilmcroberts15/05/2019 18:19

Well it could be like the many fake awards out in the world basically …Well it could be like the many fake awards out in the world basically another form of paid advertising and revenue for the awards company that if the merchant who also wins the award has to pay if they wish to display said award. Anyhow it would be great if the data behind how they had been picked was transparent. Not just what was listed above but the real data. I'm sure I will not be the only one who ponders how one of the biggest online retailers in the world doesn't make it into any of them.

If a merchant wins they do not have to pay to display the award. No merchant was contacted to discuss the idea of the awards and their participation/inclusion was our decision. Merchants were contacted a couple of days ago to explain the awards and to tell them they were shortlisted.

I guess you mean Amazon? They weren't at the top of our data covering the whole of the year from 2018-2019. I am a big fan of Amazon but are they ever really market leading (consistently) in terms of pricing? They're more reactive to other sites and price match a lot. Prime is of course great but if you don't have Prime there is that to consider. I'm just speculating here but as I say, for these categories we picked they weren't at the top of the data. For what its worth, they do feature in a shortlist on one of our other Pepper sites running this feature too.

I'm used to having to respond to these types of comments which is absolutely fine because there is nothing to hide. I just hope people do get involved when we look to do things we've not done before and as I said above, feedback is invited.
deeky15/05/2019 18:49

I wouldn't have voted for them anyway - not until they let me have a …I wouldn't have voted for them anyway - not until they let me have a Facebook 5% off code. I've tried 1,265 times (I'm not even lying) and never ever had one.

If you use a pop up blocker that might prevent them
Entered! Looking back through the comments, this thread is so cynical
jamie1515/05/2019 20:16

Entered! Looking back through the comments, this thread is so cynical

If it wasn't i'd be pretty suspicious
magicjay198615/05/2019 11:51

[Image] Ok...ok...I will let ONE person complain to get things moving …[Image] Ok...ok...I will let ONE person complain to get things moving here.

What do we win ? Surely the winning retailers would offer us all something as a community
Edited by: "seaniboy" 15th May
Biddy215/05/2019 19:25

What did the chinese email say? Anything good?

Edited by: "summerof76" 15th May
magicjay198615/05/2019 19:45

I am a big fan of Amazon but are they ever really market leading …I am a big fan of Amazon but are they ever really market leading (consistently) in terms of pricing? They're more reactive to other sites and price match a lot.

37654770-A6KLL.jpg
That’s all I’m going to say or I’ll start ranting about Amazon and how naff they actually are compared to every other retailer out there.
summerof7615/05/2019 20:30

[Image]

It says your piles cream is available for collection.

Good job I can read Chinese or you’d still be suffering.
What’s the aim? Not being cynical.

Could it it be that the most popular votes will be collated into deals that are given more exposure in future from certain retailers. Perhaps it’s future leverage in negotiations for kick back rates.

I don’t see how the community benefit from being told Company X is an award winner. That’s why we have the temperature scale, at least I think that’s why.
I tried to read the SurveyMonkey terms and conditions but my German is not the best, and I couldn't find an English version.
I expected this thread to be full of HDUK Experts quoting each other, and saying how good this idea was.

Am disappointed
HiChee15/05/2019 20:40

What’s the aim? Not being cynical.Could it it be that the most popular v …What’s the aim? Not being cynical.Could it it be that the most popular votes will be collated into deals that are given more exposure in future from certain retailers. Perhaps it’s future leverage in negotiations for kick back rates. I don’t see how the community benefit from being told Company X is an award winner. That’s why we have the temperature scale, at least I think that’s why.

The temperature scale is used for judging the deal, not the merchant (although the merchant itself is often considered).

The aim is to do something a little different and have our community involved in picking the winner(s). Right now on site there isn't a feature for our community to pick their favourite merchant.

As i've said above it has zero to do with £. Not all merchants on hotukdeals run an affiliate program and that includes many of the merchants shortlisted for these awards in UK and other Pepper sites.
seaniboy15/05/2019 20:28

What do we win ? Surely the winning retailers would offer us all something …What do we win ? Surely the winning retailers would offer us all something as a community

There is no obligation for them to do anything If you enter you stand a chance to win 1 of 3 £100 vouchers at any of the shortlisted merchants.
magicjay198615/05/2019 20:47

The temperature scale is used for judging the deal, not the merchant …The temperature scale is used for judging the deal, not the merchant (although the merchant itself is often considered).The aim is to do something a little different and have our community involved in picking the winner(s). Right now on site there isn't a feature for our community to pick their favourite merchant. As i've said above it has zero to do with £. Not all merchants on hotukdeals run an affiliate program and that includes many of the merchants shortlisted for these awards in UK and other Pepper sites.

Yeah I get that it’s more a particular item than deal. What I don’t get is this...

12 Yorkie bars for £3 is voted hot and reaches 1200c. A user can search for that deal in future and see that the current 12 Yorkie bars for £7 is not that great a deal.

Does the user throw caution to the wind and buy the more expensive deal because, wait for it, it’s from the award winning retailer of 2019. I’m sure some users will buy it when they no doubt see the badge plastered on that merchants deals. I’m struggling to see how the community vote for a retailer is compelling in anyway. The same deals for the same products are voted on in different ways as it is, maybe it’s that lack of understandingas to why that has led to a vote, a hope of understanding if it’s the pepper expert making the difference, the time of day, exposure, or simply the retailer?
magicjay198615/05/2019 20:51

There is no obligation for them to do anything If you enter you stand …There is no obligation for them to do anything If you enter you stand a chance to win 1 of 3 £100 vouchers at any of the shortlisted merchants.

Thats the point, surely Pepper Germany could have planned something better, we haven’t left Europe yet lol. The winners should be ready to be offering deal/s on the shortlist in return, rather than just 3 of us many HUKDers all making Pepper a lot of commission.

A little more planning would have been a better outcome for many not three people and Pepper a lot more commission. Seems logical.

Anyway good luck everyone entering and winning £100 quid, better than a bill for £100.
How is Amazon not up there, surely their glitch deals have extreme heat and threads go as long as a string. Probably because they would win and everyone would vote Amazon lol
seaniboy15/05/2019 20:58

Thats the point, surely Pepper Germany could have planned something …Thats the point, surely Pepper Germany could have planned something better, we haven’t left Europe yet lol. The winners should be ready to be offering deal/s on the shortlist in return, rather than just 3 of us many HUKDers all making Pepper a lot of commission. A little more planning would have been a better outcome for many not three people and Pepper a lot more commission. Seems logical. Anyway good luck everyone entering and winning £100 quid, better than a bill for £100.

That wouldn't work and it wouldn't make this fair and unbiased. You'd be excluding merchants from your top 5 because they don't want to be held to ransom to be included for giving something back.

As I said above, there is no obligation for merchants to do anything. This is about our community picking and not the merchants picking themselves for inclusion.
Disapointed not to see Woolworths on the shortlist
No amazon? Suppose they'd win in each category

Surprised gearbest, banggood and all the other god awful retailers that pay high levels of commission arent listed
bitcoin515/05/2019 21:09

Disapointed not to see Woolworths on the shortlist

No one does Pick n Mix like Woolworths did

37655047-4H1Dw.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants