Introducing the hotukdeals Retailer Awards 2019! Win 3 x £100 vouchers for voting...

Found 15th May
Introducing the hotukdeals Retailer Awards 2019! Head over to the designated page to cast your vote. Read on for an explanation...

Vote here >> award.hotukdeals.com << vote there

How were the merchants selected?
The original idea was to pull merchant nominations from the community but after considering how it would work we decided there was probably no better (or fairer) way than to take a look at some data. We looked at activity from 2018 into 2019 and pulled down the most popular merchants that make up your shortlist. By popular we mean discussion on threads (having a minimum threshold of threads shared per merchant), average thread heat and general interaction from our community.

Why are we doing this?
We are all here because we love deal hunting and that means interacting with merchants daily and sharing our experiences with eachother. The knowledge our community has is incredible so it seems like a nice idea to make a thing of it and see who comes out on top.

What is in it for hotukdeals?
Nothing This is a positive thread so i'd rather not address this but I know for sure one or two of you will (and I can direct you to this comment each time instead of responding individually ). It is no secret how hotukdeals is funded (see our About page) and contrary to popular belief not every merchant on hotukdeals has an affiliate program but that doesn't stop them being shown on hotukdeals. Many of those merchants are actually shortlisted for your votes. They are there because they deserve to be, no other reason.

What is in it for you guys?
If you spend a couple of minutes to vote you are in with a chance to win 1 of 3 £100 vouchers to spend at ANY shortlisted merchant. So make sure you vote and follow the instructions!

Shortlisted merchants at at glance...

3230213-KQqPA.jpg
Finally....
I want this thread to be something positive and constructive. If you guys have some feedback on this idea then please share it as we'd love to hear.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Looks like each category has suffered the omission of one additional merchant option: "other", and without that option the results are kinda skewed.
No CDkeys?

37652648-REDZH.jpg
magicjay198615/05/2019 13:03

I tried to cover that in my description and why we didn't go for that to …I tried to cover that in my description and why we didn't go for that to pick the shortlist. We decided to base the shortlist on data. Maybe in future we can consider a "community pick" (as a pre-vote exercise) but that is really what the data has provided us with.

Doesn’t make sense that the most popular surely wowcher wouldn’t be popular, sadly seems to be more of an advertising feature probably being cynical but that’s who it looks.

odd you have to pick as well, all mandatory fields when you might not use a retailer or want to pick one. don’t do gaming for example and have to chose a retailer I have never used, pick Ryanair because even though I never flown with them.
Edited by: "eslick" 15th May
magicjay198615/05/2019 19:45

I am a big fan of Amazon but are they ever really market leading …I am a big fan of Amazon but are they ever really market leading (consistently) in terms of pricing? They're more reactive to other sites and price match a lot.

37654770-A6KLL.jpg
That’s all I’m going to say or I’ll start ranting about Amazon and how naff they actually are compared to every other retailer out there.
171 Comments
jimmy_the_fridge15/05/2019 23:29

I'm just glad that hukd are being thoughtful and appreciative to their …I'm just glad that hukd are being thoughtful and appreciative to their members with this draw.Other companies would use this information for profit.It's nice to know that they view this community as a big family.Thank you hukd.

Did you agree to the t&c for the draw? You might change your opinion of not using the information for profit. Enjoy your marketing spam emails for many “retailers” that you exchanged for the slim chance of winning £100.
magicjay198615/05/2019 19:45

If a merchant wins they do not have to pay to display the award. No …If a merchant wins they do not have to pay to display the award. No merchant was contacted to discuss the idea of the awards and their participation/inclusion was our decision. Merchants were contacted a couple of days ago to explain the awards and to tell them they were shortlisted. I guess you mean Amazon? They weren't at the top of our data covering the whole of the year from 2018-2019. I am a big fan of Amazon but are they ever really market leading (consistently) in terms of pricing? They're more reactive to other sites and price match a lot. Prime is of course great but if you don't have Prime there is that to consider. I'm just speculating here but as I say, for these categories we picked they weren't at the top of the data. For what its worth, they do feature in a shortlist on one of our other Pepper sites running this feature too. I'm used to having to respond to these types of comments which is absolutely fine because there is nothing to hide. I just hope people do get involved when we look to do things we've not done before and as I said above, feedback is invited.

Why speculate, apparently this is from the data obtained, post the data. As everyone can clearly see from the other comments, it's just creating distrust since the members had no choice in this list and suspect alot more is going on behind this. I bet after this, many news stories will be ran about how company xxxx won HUKD merchant award voted by the members of the site, with zero comments about the fact they could only pick from a "selected" list.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 16th May
Can't complete the vote on my phone or my tablet. Had to wait 'til I got home and used the PC.
German site lists both Lidl and Aldi at the top of supermarket choices. Seems like something where there should be at least 10 options in each catagory not 5. I voted to be in with a chance of winning but I had to make some weird choices for firms I've never used and know little about. It would have been a lot more accurate if there was an option not to vote on a catagory because you don't have a favourite.
Well this all seems to be going swimmingly....

Uber poor list of categories. Can't vote honestly, so don't be voting.
cecilmcroberts16/05/2019 00:20

Why speculate, apparently this is from the data obtained, post the data. …Why speculate, apparently this is from the data obtained, post the data. As everyone can clearly see from the other comments, it's just creating distrust since the members had no choice in this list and suspect alot more is going on behind this. I bet after this, many news stories will be ran about how company xxxx won HUKD merchant award voted by the members of the site, with zero comments about the fact they could only pick from a "selected" list.

So much scepticism - surely a company with such a strong 5 star Trustpilot rating would not seek to manipulate their membership.
jamie1515/05/2019 20:16

Entered! Looking back through the comments, this thread is so cynical

Being cynical is the driving force of any genuine bargain.
Saturn16/05/2019 07:08

So much scepticism - surely a company with such a strong 5 star …So much scepticism - surely a company with such a strong 5 star Trustpilot rating would not seek to manipulate their membership.

But isn't it typical, when a "community driven" site which was always made for profit, does profit driven campaigns, users who have driven that "community" to what it is, feel entitled to some sort of ownership or say in how it is run. But in reality the site is a business you are only led to believe it's a community as you are needed to help drive traffic and grow said community. You not an employee or the owner of the business.

I see why other feel like that...nature of the beast.
Very select list of retails, guess this is sponsor driven.
bonzobanana16/05/2019 00:45

It would have been a lot more accurate if there was an option not to vote …It would have been a lot more accurate if there was an option not to vote on a catagory because you don't have a favourite.

There is the option not to vote. I only voted in 2 categories.
merb078615/05/2019 22:05

All good here. Feel like it has been years since i seen a post from you. …All good here. Feel like it has been years since i seen a post from you. . Reminds me of the good old early days in HUKD.

Get a room you two... I hear @Chanchi32 has a few deals for one
horsey15/05/2019 21:58

Who knew that giving away £300 would be so difficult and/or controversial …Who knew that giving away £300 would be so difficult and/or controversial

There is sure to be more coming.. but I bet a dollar, that everyone that moans or is hyper critical of this retailer award thread, will still enter for the £300 anyway!!!!

Think its a great idea, as will also gauge, what the hukd community of members honestly thinks, of all the deals being posted, by X retailer, we all know who will be plum last.. but lets just wait for the scores on the doors, see who the lucky winners are ...then await the full list of results for who is where, on the award list!

I still think Woolworth's would have been in with a top 5 shout in this competition!
The survey Monkey privacy policy link on the form goes to German language version. Has no one else spotted this, does no one else read these things?! Can everyone on a UK based website read German?!

I'm shocked and appalled.

It should link to the English version here

migavupe16/05/2019 00:08

Did you agree to the t&c for the draw? You might change your opinion of …Did you agree to the t&c for the draw? You might change your opinion of not using the information for profit. Enjoy your marketing spam emails for many “retailers” that you exchanged for the slim chance of winning £100.

You mean you didn't pick up on any hints of sarcasm in my post?
bitcoin516/05/2019 09:19

Get a room you two... I hear @Chanchi32 has a few deals for one Get a room you two... I hear @Chanchi32 has a few deals for one There is sure to be more coming.. but I bet a dollar, that everyone that moans or is hyper critical of this retailer award thread, will still enter for the £300 anyway!!!! Think its a great idea, as will also gauge, what the hukd community of members honestly thinks, of all the deals being posted, by X retailer, we all know who will be plum last.. but lets just wait for the scores on the doors, see who the lucky winners are ...then await the full list of results for who is where, on the award list!I still think Woolworth's would have been in with a top 5 shout in this competition!

You owe me a dollar.
bitcoin516/05/2019 09:19

Get a room you two... I hear @Chanchi32 has a few deals for one Get a room you two... I hear @Chanchi32 has a few deals for one There is sure to be more coming.. but I bet a dollar, that everyone that moans or is hyper critical of this retailer award thread, will still enter for the £300 anyway!!!! Think its a great idea, as will also gauge, what the hukd community of members honestly thinks, of all the deals being posted, by X retailer, we all know who will be plum last.. but lets just wait for the scores on the doors, see who the lucky winners are ...then await the full list of results for who is where, on the award list!I still think Woolworth's would have been in with a top 5 shout in this competition!

*£100.
jimmy_the_fridge16/05/2019 09:30

You mean you didn't pick up on any hints of sarcasm in my post?

Unsure on this site.
Travel and Leisure is all a bit lacking on the decent front!
-Highheels-16/05/2019 09:25

The survey Monkey privacy policy link on the form goes to German language …The survey Monkey privacy policy link on the form goes to German language version. Has no one else spotted this, does no one else read these things?! Can everyone on a UK based website read German?!I'm shocked and appalled.It should link to the English version here

Its not a hot deal, nobody will click on it, until they have to!!!!!
Baffled that 365games isn't on the gaming list, electronics is not at all useful as it is high street only except AO and it feels like these picks are skewed. What is UKD playing at?
MuramasaEdge16/05/2019 09:53

What is UKD playing at?

My cynical head says this is the Spring version of Flamedeer aimed at getting new signups at a slack time of year.

Happy to be proved wrong though if there's a qualifying criterion for voting that I haven't seen yet - you can't vote unless you've been a member for at least the year that is covered by the comp.
Edited by: "ceres" 16th May
migavupe16/05/2019 00:04

If you’re entering the gift card draw I suggest you read peppers privacy p …If you’re entering the gift card draw I suggest you read peppers privacy policy first before agreeing to it, £100 was not worth my data.

37657380-RuNlZ.jpg
The Pepper Deals Ltd is the hotukdeals Privacy Policy which you will already have been presented with for using the site.
willysnapper15/05/2019 23:23

Why are we being forced to agree to something which is not presented in …Why are we being forced to agree to something which is not presented in the language of this country?

Yep. We've fixed that now.
ceres16/05/2019 09:57

My cynical head says this is the Spring version of Flamedeer aimed at …My cynical head says this is the Spring version of Flamedeer aimed at getting new signups at a slack time of year.Happy to be proved wrong though if there's a qualifying criterion for voting that I haven't seen yet - you can't vote unless you've been a member for at least the year that is covered by the comp.

By entering the survey you do not create an account with hotukdeals so no, this isn't about getting signups. The email address is only used to contact you if you win a voucher. As the page states, this will be deleted once the feature is finished.
magicjay198616/05/2019 10:06

By entering the survey you do not create an account with hotukdeals so no, …By entering the survey you do not create an account with hotukdeals so no, this isn't about getting signups. The email address is only used to contact you if you win a voucher. As the page states, this will be deleted once the feature is finished.

"The knowledge our community has is incredible so it seems like a nice idea to make a thing of it and see who comes out on top."

Well, I'm even more confused now. So, you don't have to be a member of the community to vote in something that's supposed to be a nice thing for the community.
Every time I hear a new conspiracy theory I put another coin in my jar. Can anyone lend me £100 worth of 1p coins please as we've got another 2 weeks of this. Thanks.

37657465-AXEOz.jpg
ceres16/05/2019 10:15

"The knowledge our community has is incredible so it seems like a nice …"The knowledge our community has is incredible so it seems like a nice idea to make a thing of it and see who comes out on top."Well, I'm even more confused now. So, you don't have to be a member of the community to vote in something that's supposed to be a nice thing for the community.

This is hosted on site and promoted on our social channels etc so I imagine a very high % of voters will be members of the community already. So again I think this is another example to show this is not about member sign ups, data collection etc etc etc.
No conspiracy theory jay. You've described something that is not internally consistent.
A retail survey without by far the worlds biggest online retailer is just ridiculous and pointless.
@magicjay1986 While you're answering q's, I posted a link upthread to a Pepper press release about the same comp last year. Can you post up a link to the thread where the candidate retailers were announced, the voting rules and results etc please. I can't find it - carp search function!
ceres16/05/2019 10:25

@magicjay1986 While you're answering q's, I posted a link upthread to a …@magicjay1986 While you're answering q's, I posted a link upthread to a Pepper press release about the same comp last year. Can you post up a link to the thread where the candidate retailers were announced, the voting rules and results etc please. I can't find it - carp search function!

I wasn't involved in that one (at all) but i'll see what I can find
Cheers!
Biddy215/05/2019 15:16

No CDkeys? [Image]

I no eh, whats that all about. First thing i noticed *joins in sulking* xx
-Highheels-16/05/2019 09:25

The survey Monkey privacy policy link on the form goes to German language …The survey Monkey privacy policy link on the form goes to German language version. Has no one else spotted this, does no one else read these things?! Can everyone on a UK based website read German?!I'm shocked and appalled.It should link to the English version here

Couple of us did highlight it . . .

willysnapper15/05/2019 23:23

Why are we being forced to agree to something which is not presented in …Why are we being forced to agree to something which is not presented in the language of this country?

tryn2help15/05/2019 20:43

I tried to read the SurveyMonkey terms and conditions but my German is not …I tried to read the SurveyMonkey terms and conditions but my German is not the best, and I couldn't find an English version.

But, oddly enough, it doesn't seem to matter anyone in authority or indeed to most others.

magicjay198616/05/2019 10:02

Yep. We've fixed that now.

Ah, just noticed your post.
Edited by: "tryn2help" 16th May
deeky16/05/2019 08:32

There is the option not to vote. I only voted in 2 categories.

My mistake, perhaps I should have spent more than 2 seconds zapping through all the options to get to the bit where I enter my details for the raffle.
Amazon ???

The only retailer I want to choose from your list is John Lewis, I would also choose Waitrose but its not there, its not a balanced vote only having a few retailers. My favourite is not necessary the place where i buy from, I buy based on a good deal, a mixture of quality and price, the retailer isn't my primary concern, but i can still like certain retailers even if there are not many deals from them on here.
A poor way of judging retailers..

Amazon, I buy from them but i also hate them for what they have done and being allowed to do by our Government, I would never ever vote for Amazon as best retailer, its a monster...
Edited by: "winchman" 16th May
Biddy215/05/2019 20:35

It says your piles cream is available for collection. Good job I can …It says your piles cream is available for collection. Good job I can read Chinese or you’d still be suffering.

Everyone can read Chinese with Google automatically translate
magicjay198616/05/2019 10:15

Every time I hear a new conspiracy theory I put another coin in my jar. …Every time I hear a new conspiracy theory I put another coin in my jar. Can anyone lend me £100 worth of 1p coins please as we've got another 2 weeks of this. Thanks. [Image]

Just to be clear, MJ, I’m getting a voucher and not this jar, right?
Shouldn't there be a Customer Service category?
mrbeeks16/05/2019 12:39

Shouldn't there be a Customer Service category?

I think that should be in the thoughts of you guys when voting but I don't think we should have such a defined category. One merchant might have the absolute best customer service but maybe their deals are poor etc.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions