Groups

House advice needed please

So my friend recently bought a house for full price(no negotiaton, just paying full price).

This house was not purchased brand new as it was not new.

Now upon getting the keys and in the process of redecorating she now realised that the sewuage pipes go under from the outside towards the inside of the kitchen then underground the house.

Is this illegal? If so what can be done?

Thanks in advance

16 Comments

did she get a good survey done? if not then no one is accountable except it friend. if she did then check the survey and we what that states.

Do they go under an extension?

you get up to 14 days to declare anything that's wrong with a property you purchase

grim, better relist asap

Lots of older properties have sewage pipes running underneath, more often common soil pipes shared by a few houses. Also you can build over the pipes for extensions etc in some areas but the local water company will check it for stability first to ensure it can take the extra weight. I would have thought her solicitor would have provided her with a water/drainage report which would have clearly shown the pipes and where they lay.

No issues as long as they are in good condition. Get them checked whilst she can access them.

Might be worth taking out plumbing insurance for future cover.

sandiford101

did she get a good survey done? if not then no one is accountable except … did she get a good survey done? if not then no one is accountable except it friend. if she did then check the survey and we what that states.

Its nothing to do with the survey.

This should have been picked up in the sewerage and draining searches done by the solicitors during conveyancing. Get them to speak to the solicitor asap and ask what the outcome of those searches were (they should have actually sent them to your friend)

Theres a chance that it didnt come up on the search and it required the solicitor to request the information from the seller (either off their own back or by prompt from you) as Im in the exact same boat at the minute about drainage on our property we are selling

If it didnt come up on the searches and the solicitors didnt ask then there is nothing you can do, except not go with the cheapest solicitor next time as any decent one would be asking about it.

Not illegal!

No and nothing.

most new builds have drainage runs under the property. it is allowed under building regs. Not so common on older properties though.

Our last (semi detached) place had the main water in pipe running directly under next door's kitchen! Thankfully when it started leaking it was just on our side and only needed very minor digging out. We were advised to get a whole new pipe laid under the driveway and back paving.

Given all the faults with our last property, I doubt there's much that's illegal in this area. It's very much buyer beware.

Original Poster

Thanks but i think the problem is that its a sewage pipe that runs out of the side of the property into the front of the kitchen, then through the kitchen and through the house underground.
    The problem is that she wants to extend

gpawan

Thanks but i think the problem is that its a sewage pipe that runs out of … Thanks but i think the problem is that its a sewage pipe that runs out of the side of the property into the front of the kitchen, then through the kitchen and through the house underground.The problem is that she wants to extend

he/she can build over it as long as its not disturbed, or divert the pipe round the extension.
    There's really no issue

gpawan

Thanks but i think the problem is that its a sewage pipe that runs out of … Thanks but i think the problem is that its a sewage pipe that runs out of the side of the property into the front of the kitchen, then through the kitchen and through the house underground.The problem is that she wants to extend

Can you do a sketch drawing showing what you mean?

andrewmclachlan1

you get up to 14 days to declare anything that's wrong with a property … you get up to 14 days to declare anything that's wrong with a property you purchase

would love to know if this is true!

Original Poster

Bobbajob

Can you do a sketch drawing showing what you mean?

Sure will do when i get back home tonight
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?23
      2. Old one pound coins are they worth more then their face value26
      3. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1955
      4. Virgin Media Price Hike retention Deals1318

See more discussions