House Broken into looking for camera system advice?

Found 17th Jul
Looking for a camera system some after my mother's house was broken into during the day!! Hoping to buy something simple with alerts to her phone and not to hard to install.

Also looking for a alarm system may have get someone to come out to fit this.

ps. If you have beading on your outside door get your door changed now can't believe how easy these are to pop off!
Community Updates
AskPhoto & Video
7 Comments
The simplest you can get is something like this ,,,,,amazon.co.uk/YI-…R84

You can get them for £16.99 today - a deal is posted here.

I have a few of these and they are great - send motion detection alerts to a phone - simply plug into a phone charger cable (supplied), connect to your wifi and it works!

I also have a Swann wired system which cost a few £100 - these Yi cameras are the way to go for simplicity.
Anti-snap locks are a must as well.
WatchThisSpac314 m ago

Anti-snap locks are a must as well.

and anti-bump, I bought a set of bump keys to see how insecure locks are and its scary, took me under a minute first time to bump a lock and fairly quiet too.
harlzter2 m ago

and anti-bump, I bought a set of bump keys to see how insecure locks are …and anti-bump, I bought a set of bump keys to see how insecure locks are and its scary, took me under a minute first time to bump a lock and fairly quiet too.

My mate is a locksmith he went out to a house that had been burgled to secure their house. The home owner had just brought a £1000 door but the company put a cheapo lock in, CCTV showed them breaking in within 20 seconds.
WatchThisSpac323 m ago

My mate is a locksmith he went out to a house that had been burgled to …My mate is a locksmith he went out to a house that had been burgled to secure their house. The home owner had just brought a £1000 door but the company put a cheapo lock in, CCTV showed them breaking in within 20 seconds.

At the end of the day though lets face it, locks just keep honest people honest in most cases. I'm just about to start a new job/career in security I'm going down the path at the minute of trying a bit of all aspects ie festivals, doors and site to see which suits me eg this weekend I am hoping to do the tramlines festival, then next week a couple of shifts on the doors, October I've got the possibility of going and doing work at Oktoberfest if my passport gets here in time. After that a couple of weeks doing static site work. Should be an eye opener. One of the lads I know did his first shift at an air show last weekend and on first day on entry checks he himself confiscated 14 knives that people thought acceptable to be carrying. So this work should be an eye opener into the real society we live in.

There is plenty of work out there for anyone who gets an SIA licence and theres loads that is well above minimum wage, £12+ per hour is not uncommon. Last job was in retail management in the Charity sector and whilst a good job it was barely above minimum wage (about 20p per hour above), which was OK but the demands they put on us was ridiculous (contracted for 25 hours but often expected to do 60, understaffed so had to work through breaks unpaid and badly managed at an upper level, expected to be there and setting up 1/2 hour before opening and 1/2 hour after closing - all unpaid and breaking employment laws. I was reaching burnout point). With security you can pretty much pick what hours you want and thats it. You can be with several companies at once and cherry pick the jobs, summer is great as there is enough festival work available to more than equal working full time whilst still being at festivals, getting free accommodation on site and free food provided whilst still getting to do some of the festival in your off time.

The only work I'm not going to try is retail security, its always at minimum wage and you have to deal with scummy junkies spitting at you, threatening you with needles etc. I've seen this first hand in my local Tesco and also heard it from those doing the work.
Edited by: "harlzter" 17th Jul
OP another thing is external beading on older double glazing, it pops right out and the whole pane can be removed. I hate to give gloom and doom but houses really aren't that secure, even alarms don't work that well, what happens when you hear an alarm? 99% of people just think "I hope that alarm gets turned off soon, its annoying". The best deterrent I have heard is a large dog, if people have a large dog the scrotes will think twice, in my previous role I did supervise people doing community service and unbelievably some was on it for burglary, I picked their (somewhat limited) brains and even a sign suggesting there was a large dog in the house made them move to the next target.

Security these days you need to think selfishly in that you just need to make it seem that your neighbours house is a softer target. Same with motorbikes when parking just make it so that yours is that bit harder or less desirable than the ones you park near. Same with cars too in a way, I know mine is not very secure from theft at all, but its not a fast car or a hot hatch but it would stand out a mile due to being the only one like it I have ever seen in this country, I'm not saying its rare and expensive just pretty distinctive so undesirable to some toe rag wanting a car they can nick and put false plates on to stay under the radar, local police know my car as I have been pulled over a few times just so they can see what the hell it is and take pics (yes that's a weird experience). Its a classic beetle thats all, standard underneath with a Rolls Royce style body kit that just replaces standard wings and bonnet. To me its just a fun, easy to work on car that's cheap motoring and puts a smile on my face every-time I drive it.

Hope your mum isn't too unsettled Dizy, I know how it feels when someone breaks in, I ended up moving when it happened to me (I was in bed at the time it happened to me and ended up with hammer to the forehead when confronting them). I knew their face though and justice was served at a later date. Get her some of those window alarms that detect vibrations and just stick on for peace of mind something like amazon.co.uk/Min…R4/ you can put them on the doors and main downstairs windows. I know she will have trouble sleeping to start with and may be irritable, keep an eye out for her mental welfare most of all, that's the biggest cost of being burgled. Look for a mobile she can keep at her bedside with an sos button amazon.co.uk/Den…/ The battery lasts forever on standby and she can programme either your number or 999 and dial it by pressing a single button, if she gets in a panic its harder to dial a number so by pressing the emergency button its very little to think about.
harlzter12 h, 32 m ago

OP another thing is external beading on older double glazing, it pops …OP another thing is external beading on older double glazing, it pops right out and the whole pane can be removed. I hate to give gloom and doom but houses really aren't that secure, even alarms don't work that well, what happens when you hear an alarm? 99% of people just think "I hope that alarm gets turned off soon, its annoying". The best deterrent I have heard is a large dog, if people have a large dog the scrotes will think twice, in my previous role I did supervise people doing community service and unbelievably some was on it for burglary, I picked their (somewhat limited) brains and even a sign suggesting there was a large dog in the house made them move to the next target.Security these days you need to think selfishly in that you just need to make it seem that your neighbours house is a softer target. Same with motorbikes when parking just make it so that yours is that bit harder or less desirable than the ones you park near. Same with cars too in a way, I know mine is not very secure from theft at all, but its not a fast car or a hot hatch but it would stand out a mile due to being the only one like it I have ever seen in this country, I'm not saying its rare and expensive just pretty distinctive so undesirable to some toe rag wanting a car they can nick and put false plates on to stay under the radar, local police know my car as I have been pulled over a few times just so they can see what the hell it is and take pics (yes that's a weird experience). Its a classic beetle thats all, standard underneath with a Rolls Royce style body kit that just replaces standard wings and bonnet. To me its just a fun, easy to work on car that's cheap motoring and puts a smile on my face every-time I drive it.Hope your mum isn't too unsettled Dizy, I know how it feels when someone breaks in, I ended up moving when it happened to me (I was in bed at the time it happened to me and ended up with hammer to the forehead when confronting them). I knew their face though and justice was served at a later date. Get her some of those window alarms that detect vibrations and just stick on for peace of mind something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Minder-Window-Vibration-Battery-Indicator/dp/B00LMC04R4/ you can put them on the doors and main downstairs windows. I know she will have trouble sleeping to start with and may be irritable, keep an eye out for her mental welfare most of all, that's the biggest cost of being burgled. Look for a mobile she can keep at her bedside with an sos button https://www.amazon.co.uk/Denver-Button-GSP-120-Senior-Unlocked-UK/dp/B07952MW4Y/ The battery lasts forever on standby and she can programme either your number or 999 and dial it by pressing a single button, if she gets in a panic its harder to dial a number so by pressing the emergency button its very little to think about.

Totally agree with you - it’s all about you making your house / bike / car harder to steal than the one next to it!
Let’s be honest, you can fortify your house but unless you’re going for bars or shutters on windows, it’s the easiest point of entry (although not the most covert).
You’ll never stop someone stealing something, if they want it and put enough effort into it, they can. It’s about increasing the amount of effort they have to put in to make it less worth it for them.
Dogs definitely work! Mine scares off trades men, and they are being paid to be there!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions