House Burglary - Security System

Posted 7th Dec 2019
My house got burgled last night. Took my laptop and work phone. I’m renting and didn’t have a security system but now will definitely be getting one. Did anyone have any advice on what to look and any good systems. I had a consultation with ADT and Verisure which seem good but wanted to know is there anything else out there before going ahead with one.

Many thanks in advance
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Everyone ignores a house alarm when it goes off, how many times do you hear a house alarm and just assume theres a power cut etc.. i suppose it has the advantage of hopefully deterring a theif or scaring them off.
I use hive door sensors, movement sensors an hive view cameras which text my phone, email and send push notifications if there is a door opened or any movement.
I can then look inside the house with the view cameras in my living room and kitchen/ call the police, not that they will turn up or do anything these days. I guess you just have to prey it never happens because the police wont rush out and if your not home you cant do much and i doubt neighbors will endanger their lives, well i wouldn't want them to either.
Best bet is make your home harder to enter
17 Comments
just a question have you asked the landlord if its ok to have a alarm fitted,,its just my last private rentad house the landlord didnt like the look that a alarm would show
How did they enter the property?
Id start by addressing why it was targeted first.
Everyone ignores a house alarm when it goes off, how many times do you hear a house alarm and just assume theres a power cut etc.. i suppose it has the advantage of hopefully deterring a theif or scaring them off.
I use hive door sensors, movement sensors an hive view cameras which text my phone, email and send push notifications if there is a door opened or any movement.
I can then look inside the house with the view cameras in my living room and kitchen/ call the police, not that they will turn up or do anything these days. I guess you just have to prey it never happens because the police wont rush out and if your not home you cant do much and i doubt neighbors will endanger their lives, well i wouldn't want them to either.
Best bet is make your home harder to enter
Sorry to hear you've been broken into, in a way (and I know it doesn't make it better) just be pleased you weren't confronted by the thieves (I'd call them much worse than that, but I'd be banned )

It doesn't matter what security you've got really, if they want to get in they will, alarms don't matter if they can get in quick enough without someone being alerted. CCTV is an absolutely waste of time but I know people some people like to have it, if they've got their hoodies on and whatever else they choose to wear that stops even their family from recognising them, the Police aren't going to get anything from it.
Landlord has given permission for security system

Burglar entered by prising front door with a tool.

The huge system sounds interesting. How much did to cost for everything including setup

I’m looking at verisure as it has a smoke deterrent once activated. Gives their 0 visibility within 45 seconds.
If they want in they’ll get in. Alarms or cctv don’t really make a difference. You have to make it difficult for them to gain entry, iron outer gates, multi locking doors, window bars, get a big dog etc but that’s difficult in rented accommodation.
Edited by: "discozohan" 8th Dec 2019
I would go for the deterrent factor.

An overt CCTV system and PIR security lights etc. Leaving a lamp on downstairs to give the impression someone’s up often works wonders too.
deleted1471098
Basically you need a bit of everything and a lot of luck.

Cctv, alarm system, smart lights (that come on randomly when you aren’t home), lighting on sensors outdoors and good security (doors etc and locked gates etc). Even with all that they will get in if they want to, most of the time though they will go to the softest target nearby.
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 8th Dec 2019
Pakboy08/12/2019 00:04

Burglar entered by prising front door with a tool.

Maybe you could ask your landlord to up the security of the door, after all it's his property too that's getting damaged. You don't want them trying again knowing it was easy the last time.
Alarms do act as a deterrent, a few years ago our neighbours on both sides were burgled, our house was a better target with less visibility than the other two, only difference was we were the only one with an alarm.

When your landlord said you could fit a security system I doubt they meant a smoke cloak. You can get fairly cheap yale wireless systems and a cheap ip cam if needed.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 8th Dec 2019
Mark_Hickman07/12/2019 23:48

Everyone ignores a house alarm when it goes off, how many times do you …Everyone ignores a house alarm when it goes off, how many times do you hear a house alarm and just assume theres a power cut etc.. i suppose it has the advantage of hopefully deterring a theif or scaring them off.I use hive door sensors, movement sensors an hive view cameras which text my phone, email and send push notifications if there is a door opened or any movement.I can then look inside the house with the view cameras in my living room and kitchen/ call the police, not that they will turn up or do anything these days. I guess you just have to prey it never happens because the police wont rush out and if your not home you cant do much and i doubt neighbors will endanger their lives, well i wouldn't want them to either.Best bet is make your home harder to enter

They are very loud for the burglar though.
best way is good insurance and strong locks, CCTV is good, alarms are ok but time people realize the burger has already gone, plus if you then forget to put on alarm and get burgled , might invalidate insurance, but a good door always help, I lost my keys ones and to call lock Smith,apptnly I had a hard to open wooden door, which took about 5 too ten minutes to open but with Very loud banging
With darker nights, pir lights always works wonders. Most homes tend to have one proper bellbox & dummy one for rear but nothing is stopping you having more proper loud ones. Get twin piezo ones or get the old traditional bell ones that are very different to modern day ones. Most home alarms sound the same, no wonder most folks tend to ignore them when they go off. Never always rely on your neighbours to watch over your house at all times. If I had my choice some big bear traps strategically scattered & camouflaged across my land. Trespassers will not be entertained. Police now treat burglary as low priority so arm & protect yourselves.
I’m currently doing up a new house and the new alarm I’m getting sends me messages to my phone is it goes off

Funny how people only get alarms done after they get robbed
Ring alarm systems.
Thanks guys very helpful. I’ve had mine installed today.
Pricklerickle08/12/2019 10:10

best way is good insurance and strong locks, CCTV is good, alarms are ok …best way is good insurance and strong locks, CCTV is good, alarms are ok but time people realize the burger has already gone, plus if you then forget to put on alarm and get burgled , might invalidate insurance, but a good door always help, I lost my keys ones and to call lock Smith,apptnly I had a hard to open wooden door, which took about 5 too ten minutes to open but with Very loud banging

If they stole my burgers I'd hunt them down and kill them 🍔
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions