Expired

House burgulary - need PS4 for childs xmas - any one got one pls?

Found 29th Nov 2017
My house was burglared and my 11 yr old is distraught as they took her PS4 and all her games (last years xmas present). Shes got some new games for xmas this year but nothing to play them. Afternoon burglary and we have no insurance - hard times. Have crime number and police as looking into it as we lost loads.

Can anyone help out with a cheap replacement PS4, got to pay for new patio door so cant be too expensive? Need to get something to cheer her up - why do thieves take kids stuff?

Thanks

(Mod edit : NB no private sale offers permitted)
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
sparx198110 m ago

One option may be to contact your home insurance company? Depending on …One option may be to contact your home insurance company? Depending on what they took and your excess it may work out cheaper. Was it just the PS4 that they took? I'd be suprised that they went to the trouble of unplugging all of that without taking games or some thing else at the same time.

OP wrote: "We have no insurance".

and

"they took her PS4 and all her games".
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 29th Nov 2017
What games did you lose? I have a terrible habit of buying them on multiple console, i may have the odd spare game knocking around...
Segata-Sanshiro17 m ago

What about rigging up rape alarms so it pulls the plug out if its opened\ …What about rigging up rape alarms so it pulls the plug out if its opened\ "popped"

Good Idea, also try sticking some toy cars at the top of your stairs near the swinging paint pots.

Or just do it properly and get proper alarms.....

No need to re-enact Home Alone.
DKLS2 h, 51 m ago

Burglers usually assume that you will be insured and there is a high …Burglers usually assume that you will be insured and there is a high chance they will make a second visit...

Flodd2 h, 2 m ago

What games did you lose? I have a terrible habit of buying them on …What games did you lose? I have a terrible habit of buying them on multiple console, i may have the odd spare game knocking around...

googley21 h, 30 m ago

The ones she lost were NBA 2K16, Abzu, Singstar, Fifa 17, Lego dimensions, …The ones she lost were NBA 2K16, Abzu, Singstar, Fifa 17, Lego dimensions, no mans Sky...

They'll definitely be back; to return the last one.
71 Comments
sorry for your loss

have a look on amazon warehouse deals may get lucky
set a alert on here to get notifications for PS4 deals

thieves generally don't think about anyone but themselves
One option may be to contact your home insurance company? Depending on what they took and your excess it may work out cheaper. Was it just the PS4 that they took? I'd be suprised that they went to the trouble of unplugging all of that without taking games or some thing else at the same time.
Sorry for your loss
sparx198110 m ago

One option may be to contact your home insurance company? Depending on …One option may be to contact your home insurance company? Depending on what they took and your excess it may work out cheaper. Was it just the PS4 that they took? I'd be suprised that they went to the trouble of unplugging all of that without taking games or some thing else at the same time.

OP wrote: "We have no insurance".

and

"they took her PS4 and all her games".
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 29th Nov 2017
sparx19816 m ago

He has no insurance.
Were they old aluminium doors...the ones you just prise off the runners ?
Burglers usually assume that you will be insured and there is a high chance they will make a second visit, Patio doors can be a weak point, I learnt as a kid how to pop my mums patio door out on the odd occasion I was locked out, it was very easy.

As money is obviously tight I wouldn't go with one of the extra locks you can buy, but do get a cheap length of wood that you can jam in so the doors cant be opened.

Good luck finding a PS4 for your little one, might be worth trying Shpock or Gumtree.
What games did you lose? I have a terrible habit of buying them on multiple console, i may have the odd spare game knocking around...
Hunt round local cash converters and CEX to find your stuff is probably the best bet.

Get insurance too, i have 30k contents insurance it cost £230 which is about the cost of a new ps4.

Secure your home, they will be back for your new things most likely.
DKLS1 h, 1 m ago

Burglers usually assume that you will be insured and there is a high …Burglers usually assume that you will be insured and there is a high chance they will make a second visit, Patio doors can be a weak point, I learnt as a kid how to pop my mums patio door out on the odd occasion I was locked out, it was very easy.As money is obviously tight I wouldn't go with one of the extra locks you can buy, but do get a cheap length of wood that you can jam in so the doors cant be opened.Good luck finding a PS4 for your little one, might be worth trying Shpock or Gumtree.

What about rigging up rape alarms so it pulls the plug out if its opened\ "popped"
Segata-Sanshiro17 m ago

What about rigging up rape alarms so it pulls the plug out if its opened\ …What about rigging up rape alarms so it pulls the plug out if its opened\ "popped"

Good Idea, also try sticking some toy cars at the top of your stairs near the swinging paint pots.

Or just do it properly and get proper alarms.....

No need to re-enact Home Alone.
Original Poster
I was about to move home but got broken arm and forgot to renew insurance. Any games will do if they are cheap enough shes 11. I have let the local shops know and police. The ones she lost were NBA 2K16, Abzu, Singstar, Fifa 17, Lego dimensions, no mans Sky (plus others not sure as never had list.

She would be grateful for anything but not violence/boxing stuff as shes too tender for that. Thank you
googley219 m ago

I was about to move home but got broken arm and forgot to renew insurance. …I was about to move home but got broken arm and forgot to renew insurance. Any games will do if they are cheap enough shes 11. I have let the local shops know and police. The ones she lost were NBA 2K16, Abzu, Singstar, Fifa 17, Lego dimensions, no mans Sky (plus others not sure as never had list. She would be grateful for anything but not violence/boxing stuff as shes too tender for that. Thank you

You sure she had Fifa and NBA 2k16?
Sorry for your loss and hope police can track who did it.
I know it won't help right now, but you must use a Serial logging service, or just note them down yourself. EVERY electronic device has a serial and sometimes a unique device ID. Write them ALL down, and if they ever get lost or stole, you've got access to the details to get them locked, reported as missing, etc etc.

Also useful for you to go into resellers like CEX, Cash Converters and the likes for them to see if they have received any of the items you've got a serial for - they take photos of ALL sellers so they know who is who.

This is the site
Edited by: "SmilingT" 29th Nov 2017
Original Poster
teh.arn37 m ago

You sure she had Fifa and NBA 2k16?

Yes shes a tomboy
Original Poster
SmilingT28 m ago

I know it won't help right now, but you must use a Serial logging service, …I know it won't help right now, but you must use a Serial logging service, or just note them down yourself. EVERY electronic device has a serial and sometimes a unique device ID. Write them ALL down, and if they ever get lost or stole, you've got access to the details to get them locked, reported as missing, etc etc.Also useful for you to go into resellers like CEX, Cash Converters and the likes for them to see if they have received any of the items you've got a serial for - they take photos of ALL sellers so they know who is who.This is the site

Thanks never knew about this site.
DKLS2 h, 51 m ago

Burglers usually assume that you will be insured and there is a high …Burglers usually assume that you will be insured and there is a high chance they will make a second visit...

Flodd2 h, 2 m ago

What games did you lose? I have a terrible habit of buying them on …What games did you lose? I have a terrible habit of buying them on multiple console, i may have the odd spare game knocking around...

googley21 h, 30 m ago

The ones she lost were NBA 2K16, Abzu, Singstar, Fifa 17, Lego dimensions, …The ones she lost were NBA 2K16, Abzu, Singstar, Fifa 17, Lego dimensions, no mans Sky...

They'll definitely be back; to return the last one.
Original Poster
Protect your own homes - the thieves put a brick through the patio doors while we went shopping around 2-3pm. I have lost a lot more but my daughter suffers emotionally and found this very disturbing so I want her life returned to normal asap. Shes having a VR for xmas and now no PS4 - shes gutted. Police got bit blood of glass but it will take weeks for DNA results etc.
If you're skint sell or trade in something you don't use anymore,old consoles & games maybe? Chances are if you buy second hand, you might well find yourself in the same boat when it breaks.
googley210 m ago

Protect your own homes - the thieves put a brick through the patio doors …Protect your own homes - the thieves put a brick through the patio doors while we went shopping around 2-3pm. I have lost a lot more but my daughter suffers emotionally and found this very disturbing so I want her life returned to normal asap. Shes having a VR for xmas and now no PS4 - shes gutted. Police got bit blood of glass but it will take weeks for DNA results etc.

We were burgled some time ago (when our kids were younger than your own) during the afternoon of Christmas Eve when we were at 'the outlaws' for a couple of hours.

They took my video camera (just out from the back of the wardrobe that morning to charge it ready for the next day) & some jewellery, but fortunately our (dearly departed) dogs were sleeping in the same room where Santa had stored the presents he delivered early that year.

The cuprits were never found, & the insurance claim took weeks to resolve (due to the Christmas period).

Good luck with the DNA results... assuming your rogues are already on file due to a previous offence.
Those who are warning of a high possibility of crims returning are right - in the crims mind they got a result - all went smoothly for them - that's all the encouragement they need to return.

Take whatever precautions are necessary.

Also, some very good advice being given by posters re what to do - well done, HUKDpeeps.

P.S. Sorry I can't help re PS4 stuff at the mo', but got xbox 360 stuff gathering dust.
OldEnglish1 h, 2 m ago

If you're skint sell or trade in something you don't use anymore,old …If you're skint sell or trade in something you don't use anymore,old consoles & games maybe? Chances are if you buy second hand, you might well find yourself in the same boat when it breaks.

...I guess there is always the VR headset; that would fetch nearly market price & a replacement (pre-owned) PS4 console could be bought from the proceeds. After Christmas, a pre-owned VR headset may be easier to source too (if any money remains).

However, paying for a home contents insurance policy should also be a priority.

Have you spoken to your daughter about the issue of (paying for) a replacement console/games, @googley2?

Kids can surprise you with their level of maturity at such a young age from time-to-time.
googley21 h, 28 m ago

Protect your own homes - the thieves put a brick through the patio doors …Protect your own homes - the thieves put a brick through the patio doors while we went shopping around 2-3pm. I have lost a lot more but my daughter suffers emotionally and found this very disturbing so I want her life returned to normal asap. Shes having a VR for xmas and now no PS4 - shes gutted. Police got bit blood of glass but it will take weeks for DNA results etc.

My grandmother was done over twice and they took a lot of stuff furniture and all sorts, never caught her furniture was in the local second hand shop but unaffordable and the police wouldn't help get it back. My parents got done once but he only took my sisters costume jewellery.

I don't understand your comments about moving home can you not amend a policy later. Don't get hung up on buying her fancy stuff, feeling safe is far more important to a kid then new tech and seriously don't go running out buying stuff until your protected, my grandmother was done again a few weeks after the first time by the same lot the police thought.
Original Poster
With hindsight I have taken out insurance now - my daughter is happy with 2nd hand stuff as its a difficult few months ahead.
googley213 m ago

With hindsight I have taken out insurance now - my daughter is happy with …With hindsight I have taken out insurance now - my daughter is happy with 2nd hand stuff as its a difficult few months ahead.

You still have each other.

The rest is just stuff.
There seems to be a rising amount of these posts of late, the last one with the pushchair raised over £100 for the OP and I feel this too is a fund generator.

I am in no way suggesting youre lying, but heart strings are certainly being tugged. However, at the end of the day, you had no insurance, its a hard lesson, but you threw the dice and lost. It cant be a lack of money as you have bought a VR so as fanpages said, sell that and buy her a console? Hope you get sorted
fanpages3 m ago

You still have each other.The rest is just stuff.

Alert the mods, fanpages account has been hacked!!
Original Poster
frakison17 m ago

There seems to be a rising amount of these posts of late, the last one …There seems to be a rising amount of these posts of late, the last one with the pushchair raised over £100 for the OP and I feel this too is a fund generator.I am in no way suggesting youre lying, but heart strings are certainly being tugged. However, at the end of the day, you had no insurance, its a hard lesson, but you threw the dice and lost. It cant be a lack of money as you have bought a VR so as fanpages said, sell that and buy her a console? Hope you get sorted

Where have I asked for money? The VR is got on 12 months credit with Very, your totally wrong!!!!
Original Poster
fanpages22 m ago

You still have each other.The rest is just stuff.

I said exactly those words to my daughter this morning but got to work hard now to make a nice xmas for her one way or another.
googley238 m ago

Where have I asked for money? The VR is got on 12 months credit with …Where have I asked for money? The VR is got on 12 months credit with Very, your totally wrong!!!!

I know this is going to sound a bit harsh, but you know how much a second hand PS4 costs surely? Maybe you didn't mean to, but it does come over a bit like, has anyone got a PS4 for next to nothing or free. Not meaning to sound horrible, just telling it like it is. That said, i hope you do get a PS4 sorted for the little one & enjoy your Christmas.Not nice being burgled.
Original Poster
I just put "deal" as that word is in my head for the last week or so.
OldEnglish29 m ago

I know this is going to sound a bit harsh, but you know how much a second …I know this is going to sound a bit harsh, but you know how much a second hand PS4 costs surely? Maybe you didn't mean to, but it does come over a bit like, has anyone got a PS4 for next to nothing or free. Not meaning to sound horrible, just telling it like it is. That said, i hope you do get a PS4 sorted for the little one & enjoy your Christmas.Not nice being burgled.

That is a bit harsh, but tbh the thought also went through my head. Maybe i'm just turning into a cynic.
deleted265520
Isn't it mandatory to have household insurance if you own a home which should include some form of contents insurance?
googley232 m ago

I just put "deal" as that word is in my head for the last week or so.

Maybe there was some objection to the original title of this thread:

"House burgulary - need PS4 for childs xmas - any one got one pls"
DT8929th Nov 2017

Isn't it mandatory to have household insurance if you own a home which …Isn't it mandatory to have household insurance if you own a home which should include some form of contents insurance?

Doesn't say anywhere she owns a home. Also its only mandatory to have buildings insurance.
deleted265520
g8spur12 m ago

Doesn't say anywhere she owns a home. Also its only mandatory to have …Doesn't say anywhere she owns a home. Also its only mandatory to have buildings insurance.

Hence my question mark. I was asking that as a question.

Most household insurance would have some sort of Contents Cover automatically applied. It is probably a low amount but you'd have to choose to exclude this yourself.

If she doesn't own the property then her landlord should have insurance and this should cover some element of the contents.
Like Hari said get insurance mine is stupidly cheap not sure why......
Original Poster
DT8929th Nov 2017

Hence my question mark. I was asking that as a question.Most household …Hence my question mark. I was asking that as a question.Most household insurance would have some sort of Contents Cover automatically applied. It is probably a low amount but you'd have to choose to exclude this yourself.If she doesn't own the property then her landlord should have insurance and this should cover some element of the contents.

I didnt have insurance and now find out my landlord says he doesnt either!!
Edited by: "googley2" 29th Nov 2017
googley23 m ago

I didnt have insurance and now find out my landlord says he doesnt either!!

Don't you own a house that you rent out?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions