HOUSE CONTENTS INSURANCE QUESTION

Found 4th Oct 2011
I've got house contents insurance with Legal & General to cover accidental damage.....

We were worken by a horrific smell this morning, our dog had, had the squits and a good section of carpet was covered in it :o(. I immediately cleared it up and using the blue Morning Fresh washing up liquid (great for carpet spills/stains usually) and my Bissell Green Machine, clearned the whole affected area.

Have come in and you see orange stains on my natural carpet, have just had another go with the Morning Fresh and Bissell but not confident it's cleared it....won't know till it dries out more.

My question is, if it doesn't come out and carpet is stained (and I hope it does come out becos' the prospect of having the hassle of taking it up and replacing it is one I'm not relishing at all) does anyone know if can I claim on the house insurance?

Would have rang Legal & General but hear that now if you ring up with a possible claim it goes down on record even if you don't subsequently claim and it can affect your next premium.

Thanks in advance

17 Comments

can you get a carpet cleaning man in? its amazing what they can remove x

Banned

Would have rang Legal & General but hear that now if you ring up with a possible claim it goes down on record even if you don't subsequently claim and it can affect your next premium. #

Whoever told you that was talking nonsense! Discussing the terms of your insurance with an advisor wont affect your premium

Original Poster

Have just found policy and it's not covered for dog fouling so we're stuffed if it doesn' come out

can you get a carpet cleaning man in? its amazing what they can remove x

Good idea, will go and have a look in the free paper now. Cheers

csiman

Would have rang Legal & General but hear that now if you ring up with a … Would have rang Legal & General but hear that now if you ring up with a possible claim it goes down on record even if you don't subsequently claim and it can affect your next premium. #Whoever told you that was talking nonsense! Discussing the terms of your insurance with an advisor wont affect your premium

it did mine when i rang to discuss a possible claim on my freezer, they made that a claim on my premium, needless to say i went elsewhere

Banned

ilovepink

it did mine when i rang to discuss a possible claim on my freezer, they … it did mine when i rang to discuss a possible claim on my freezer, they made that a claim on my premium, needless to say i went elsewhere

Thats not what I said!

Just hire one of the pro carpet cleaners from B&Q they are brilliant and will be ALOT cheaper than 'getting a man in. Think they are only about £30 for 24 hours so you'll also be able to do all your other rooms as well or even go halfers with a friend and it'll only cost you £15

luvvlychocolate

Have just found policy and it's not covered for dog fouling so we're … Have just found policy and it's not covered for dog fouling so we're stuffed if it doesn' come out Good idea, will go and have a look in the free paper now. Cheers

my man cost £40 for a large lounge...got him off the freegle cafe site..he had all the stain removers...even did a rug for me one with the extra long pile kids had got blu-tack on and no way was it shifting! well worth it imo...was gonna get a rug doctor but i think its hard work and you have to hire and then buy chemicals i think?

aunty jane

Could be worth giving this a go … Could be worth giving this a go http://www.rugdoctor.co.uk/rent-carpet-cleaner

yeh thats the one! but im not sure if the shampoo will be enough for the poop lol

plumberman01

yeh thats the one! but im not sure if the shampoo will be enough for the … yeh thats the one! but im not sure if the shampoo will be enough for the poop lol

Thats the thing with pet smells, even tho you scrub and clean you will always smell it even if no-one else can....Good Luck OP with whatever you decide x.

I would just like to confirm that ringing to enquire whether something would constitute a claim will be seen by the insurer as a claim.

Mix bicarb of soda and white vinegar into a paste and water down with a little hot water. Scrub into affected area and this will sort out the smell issue. This should really be done asap though. Get a pro in for the stain IMO.

Mod & Ed

Simple solution from pet store is good for shifting pet wee / poo / vomit smells and will help with stains

Apt username.

aunty jane

Could be worth giving this a go … Could be worth giving this a go http://www.rugdoctor.co.uk/rent-carpet-cleaner

That's what you get from B&Q, then just get some of the carpet cleaner from the pound shop, it worked a treat for me

Original Poster

Many thanks for the replies, going to get a man in to do it, stain appears to have gone but weird dampy smell this morning but then I'm very sensitive to smells.....could be more to do with the amount of water/morning fresh solution that I put down to scrub into it last night.....have done just a water wash this morning and used the Bissell to suck it all up and stuck some shake'n'vac down to make it more fragrant.

Will get some bicarb and vinegar (thanks for that TUSSFC) today as not sure how fast I can get someone in.

Glad I wasn't dreaming about the house insurance thing...checked with a friend last night and she had her house insurance cancelled becos' on 3 occasions within a year she rang to see if it was worth making various claims, never actually claimed as after excess it wasn't really worth it but they cancelled and she had a helluva job getting a new policy....think AA were the only one's who would take them on in the end.

Thanks again everyone for the tips and advice...much appreciated x

Original Poster

Man coming out tomorrow from carpet cleaning place.....£30 to do the room (clean and deodorize) so I'm happy...just hope it works! Fingers crossed
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions