Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

House flooded

Posted 11th Nov
has anyone else here ever been stupid enough to leave an upstairs tap running?
yes, that was me last night.
found it about 2 hours later by which time it had run through the floor and down the downstairs walls, under the paint which blistered & bubbled
I have no knowledge of whether plaster board can be dried out or not? and am currently awaiting my insurance company phoning back re sending a surveyor round.
Help!
has anyone ever had any experience of this? did it all gets covered by the house insurance? how long did it take to repair? etc
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
There isn't an overflow hole ?
Ooooh, I feel for you, PP. A very stressful situation. I had the immersion tank spring a leak. Took out the landing and part of the living room ceiling. I had to have the services of "Rainbow International" and their electric dehumidifiers running all day long for a week. It did pull a hell of a lot of moisture out though.

All covered by insurance (apart from the replacement tank) - new carpets and decorator for living room. My situation turned into a nightmare that took over 3 months to sort. Getting the carpets sorted took a long, long time as the carpet company made MANY mistakes.

I hope you can get it all sorted. Just don't fret as it should all be covered if you had adequate insurance. I even got an 'allowance' payment for the electricity that the dehumidifiers used!

All the very best, Phsy.
My wife also did this , she fell asleep running the bath and blamed it on been pregnant which she didn’t know at the time but once she found out thought it was perfect excuse. Anyway yeah your insurance should cover absolutely everything, ours came out and said they could arrange the repair or offered us £1500 towards us funding our own repair. Their repair wouldn’t of included redecorating after work finished so we got local tradesman to do everything and we actually got the whole repair including decorating for under the £1400 (they sent cheque for £1500 minus £100 excess) so we didn’t even pay an excess.
Sounds like an insurance scam to me ;-)
Edited by: "ktm666" 11th Nov
ktm66611/11/2019 22:04

Sounds like an insurance scam to me ;-)

Why? These things happen all the time. Like my work colleague whose offspring dragged a open tub of paint from the lounge up the stairs and onto the landing and the other fella I know who was rushing about and dropped two iPads and his phone at the same time. This is why people have insurance.
Yeah but you’ve got to think of the years when you’re insurance(s) increase because you’ve had a claim versus if it’s more practical financially for you to take the hit and pay for the repairs/replacements yourself.

It’s as they say ‘swings and roundabouts’.

Yeah I know that’s what insurance is for but it does cost you more than once, my ‘twopennorth’ which is worth nowt with inflation being what it is nowadays!
666FU12/11/2019 03:24

Why? These things happen all the time. Like my work colleague whose …Why? These things happen all the time. Like my work colleague whose offspring dragged a open tub of paint from the lounge up the stairs and onto the landing and the other fella I know who was rushing about and dropped two iPads and his phone at the same time. This is why people have insurance.

A light hearted ‘jokey’ comment, hilighted by the use of a ‘winky face’
ktm66612/11/2019 07:04

A light hearted ‘jokey’ comment, hilighted by the use of a ‘winky face’

I though it was a bit too soon to joke and maybe a bit insensitive.

I imagine this is quite a stressful situation for op.

But maybe it gave them a giggle and cheered them up.
Years ago our Electric shower "burst" upstairs and flooded the downstairs dining room and most of the hall, thank fully due to the ding room floor having a slight pitch to it the res of the house was fine. The plaster board in the dining room ceiling was fine and the water drained down through the light fitting, it was dried out on a few days, just needed repainting. replaced the then carpet in the dining room and hall with a proper hard board wooden floor. Worked out pretty well to be honest, didn't effect our premium much.
jco8311/11/2019 17:29

There isn't an overflow hole ?

Not sufficient when both taps on.

MODS can you please delete this conversation now thanks.

And many thanks to all that replied
PhilthyPhil14/11/2019 15:02

Not sufficient when both taps on.MODS can you please delete this …Not sufficient when both taps on.MODS can you please delete this conversation now thanks.And many thanks to all that replied

Hi PP. I (and possibly others) would love to know if you are all 'resolved' now? Did your insurance visit and everything is on track? I hope so. It's such an upheaval. Mine was right at Christmas and carried on until March! Basically, Christmas ruined!

Best regards, Phsy.
Phsycronix14/11/2019 15:10

Hi PP. I (and possibly others) would love to know if you are all …Hi PP. I (and possibly others) would love to know if you are all 'resolved' now? Did your insurance visit and everything is on track? I hope so. It's such an upheaval. Mine was right at Christmas and carried on until March! Basically, Christmas ruined!Best regards, Phsy.

Surveyor came today
I'll find out the whole story when I get home but I understand they're
Drying the place out next week when they can get a dehumidifier
And we're getting a redecorating allowance.
Any shortfall is to be covered by me.
I'll be lucky if my marriage survives this tbh.
That's why I'm anxious for this thread to be removed now before it gets spotted
PhilthyPhil14/11/2019 16:44

Surveyor came todayI'll find out the whole story when I get home but I …Surveyor came todayI'll find out the whole story when I get home but I understand they'reDrying the place out next week when they can get a dehumidifierAnd we're getting a redecorating allowance.Any shortfall is to be covered by me.I'll be lucky if my marriage survives this tbh.That's why I'm anxious for this thread to be removed now before it gets spotted

Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear you're getting right-sided. Not sure I understand though why it's a 'marriage' threat? You haven't said anything bad so why are you worried about it getting seen? By your other half, you mean? Accidents happen but I know it can be very stressful.

If it's really a worry, why not report the thread - or use the "Contact us" feature to explain, if you haven't done either already.

Oh well, I hope it all end well. Don't stress about it too much. Material things can be sorted easily - emotional things can be a bit trickier!

Kindest regards, Phsy.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants