House getting rewired, contractor says need isolator switch fitted?

Found 18th Mar 2016
I've been getting quotes to have my property rewired, the firm that I prefer and that have given me the best quote, have said that I will need an isolator switch fitted before they can do the job, I have since raised this question with two more firms who have also given me decent quotes, the both gave a confused look and said this was not the case, before having a little chuckle.
Who is in the right here, I have a 1930s semi, never rewired, has newish box but wired onto the original board.
I presume if a firm is going to do things by the book then this should be done? Or is this a bit over the top and unnecessary.
Community Updates
9 Comments
how much is the cost of the isolator switch?
can you show us a pic of the meter and main fuse?
I would guess that the company isn't "authorised" by powergen to remove the primary fuse, hence they need an isolator switch before they can work on the property. The other companies probably are. The primary fuse is "protected" by a seal that only authorised personnel are allowed to remove and replace
Gmoussoulides

can you show us a pic of the meter and main fuse?

can i ask why?
longbowassassin

can i ask why?

So the kind people on here can give more informed advice. I think its a reasonable request, to see pic. would only get better advice.
Original Poster
A work but will upload a pic later, spoke to some electricians at work, they say this is a normal request and if the meter has never been tampered with it will have a crimped steel part on it, which by rights only my electrical supplier can touch, apparently many firms will not worry to much about doing this as who is to say when/who has removed the security seal.
mart321

A work but will upload a pic later, spoke to some electricians at work, … A work but will upload a pic later, spoke to some electricians at work, they say this is a normal request and if the meter has never been tampered with it will have a crimped steel part on it, which by rights only my electrical supplier can touch, apparently many firms will not worry to much about doing this as who is to say when/who has removed the security seal.

That is correct....
Edited by: "longbowassassin" 18th Mar 2016
Original Poster
Scottish power wanted to charge £86 to come and find one, but there is no charge to come and pull the fuse, so gonna get them to do that and have the lad doing the job fit one for nothing. Problem sorted
it's general practice to put in an isolator switch. every main fuse board upgrade and rewire contract i ran for work fitted one in very single property. pretty sure it comes under BS7671.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions