House hunting and best time to buy ( if there is such a time of the year or even if it’s the right time on account of Brexit)

Posted 16th Dec 2019
Anyone has any opinion about right time to buy a house, especially with Brexit.
Not many good houses for sale at the moment,
Also any comments about agents appreciated
thank you for any help
Community Updates
14 Comments
It depends on where you're looking geographically.
Once people stop panicking about Brexit, things will pick up again. I'd say now is a good time to buy, but there's not much on the market :/
Recently sold and purchased a house , waited to sell after the first brexit leave date then waited for second and that never happened .

I got feed up waiting for the halfwits and sold my house with a local agent for very good money on the first day it went up for 5k over what I wanted .

Purchased a house 2 months later and I’ve not looked back since .

No such thing as rite and wrong time to buy , the time to buy is when you need to buy and tour circumstances, after brexit a lot more buyers will come
To the market and drive prices back up .
Edited by: "ashmac" 17th Dec 2019
A lot of people wait until spring to sell, so there should be some better houses to look at then.
This isn't a time to buy or sell really. Everyone is focused on Christmas so expect to see new properties appearing in late Jan as people will have considered options for extensions\moving and will decide to spruce up the house and then list.
As above the right time can depend on the geographical location and the price of the property.

I’ve read that properties over the £450k actually sell better in the winter.

Boxing Day is the busiest day on Rightmove (not that it means people will suddenly put their property up for sale of course).

I’ve had mine up for sale since Oct 2018 and finally had a buyer 12 months later. But my place has a limited buyer market so I knew it would take a while.

Property prices are predicted to go up in 2020, so if you’re a first time or cash buyer now is the time, assuming the right place is actually being advertised for you.

I always keep an eye on what’s up for sale, because I’m sad like that, and I agree there is a lower than usual amount in my area at the moment.
Edited by: "JimDut" 17th Dec 2019
Firstly brexit will have no effect, secondly April to September traditionally busier selling period.
Last but not least you won’t get a Knock down price without work needing done but it’s what you add that increases the value
Any serious buyers or sellers will be looking to buy or sell any time of the year.
Any serious buyers or sellers will be looking to buy or sell any time of the year.
Thank you for replies, would anyone know when house price go up, if they do, is there a set yearly value of increase, thank you for advice.
sydney217/12/2019 13:54

Thank you for replies, would anyone know when house price go up, if they …Thank you for replies, would anyone know when house price go up, if they do, is there a set yearly value of increase, thank you for advice.

There's no set date for house price increases or decreases, nor is there a set amount for increases or decreases. House prices fluctuate throughout the year, and for many reasons.
House prices tend to increase when the economy is doing well and fall when the economy isn't doing so well. Lack of availability can also drive up prices. Government policy & law can affect house prices (e.g. changes to stamp duty).
As a general rule, over time house prices will always go up. My advice is to concentrate on interest rates as this will determine how much your mortgage payments will be (if interest rates go up then mortgage payments will increase).
I think you should find something you like, aim to get an interest rate as low as you can and start over paying.

It's just like asking when is the best time to buy Euros.... no crystal ball, we would all be making millions if we knew the answer.

Best to find a house you like, be happy with it and start paying off your mortgage to save thousands in interest.
There is no right time, keep looking and if you like the property go for it, I waited 6 months for Brexit and recently moved to my first house.
sydney217/12/2019 13:54

Thank you for replies, would anyone know when house price go up, if they …Thank you for replies, would anyone know when house price go up, if they do, is there a set yearly value of increase, thank you for advice.

This is entirely market and sentiment driven. If we could predict...
What are you intending too buy a dream home for a family or for investment.if for investment then just buy what every you think will give a good return and don't pay over the odds. If it's a family home start looking sooner the better I looked at over 40-50 houses and out offers on 3 before finally getting one . It's not easy unless your after a standard 2 bed house where I live and then these days even they are getting hard too get people are starting pay more than the asking prices.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants