House listed for sale with Manners and Harrison

Found 27th May
Hi,

We have had our house listed with M and H since mid March and had only two viewings with no feedback, have asked multiple people to be as brutal as they like about the picture layout and quality and the price but everyone has said it's just right so wondering what to do next...
Any advice appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
27 Comments
I have not heard of the estate agent, but they may be local to you. Did you choose them because they were good in your opinion?

Properties are shifting very slowly at the moment and it can take a while for a property to sell as you have to wait for the right person to turn up.

Your house hasn't been in the market that long. A property can sit on the market for a year without shifting, then the owner takes it off as no one wants to buy it.

You could speak to the estate agent and ask what they would advise. Whether a drop in price would help.
Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Send me a link to the property on right move. I will have a look for you...
Is the house on rightmove and zoopla? If not it should be and move agency.
I found taking it off and changing a few carpets and giving a few walls a paint made a hell of a difference and it wasn’t that bad before. Cost me £500 and I put the asking price up by £5k and got full asking price, weird what a little paint and new carpet can do.

I also switched agents to one with a lower fee 0.75% (the original agent wanted 3% and had very lazy reps) and found that helped a lot. Unfortunately we had to deal with them to buy the house we wanted but our agent dealt with them mostly thankfully. I didn’t get much feedback other than they had more places to see, the other agents sold it 3 times very quickly for full asking price as it fell through twice. They were very good and complimentary about the house looking at all the positives.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 28th May
Brad710811 h, 32 m ago

Send me a link to the property on right move. I will have a look for …Send me a link to the property on right move. I will have a look for you...

rightmove.co.uk/pro…tml

Thanks Brad71081
The Rightmove listing states that the back garden is mainly laid to lawn with patio area but the photo shows decking and stones, whilst it’s a small point if they’ve clearly got that wrong it may put a suggestion in buyer’s minds that the rest of the listing might not be correct. I think the back garden might be putting people off, it’s clearly a family house but doesn’t look like a garden that children could/want toplay in.
The price looks correct compared with others sold a few years ago. Nothing wrong with the house, it could just be that the market in your area is really slow at the moment.
It might not be the only newly built house so that can be a factor. You have cleaned and hid every item away, put your kettle and toaster back lol
Agree with Toptrumpet. Look at getting it on with multiple agencies. They are then a little more incentivised to sell your property. Find out who sells the most etc... this may help: comparison

I am moving tomorrow and when I listed mine I went with the largest estate agent not the cheapest. I had a viewing on the first day and sold within 1 week. It is total luck I am afraid.

Good luck.
tbf its a lovely house, if i could i would have it , but then i not that picky when picking a house 😜
It is a nice house but the carpets really put me off
Edited by: "mattsk" 28th May
Blimey, didn't realize that you could buy a three bedroom house for that sort of money!
Thank you all for your input, I have considered listing with different agencies so maybe the way we go in the end
Just had another look at the listing and I don’t think the photos are doing justice to the house.
Despite there being 12 photos they seem to be standard images of rooms, they should really incorporate the main/extra selling features the house.
For example:
Bedroom one has double glazed French windows and Juliet balcony, which is not shown on any internal photo, just a bed is shown.
bedroom one makes no mention to storage despite the floor plan intimating built in wardrobes and again a photo should be shown.
A photo from the bottom of the back garden toward the house should also be shown as the house is a on a corner plot and buyers may not understand the garden is really to the side of the house when looking from the road toward the front door.
The photo of the kitchen diner does not show a dining table and buyers might think that there’s nort room for a formal table.
The last thing I really noticed was lack of storage upstairs, no bedside tables or wardrobes.
You’ve done really really well to declutter the house but might have gone too far, it looks a bit like you’d be ready to pack up and move out in less than an hour. Buy a few indoor plants, put some more bits out on the kitchen worktops, put some large canvases on the bedroom walls, put new lightweight curtains back on the pole in the lounge, just make it look like a well loved and enjoyed home.
After you’ve done all that get the agent back in again and get them to take at least 20 photos from every position in and around the house, even from halfway down the stairs showing the front door and cloakroom so that the flow of the house can be clearly seen.
Sorry to be frank but buyers look at the photos first before reading the blurb.
I had an issue with an estate agent when selling my parents home a few years ago. They just sat on the property and wouldn't get people to view. Once the contract had run out I took it off the market and spoke to 3 other local agents. One promised an amazing price (I knew the value of houses in the area and knew it couldn't be achieved). Of the other 2, I went with the most established agent.

He suggested we make a few small cosmetic changes (paint in certain areas etc) and he arranged an open day. We had 4 people view and 4 offers on the table on Monday morning. We went with the family that didn't need to sell to buy and had a mortgage offer on the table.

Same market, same buyers, just approached in a different way.

Good luck with the sale.. I'm still gobsmacked you can pick up a 3 bed house for £110k!
I think you've taken decluttering a bit too far. To me it looks like no one lives there. If you were then to put it up with multiple agents i would assume it was a repossession. Maybe a few toys in the kids rooms or a vase of flowers in the living room and a bowl of fruit in the kitchen might help. A lot of house for the money, good luck with the sale
It's a lovely house , and down south would be going for around £300,000 near me . Houses in our road have been selling within weeks of going on the market, and Idon't live anywhere special, just the market is moving fast in our town .

The two main points that would put me off are the cot in the third room, as it makes it look like there wouldn't be space for a bed and any other furniture, and the back garden , it might suit some, but I'm a gardener and I would want my green space . I appreciate you can't necessarily rip out all the decking and redo , but at least add some tubs and pots with flowers , make it look usable , do you have a wooden garden furniture set you could put out as well, you need to show that it would be nice to spend time there.

If you haven't already , have a good look at what else is on sale in your area at the moment that is similar to yours and work out if your price is right.
House looks good, nicely presented but some of the wall angles are a little strange (which could make picking furniture difficult) as is the rear garden shape and the lack of any green there is a minus. The high fences don't make it a place you would want to spend too much time. You can't do much to the house but you can to the garden. And consider dropping the price.
Edited by: "tallpete33" 28th May
Looks like alot of house for the money. House looks well maintained and very clean but those wall angles look weird inside and the garden looks very uninviting. Good luck....
Not so sure about colour of carpets, add a few accessories in kitchen, looks like it is not lived in. No separate shower.
Edited by: "LEXIE55" 28th May
laings867 h, 24 m ago

Thank you all for your input, I have considered listing with different …Thank you all for your input, I have considered listing with different agencies so maybe the way we go in the end

I find that if you go with multiple agencies, the fee will be more as you often get cheaper fee if you agree to market your property with one agency only. I would find a decent agency by reading reviews on them and also you will find different agencies will have different views on how much the property is worth so you need to work out yourself, which is the more accurate price.

Estate agents tend to put properties on as a try on so they reduce the price after a month if interest is low. The price they first suggest you advertise tend to be far too optimistic as they want to get your business and by making you think that you can get a better price for your house if you market with them.

If you check your contract, you are probably tied in with the current agent so it becomes a bit more complicated to go multiple agent now, there may be extra fees to pay.

I would tend to give a property 6 months to sell and if it doesn’t sell by then, it is time to start worrying and doing something different. As I mentioned earlier, if I were you, I wouldn’t get too concerned yet. Properties take time to sell so you just have to be patient.
LEXIE5532 m ago

Not so sure about colour of carpets, add a few accessories in kitchen, …Not so sure about colour of carpets, add a few accessories in kitchen, looks like it is not lived in. No separate shower.

Actually, replacing the shower curtain with a glass shower screen might be a good idea because a lot of people think shower curtains are old fashioned and unhygienic. (Small upgrade but could enhance the bathroom’s appeal
And if the breakfast bar has the iron on edging strip missing, buy a new roll and fix that, otherwise buyers might think the kitchen worktops are obsolete and requires brand new worktops.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 28th May
Well thank you to everyone has commented with opinions and ideas, definitely gave us more food for thought than the estate agents did, I mean they valued at 115-120k so by going 5k under I thought was the best way to go, I think I don't have the patience as we have viewed 2 possibles ourselves that we would like, only moving due to expanding family and need the extra reception room ideally.

Again thanks for all the input
That is a bargain of a house at that price!! And it’s lovely & immaculately clean I must say. Give it some time it will definitely sell
I agree with what someone else said about decluttering, your house looks bare to me friend like there's nobody living in it. Also the wallpaper in the room with the pink hearts, I'd change it. The bathroom also looks dated I must say. I'd put a new bathroom in if possible and redecorate the rooms. a nice bathroom with wood effect tiles would look great. Hope this helps.
laings861 h, 47 m ago

Well thank you to everyone has commented with opinions and ideas, …Well thank you to everyone has commented with opinions and ideas, definitely gave us more food for thought than the estate agents did, I mean they valued at 115-120k so by going 5k under I thought was the best way to go, I think I don't have the patience as we have viewed 2 possibles ourselves that we would like, only moving due to expanding family and need the extra reception room ideally.Again thanks for all the input

It is a really nice house and fairly priced. There are a lot of houses in your area for a lot less unfortunately which may rule out the first time buyer market. I would change the photo of the back garden as I don't think that is the best angle. As others, I dislike the colour of your carpets but I disliked the carpets in the house i am in so I got rid. They aren't hideous so I don't think anyone would call them a deal breaker. I don't think your estate agent has taken the best photos which do your house justice. If you need a bigger house, have you thought about a part exchange for a new build?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants