london rd
sw2 4pl

just an example

i need one that can do this for my new job

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
AskSat Nav
42 Comments
Have you got a job that is just delivering to pretentious households?
You could save the house names in the destinations / favourites folder on most sat navs I assume. Not sure if this would be sufficient for you.
Original Poster
dcx_badass

Pretty sure house names are unofficial and there's not a list of them to … Pretty sure house names are unofficial and there's not a list of them to use like a normal address.

i thought this but then courier companies and the post office deliver to house names
champsx5x5

dcx_badass Pretty sure house names are unofficial and there's not a list … dcx_badass Pretty sure house names are unofficial and there's not a list of them to use like a normal address.i thought this but then courier companies and the post office deliver to house names

Would they not go off the postcode though?
champsx5x5

i thought this but then courier companies and the post office deliver to … i thought this but then courier companies and the post office deliver to house names

... but don't most houses with names also have numbers, unless it's a very short road or ... a very big forest?
Err, I don't think so.
Only because, like a personalised number plate, they can be taken with you.

They are added to the Post Office database, but they will still have a number assigned to it. You won't walk down London Road 1, 2, 3, 4, rose house, 5, 6.
I used to do multi-drop driving. Believe me, if you're using a satnav, the house names are gonna be the least of your worries
House names are in the postcode database. I used to live in a street where every house had a name. Websites that ask for a postcode for payment or delivery purposes would switch to a drop-down scrolling list of names so I just had to click on my house names.

Satnavs on the other hand usually discard the numbers and names to save memory. You get sent to the same location whatever house number is entered.
Only one sat nav system work like that. Works on Android phones and Apple. The name is M8 or Telmap. Doesn't wor on tablets. This is on-line navigation so must be internet connection. After put post code on seeker we have list of adresses on display, numbers and houses with names.

good luck
Anyone have any luck,im looking for one as well???
Over The Knee

... but don't most houses with names also have numbers, unless it's a … ... but don't most houses with names also have numbers, unless it's a very short road or ... a very big forest?

Houses in rural areas often are name only and with no street name as well which can make them fun to find when their post code covers a handful of houses spread over a square mile or so.
M8 app on android does, and saves me hours around country lanes each day looking for farms and house names. You do have to pay £1.99 per month, but it's worth it with the amount of time it saves.
Agharta

Houses in rural areas often are name only and with no street name as well … Houses in rural areas often are name only and with no street name as well which can make them fun to find when their post code covers a handful of houses spread over a square mile or so.

This. We live in a small village and maybe half the properties have names only. Many dont even have street names - we are on an unadopted road with no official name.

There may be a local directory - I know that one of the courier drivers that delivers to us has a book with maps of the villages in the area together with property names.
The app M8 on iPhone or android is fantastic in my opinion. I use it every day for delivering. It uses your phone internet connection rather than satellite so it's best if your phone package includes unlimited data. If not you can use satnav then when your close then switch to your phones M8. This is live data so more often than not it is more upto date and lists addresses your satnav may not, even if you have the latest maps on your satnav. You put your postcode in then one address will appear, click on the the box displaying the address then a drop down box appears with all the house names or farms, select the one you want then click drive. This has taken me right outside the house I selected every time. I would highly recommend M8 and I use it on iOS iPhone which was free and no monthly subscriptions. I have heard that with android they may be a small subscription fee but I am not sure, even if their is I would still subscribe as M8 is a timesaver and stress reliever. But remember if your phone doesn't have a signal then m8 will freeze until signal comes back but has never happened to me yet.
Can somebody give me the iPhone link to download this from as I can't find it on the App Store also does anybody's know of an app that you can add multiple postcodes in and it will optimise it for me?? Thanks in advance
Mickeybyker

Can somebody give me the iPhone link to download this from as I can't … Can somebody give me the iPhone link to download this from as I can't find it on the App Store also does anybody's know of an app that you can add multiple postcodes in and it will optimise it for me?? Thanks in advance

No longer available on Apple but you can still download it for Android via Google and Amazon (It asks for a subscription after 7 days which you can't subscribe to anyway) But by deleting and restoring it again can use it for another 7 days....The ONLY App I know that can find House Names and its gone bust by the sounds of it! :-(
The M8 app is no longer available on the play store. It'd still available in amazon though, for how long is unclear
and buy a car charger too because whenever i've used google maps for 1+hr journeys, it's killed my battery
I used M8 all the time. Now it won't work. Not impressed. Need a sat nav that uses house names. M8 was 99% accurate.
Google maps navigation has all house names
Yes M8 was the best but has recently been taken down. I relied on this app as it had all house names brilliant app. Not sure what else replaces it?
Anyone find a alternative to M8?? Was a great App and is so needed in my work(courier).
There is NO alternative unfortunately.........I've had to resort to using the Royal Mail Postcode/Address Finder Site, Which is fiddly and not so easy to use. (Up to 50 searches a day)
if you use the Smartphone version after about 12 searches it asks you to enter a ridiculous Captcha code which I can never get right due to the way its laid out..If anybody else uses it please send a complaint/comment to Royal Mail about it as the more that complain the more chance of it being changed!
Thanks for the reply if I find anything that resembles M8 I will put up in here hope you do the same to ha
Hey, got a contract email for the company who has the rights to m8 Sat nav, I'm not sure they are aware just how popular this app was with couriers...

Please email him and let them know how much this is sadly missed....I've already done so..

Kbhatia@telecomsys.com

Thanks

Headfull
I am a chimney sweep in wales and have relied on m8 to get me to very remote properties. Now I am lost without my m8! I have sent an email.... if everyone sends emails maybe he will realise m8 is profitable and bring it back!
I've sended email to. I need M8 and I love it. Tested royal mail but those codes ruin my day. Can't input correctly
I suspect that M8 was not a legitimate PAF or OS licence holder and that is why it was shut down. The costs of licensing PAF /OS for point address use case is absolutely crazy. The PAF data is actually a pretty poor dataset.
I have found that the land registry map search (no daily limits) gives a pinpoint for the exact property location, I wonder if this is the data m8 used, the royal mail app is useless it doesn't pinpoint the exact house at all.
cinnabarsweeps

I have found that the land registry map search (no … I have found that the land registry map search (no dail[quote=cinnabarsweeps]I have found that the land registry map search (no daily limits) gives a pinpoint for the exact property location, I wonder if this is the data m8 used, the royal mail app is useless it doesn't pinpoint the exact house at all.

[b]Hi saw your post on here searching for house names, Ive had a look for website but says you have to pay have you got a link for the website please or instructions? I deliver to a rural postcode 90% house names and have been having a rubbish time since M8 shut down.... Any help would be great

Thanks
Same here...I looked at the Land Registry Site and it states something like £6 or £8 per search!!!
or am I looking at the wrong place?

Pete
I emailed them about M8 stating that it could be profitable as so many people are willing to pay for the service and also it was the best navigation app on the market. I have just just had a reply from them. Not good news

Thank you for your interest in Telmap’s M8 navigation application. Unfortunately the service is no longer available and Telmap does not plan to re-launch.

Thank you again for your interest.

----------------------------------------------
Jim Mohler
Telmap Ltd
The Land Registry free search doesn't appear to pinpoint properties either, just the usual postcode centre.
Why cant this database of addresses and house names be made public, there is no security issue, oh hang on, "they" would'nt make any money from it then would they !!
Unfortunately there is an issue with UK address being made publicly available. A few years ago streetmaps.co.uk had a website that would display the locations of individual houses, names and numbers but after 12. Months that ceased. Then transport direct did more or less the same thing web based and then that was pulled last year and of course the latest victim M8.
Any updates guys
Just to let you know I work for a courier company and we have a software which allows us to find house names and numbers and even businesses. This software is not available online and this is due to security reasons, we are only allowed to use it for our work and nothing else. It's part of the data protection. So I'm afraid you won't get anything online that will pinpoint a house name, sorry guys. Security is too tight now.
This has popped up recently. An online tool, free and easy to use that pin points 99 % of UK properties.

ukmapcentre.com/aca…AaA
Courierjoe

Just to let you know I work for a courier company and we have a software … Just to let you know I work for a courier company and we have a software which allows us to find house names and numbers and even businesses. This software is not available online and this is due to security reasons, we are only allowed to use it for our work and nothing else. It's part of the data protection. So I'm afraid you won't get anything online that will pinpoint a house name, sorry guys. Security is too tight now.

Rubbish - there are loads of council web sites that offer local property pinpointing for their area, no security or data protection issues. I don't know who told you that, probably the company that sold you the mapping solution? Any pinpointing service council, or the commercial product you are using, or similar ones developed by private companies that the emergency services use, get their data from the same source as M8/Telmap did, and it is not the PAF.
paulholmes100

This has popped up recently. An online tool, free and easy to use that … This has popped up recently. An online tool, free and easy to use that pin points 99 % of UK properties. http://www.ukmapcentre.com/acatalog/500_and_1250_pack_by_email.html?gclid=CPHx3caZ2bYCFdHMtAodzRoAaA#.UtbhstJdUzM

Paul, like you said 99%... I have tested it on a few postcodes I know that throw up problems, and it did not always pinpoint the property, in fact worse, it lists it in the drop down, but pinpoints it in the wrong place. Try GL88YH and look for Wynchfield House. It is one of those properties that is a fair distance from the postcode anyway.
Given that at some point geographical coordinates for each property must have been entered by hand it's not surprising there's a few errors. Here in rural Norfolk the thing works pretty much to 9/10. If it's not there and the customer hasn't left a phone number then it go's back for another day

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants