House of Fraser - refunds

Found 10th Aug
What's peoples experience of claiming refunds after a company has gone into administration?

I've paid by credit card for a few items totalling around £200. What are my rights if i refuse delivery?

Everything I can see online is a case of tough luck, your loss. Surely there are things in place to protect customers for a business going bust?
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
It will be running as normal in a few hrs after Mike Ashely takes over.
Mike Ashley's Sports Direct has agreed to buy the House of Fraser department store chain for £90m.

Earlier on Friday, House of Fraser went into administration after talks between the retailer and its creditors failed to reach an agreement.

All of its 59 shops were set to open as usual on Friday, including the 31 that had already been marked for closure.

House of Fraser - which began trading 169 years ago - employs 17,500 people, including 11,500 concession staff.

Sports Direct said in a statement: "The group has acquired all of the UK stores of House of Fraser, the House of Fraser brand and all of the stock in the business."
If the goods aren’t delivered and you’ve paid by credit card you can do a charge back if you don’t get the money back.
fearona1 h, 20 m ago

Mike Ashley's Sports Direct has agreed to buy the House of Fraser …Mike Ashley's Sports Direct has agreed to buy the House of Fraser department store chain for £90m.Earlier on Friday, House of Fraser went into administration after talks between the retailer and its creditors failed to reach an agreement.All of its 59 shops were set to open as usual on Friday, including the 31 that had already been marked for closure.House of Fraser - which began trading 169 years ago - employs 17,500 people, including 11,500 concession staff. Sports Direct said in a statement: "The group has acquired all of the UK stores of House of Fraser, the House of Fraser brand and all of the stock in the business."

The rrp's will be huge lol
Forget anything you bought under HoF ownership.

Administration is a nifty way of avoiding all the old debts. Ashley will have agreed with the Administrators that all liabilities have a red line through them. That includes rents on properties, rates, pensions contributions, creditors, customer deposits, the lot.

Other than anything he agrees as a matter of goodwill. And he is big on goodwill isn't he? Lots of good news stories out there about Sports Direct customer Service.aren't there?
It's business as usual.
fearona22 m ago

It's business as usual.

It's not actually. Mike Ashley has bought the business from the Administrator, not directly from the House of Fraser - that business went bust by going into Administration. So he will have purchased the business without any historic debts or liabilities - only suppliers who can prove retention of title will be able to either get payment or their goods back - all others who are owed money or goods are now required to chase their debt with the Administrator.

Customers who have paid deposits or in full for items not yet received also have to register their claim with the Administrator. So if a courier knocks on your today/tomorrow with your order I'd take it quick!

As above as you have paid by a credit card you may be able to get a refund from your card provider.

Administration/Bankruptcy basically means the business is gone - and there is really no one to chase for any outstanding goods/payment. The Administrator will raise cash from the business by selling what they can, then as a first priority pay themselves their exorbitant fees as well as pay any VAT owed and then a few years down the road will share what money is left to the creditors on a pro rata basis. Administration is a very dirty business!!
Business as usual, look into it some more.
Website is up and trading and accepting gift cards etc

What are my return rights? Typically, if you bought something in-store from House of Fraser, you can return the item within 14 days for a full refund to the original payment method, regardless of whether it's damaged or not.

For returns outside of this period but within 28 days, you can exchange the item or be refunded with a gift card.

Online purchases can also be returned to store or to a House of Fraser return centre within 28 days of your order for a full refund, and within 35 days for a House of Fraser voucher.

House of Fraser's customer service team told us this morning that this policy will remain as normal for now, but again, it's not yet clear what Sports Direct will decide to do, so if you have something you wish to return, don't wait,
ccnp5 h, 1 m ago

Forget anything you bought under HoF ownership. Administration is a nifty …Forget anything you bought under HoF ownership. Administration is a nifty way of avoiding all the old debts. Ashley will have agreed with the Administrators that all liabilities have a red line through them. That includes rents on properties, rates, pensions contributions, creditors, customer deposits, the lot.Other than anything he agrees as a matter of goodwill. And he is big on goodwill isn't he? Lots of good news stories out there about Sports Direct customer Service.aren't there?

And that is why I never shop at sports direct!

I gave them a call earlier and they are operating as business as usual. Refunds still accepted and I brought online so because it's BAU I will be covered by distant selling regulations anyway so should be fine now!

Panic over! Just didn't want to lose my money!
Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated
Mary_Mary4 h, 4 m ago

And that is why I never shop at sports direct!I gave them a call earlier …And that is why I never shop at sports direct!I gave them a call earlier and they are operating as business as usual. Refunds still accepted and I brought online so because it's BAU I will be covered by distant selling regulations anyway so should be fine now!Panic over! Just didn't want to lose my money!

Never believe the haters stick to facts.
fearona1 h, 26 m ago

Who on this thread has been a "hater"?
fearona9 h, 1 m ago

I believe through experience - sports direct will try anything to avoid giving a customer their money back (or at least where I live they do!)
Are the gift cards being accepted as normal - should I try and offload them ASAP or should use them judiciously like I have done in the past?
Any news on whether can use gift cards?
I’ve just tried to use gift cards online but they won’t accept them. So the short answer appears to be no, gift cards can’t be used online. Fairly safe to assume it’ll be the same situation instore.
matwalaboy11 h, 54 m ago

Are the gift cards being accepted as normal - should I try and offload …Are the gift cards being accepted as normal - should I try and offload them ASAP or should use them judiciously like I have done in the past?

ALYMAC761 h, 32 m ago

Any news on whether can use gift cards?

neilcromie11 m ago

I’ve just tried to use gift cards online but they won’t accept them. So the …I’ve just tried to use gift cards online but they won’t accept them. So the short answer appears to be no, gift cards can’t be used online. Fairly safe to assume it’ll be the same situation instore.

If you have a look at the House of Fraser twitter account (@houseoffraser) they are suggesting that Gift Cards are returned to the Head Office and replacements will be issued. Address: Gift Cards, 27 Baker Street, London, W1U 8AH

Legally they don't need to honour them but it looks like they will through goodwill - but put customers through some hoops to do so in the hope that most will just write off the loss.
Van197312 m ago

If you have a look at the House of Fraser twitter account (@houseoffraser) …If you have a look at the House of Fraser twitter account (@houseoffraser) they are suggesting that Gift Cards are returned to the Head Office and replacements will be issued. Address: Gift Cards, 27 Baker Street, London, W1U 8AHLegally they don't need to honour them but it looks like they will through goodwill - but put customers through some hoops to do so in the hope that most will just write off the loss.

Thanks for checking. You are right suspect a lot of people will leave it. Seems a hassle reissuing the cards.
Van19731 h, 30 m ago

If you have a look at the House of Fraser twitter account (@houseoffraser) …If you have a look at the House of Fraser twitter account (@houseoffraser) they are suggesting that Gift Cards are returned to the Head Office and replacements will be issued. Address: Gift Cards, 27 Baker Street, London, W1U 8AHLegally they don't need to honour them but it looks like they will through goodwill - but put customers through some hoops to do so in the hope that most will just write off the loss.

Thanks, I had just my quidco cashback to turn them to zeek and then buy HOF gift cards - almost £300 so have to try and see if I can get it back.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants