House Renovation Paint Advice

Posted 17th Apr
Hi all,

So I’m just in the process of having my whole house

re-boarded and skimmed after a complete renovation.Just wanted to get some

advice on paint and how best to tackle the odious task of completing it…

I’m going to invest in Wagner 350 airless paint sprayer

(resell on ebay after completion)

I plan to use Leyland trade Contract Matt Paint 50/50 with water as

undercoat on all wall and ceilings.

Missus has taken a liking to the Dulux White Cotton paint –

They have this in Matt Emulsion and Silk Emulsion – I’m not sure which one to

pick for my walls. From what I understand silk leaves a bit of shine and is wipe-able,

whereas the matt isn’t wipe-able and is a bit more dull looking BUT is the

modern look in paint to have on walls?!

Ceilings will be in

Pure Brilliant (haven’t decided which one)

The other issue is whether to use the trade or retail paint for

the Dulux.

The 5lt tubs of the retail Dulux paint is currently on offer

at Homebase on a 3 for 2 offer so £56 for 15 litres

Or Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt is £40 for 5 litre's

Is the trade paint that good that I could justify the price

difference in the paints. I am better off just using a few more coats of the

retail paint?

I’d appreciate any suggestions or comments from anyone who

has experience or knowledge about this. It’s a lot of paint I’ll be buying and I

just want to make sure I’m not wasting time, energy and money before I start.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
Never decorated on that level before, but I've always used Silk on ceilings as I figure it might reflect an extra little bit of light down. Other than that, I've used some trade paints before and been incredibly underwhelmed by them, mind you that was from when I moved into a persimmon homes new build about 28 years ago, I scrounged some from the guys on the site.
Just a thought about the paint sprayer. I've used a Wagner on two separate occasions, each time it was new out of the box. I always found it worked best the first time I used it. Perhaps I didn't clean it will enough from one day to the next, but I could never get it to work so well on the second day. So, I'd be tempted to mask-up everywhere first and then do the whole house in one day. You can do a full wall in about 30 seconds once you've got the hang of it.

Be careful not to put too much paint on the wall.
Edited by: "terriclarkfan" 17th Apr
Trade paints are different to retail paints only really in the 'ease' of application - i.e. SPEED.

I skilled painter generally prefers a very low viscosity paint (thin) so that it can be applied fast. Although thin, trade paints still have good opacity - so may also need few coats than a retail pant.

A retail paint is normally thicker - as a more viscous paint is easier to apply by an unskilled DIY'er.

As you are going to spray I'm not sure which will be best for you - as thinning down the paint will adjust is properties anyway.

Matt vs Silk - yep, it's down to fashion. Silk is easier to clean but Matt is more forgiving of poorly plastered walls - the greater the sheen the more any imperfection will stand out.

Dulux and Leyland are both good brands.
Be careful with the paint and the sprayer - some sprayers need specific paint as it won’t be able to spray the thicker stuff. Also, as #terriclarkfan says, if you don’t clean the sprayer properly after use, it will cause small blockages and will leave splats all over the wall.
Had my house done by professional company. I asked for matt on the walls and looks really good and an eggshell in the kitchen and bathroom as advised. The colours i chose for bathroom didnt look like the ones from the book much brighter and bolder than expected so that was a bit if a let down. I paid for dulux diamond matt or vinyl matt in places were touch ups maybe needed. Cant say im disappointed yet but has only been done about a month. Will have to see what it wears like with 3 kids. The painter said white cotton egyptian cotton amd natural hessian is what people are going for nowadays.
Van197317/04/2019 12:57

Trade paints are different to retail paints only really in the 'ease' of …Trade paints are different to retail paints only really in the 'ease' of application - i.e. SPEED.I skilled painter generally prefers a very low viscosity paint (thin) so that it can be applied fast. Although thin, trade paints still have good opacity - so may also need few coats than a retail pant.A retail paint is normally thicker - as a more viscous paint is easier to apply by an unskilled DIY'er.As you are going to spray I'm not sure which will be best for you - as thinning down the paint will adjust is properties anyway.Matt vs Silk - yep, it's down to fashion. Silk is easier to clean but Matt is more forgiving of poorly plastered walls - the greater the sheen the more any imperfection will stand out.Dulux and Leyland are both good brands.

Pretty much the opposite of what you’ve said is reality. Trade paint is thicker in the tin to allow for Manual thinning for application.

Op if you don’t mind having to do an extra coat go retail if you want a solid finish for 1 or 2 coats go trade
Dannyrobbo17/04/2019 14:53

Pretty much the opposite of what you’ve said is reality. Trade paint is t …Pretty much the opposite of what you’ve said is reality. Trade paint is thicker in the tin to allow for Manual thinning for application. Op if you don’t mind having to do an extra coat go retail if you want a solid finish for 1 or 2 coats go trade

Which brands are thicker then? I'll then tell you whether I formulated them or not!
Thanks for all the replies.

I did read reviews about these airless paint sprayer machine clogging up and I have opted to pay full price from Screwfix rather than second hand from eBay for precisely this reason. I know I can take it back within 30 days if this happens. There were a lot cheaper alternative on eBay from US (Wagner 150) again - I thought about paying less but no guarantee, so hoping the £520 i'm forking out for the Wagner 350 will be worthwhile.

For the price difference I think I’ll go with retail paint. I got three weeks off from tomorrow so I don’t mind putting in a few extra hours if it saves me money.

Still unsure on whether to use Silk Emulsion or Matt Emulsion. I would prefer matt but I really don’t want to continue having to do touch ups in the future. This whole renovation has been exhausting, it'll be a year in June - Once this painting is done I just want to sit back, relax, enjoy the sun and drink beer...

Would it look a bit silly if I used both? Say, if I used the Matt on most the walls or areas but then Silk on others which are likely to get a lot of finger marks etc.?
Van19731 h, 4 m ago

Which brands are thicker then? I'll then tell you whether I formulated …Which brands are thicker then? I'll then tell you whether I formulated them or not!

Isnt dulux trade pain thicker out of the tin than retail paint, that's what I`ve read
Dulux Easycare comes in Silk or Matt and both will withstand cleaning, it's made for kitchens and bathrooms, very pricey though.
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 17th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions