House rent during COVID-19

Posted 29th Apr
As we all have financial problems due to this outbreak and money is tight I emailed my estate agent that I am struggling and will pay half the rent this month
This was the reply

Tenancy Agreement states any rent payments which are more than 14 days late will incur an annual interest charge of 3% above the Bank of England base rate for each day after the due date for which the rent remains unpaid.

Kind Regards

any one greeting any help with it
They are charging interest on top
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
What`s the problem , you entered into an agreement to pay rent for a house
toonsquirel29/04/2020 18:38

There are basically refusing to help which they don’t have too, most are b …There are basically refusing to help which they don’t have too, most are been nice but some don’t care. Either suck it up or don’t pay any rent you can’t Ben kicked out so it’ll take them probably 6 months to get you out, 6 months free rent while you looking for somewhere else.

Glad you aren't my tenant! Landlords have bills to pay too
Hmm..... You have told them you will pay half the rent. Have you told the supermarket you will pay half for your food..... I wonder what they would say !
Cuthb3rt29/04/2020 19:45

Amazing that landlords who have been immediately offered payment breaks by …Amazing that landlords who have been immediately offered payment breaks by banks are here criticising someone for not fulfilling a contract signed under completely different circumstances. I'm not a religious man, but I do hope these landlords meet St Peter at the Pearly Gates and are asked to explain this grotesque behaviour. "But they entered into a contract!" ain't gonna cut it.

My electricity provider, my gas company, my water company, my insurance company and my council are not offering repayment breaks because my tenant can't/won't pay the rent. The supermarket won't let me just pay for half my shopping. If my tenant says the boiler needs replacing or the shower has broken, do I only pay half? Landlords are not all money grabbing parasites you know.
86 Comments
I would have served notice after that email. But then again, I'm not an estate/lettings agent.
Well. They cannot evict you for 3 months minimum according to the emergency measures. After that you are on your own.
Go on universal credit and they will pay the rent . They will just have to wait for there money .
Edited by: "yozzman1234" 29th Apr
There are basically refusing to help which they don’t have too, most are been nice but some don’t care. Either suck it up or don’t pay any rent you can’t Ben kicked out so it’ll take them probably 6 months to get you out, 6 months free rent while you looking for somewhere else.
mikeportsmouth29/04/2020 18:16

Mate when you will have financial difficulties then you will understand the "Problem"
Lives have changed for some after covid

There are basically refusing to help which they don’t have too, most are b …There are basically refusing to help which they don’t have too, most are been nice but some don’t care. Either suck it up or don’t pay any rent you can’t Ben kicked out so it’ll take them probably 6 months to get you out, 6 months free rent while you looking for somewhere else.

Glad you aren't my tenant! Landlords have bills to pay too
m4029/04/2020 18:38

Mate when you will have financial difficulties then you will understand …Mate when you will have financial difficulties then you will understand the "Problem"Lives have changed for some after covid

Yes but how can anyone advise you properly without a full breakdown of your finances & household?

It's not "free rent" - the landlord will undoubtedly take steps to recover any unpaid rent. It will just come back to bite the OP at some later point in the future.
Hmm..... You have told them you will pay half the rent. Have you told the supermarket you will pay half for your food..... I wonder what they would say !
Sorry to hear youre struggling OP. Surely you can find ways of cutting down expenditure (sky, snacks, branded grocery, subscriptions etc) You must have sommat put by for a rainy day too? Its only been a month and a half in lockdown- I really don't understand it (financial woe) if you haven't done so already - id think you really need to reassess your finances. House rent should be paid in full its a necessity, and too many knock on effects if you don't adhere to a contract
You’re not going to be the only one in this position so I’d say just pay what you can and hopefully somewhere along the line the government will step in and help people with the extra charges that have been incurred due to Covid-19. That might be expecting too much but you can only pay what you can as have to eat etc. Hopefully things will work out for you.
Rent/mortgage is the first thing that should be paid and in full.
Are you furlough?
Plus maybe if you had a chat with them first, you could have come to some sort of an arrangement.
Amazing that landlords who have been immediately offered payment breaks by banks are here criticising someone for not fulfilling a contract signed under completely different circumstances.

I'm not a religious man, but I do hope these landlords meet St Peter at the Pearly Gates and are asked to explain this grotesque behaviour. "But they entered into a contract!" ain't gonna cut it.
deleted341252

Plus you will then pay the Landlords legal fees, court costs and interests. Your credit record will be marked with a court order for up to 6 years and nobody will ever give you a property again. You wont get 6 months free rent you will be made bankrupt in the end. Any new landlord will get a reference of the old one. Good chance your employer will find out as well and have a court order to deduct your wages.
Landlords still have to pay bills too.

Im a landlord and still working due to having bills to pay so why shouldn't my tenants pay me?.

I would get charged and it would effect my credit score so yes you should be charged interest if you pay late.
AMaky29/04/2020 19:34

Rent/mortgage is the first thing that should be paid and in full.Are you …Rent/mortgage is the first thing that should be paid and in full.Are you furlough?Plus maybe if you had a chat with them first, you could have come to some sort of an arrangement.

Key worker mate and isolation as was not feeling well getting ssp probably (£95 )
While tenants run away with all the sympathy, anyone care what landlords have to go through. Telegraph has a timely article highlighting the plight of a landlord who is losing £4,100 a month due to errant tenants. How is supposed to feed his family?

telegraph.co.uk/pro…es/
markvirgo29/04/2020 19:48

Landlords still have to pay bills too. Im a landlord and still working due …Landlords still have to pay bills too. Im a landlord and still working due to having bills to pay so why shouldn't my tenants pay me?. I would get charged and it would effect my credit score so yes you should be charged interest if you pay late.

Eat less avocado toast.
tempt29/04/2020 19:49

While tenants run away with all the sympathy, anyone care what landlords …While tenants run away with all the sympathy, anyone care what landlords have to go through. Telegraph has a timely article highlighting the plight of a landlord who is losing £4,100 a month due to errant tenants. How is supposed to feed his family? https://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/buy-to-let/coronavirus-means-losing-4100-per-month-landlords-businesses/

Get a job, maybe?
deleted341252

Amazing that landlords who have been immediately offered payment breaks by …Amazing that landlords who have been immediately offered payment breaks by banks are here criticising someone for not fulfilling a contract signed under completely different circumstances. I'm not a religious man, but I do hope these landlords meet St Peter at the Pearly Gates and are asked to explain this grotesque behaviour. "But they entered into a contract!" ain't gonna cut it.

Landlords having payment breaks = extra interest on the mortgage account for next 20 years. The banks are being unhelpful with this for many as well. There is no PAYMENT FREE period - it all has to be repaid back along with excessive interest.
m4029/04/2020 18:38

Mate when you will have financial difficulties then you will understand …Mate when you will have financial difficulties then you will understand the "Problem"Lives have changed for some after covid

Many will empathise, but few will sympathise with such an implied blunt statement sent to EA / landlord with no hint of request / negotiated arrangement / payback schedule intention.
samwants2save29/04/2020 19:27

Sorry to hear youre struggling OP. Surely you can find ways of cutting …Sorry to hear youre struggling OP. Surely you can find ways of cutting down expenditure (sky, snacks, branded grocery, subscriptions etc) You must have sommat put by for a rainy day too? Its only been a month and a half in lockdown- I really don't understand it (financial woe) if you haven't done so already - id think you really need to reassess your finances. House rent should be paid in full its a necessity, and too many knock on effects if you don't adhere to a contract

I have get rid of everything and now stick to basic product range in supermarkets
m4029/04/2020 19:49

Key worker mate and isolation as was not feeling well getting ssp probably …Key worker mate and isolation as was not feeling well getting ssp probably (£95 )

get yourself tested asap then so can go back to work.
Cuthb3rt29/04/2020 19:50

Get a job, maybe?

why bother when you can leech off someone else's earnings
deleted34125229/04/2020 19:50

Landlords having payment breaks = extra interest on the mortgage account …Landlords having payment breaks = extra interest on the mortgage account for next 20 years. The banks are being unhelpful with this for many as well. There is no PAYMENT FREE period - it all has to be repaid back along with excessive interest.

Are you seriously equating the suffering caused by getting a minor increase in monthly payments on a mortgage to the suffering caused by being turfed out of a home?

My electricity provider, my gas company, my water company, my insurance company and my council are not offering repayment breaks because my tenant can't/won't pay the rent. The supermarket won't let me just pay for half my shopping. If my tenant says the boiler needs replacing or the shower has broken, do I only pay half? Landlords are not all money grabbing parasites you know.
tempt29/04/2020 19:52

why bother when you can leech off someone else's earnings

Bingo. Who knew relying on the precarious earnings of someone poorer than yourself could carry the risk of losing money?
If you were the landlord & you got an email stating "I will pay half the rent this month" what would you do?
Email again and explain that you're short of money & that you would like to come to an agreement with him, rather than just telling him that you're not going to pay.

I'm not a religious man, but I do hope these landlords meet St Peter at …I'm not a religious man, but I do hope these landlords meet St Peter at the Pearly Gates and are asked to explain this grotesque behaviour. "But they entered into a contract!" ain't gonna cut it.

I'm not religious either, but I'm pretty sure Romans says something about paying what is owed.
xeroc29/04/2020 18:54

It's not "free rent" - the landlord will undoubtedly take steps to recover …It's not "free rent" - the landlord will undoubtedly take steps to recover any unpaid rent. It will just come back to bite the OP at some later point in the future.

What you mean by free rent
That's his money and you support them charging interest on top
psychobitchfromhell29/04/2020 19:53

My electricity provider, my gas company, my water company, my insurance …My electricity provider, my gas company, my water company, my insurance company and my council are not offering repayment breaks because my tenant can't/won't pay the rent. The supermarket won't let me just pay for half my shopping. If my tenant says the boiler needs replacing or the shower has broken, do I only pay half? Landlords are not all money grabbing parasites you know.

Before you bite, read her previous posts in other threads and ignore her. Only here to wind people up.
m4029/04/2020 19:49

Key worker mate and isolation as was not feeling well getting ssp probably …Key worker mate and isolation as was not feeling well getting ssp probably (£95 )

You need to apply to universal credit
Cuthb3rt29/04/2020 19:49

Eat less avocado toast.

What makes you think I do?.
Do you think all landlords are rich?, I work in a warehouse 50 hours plus a week and am trying to build a good retirement fund and for my family.
Cuthb3rt29/04/2020 19:50

Get a job, maybe?

Whos to say he doesnt?

Painting everyone with the same brush is quite a bold statement.

A relative of mine is a Landlord with a supermarket job and 2 mortgages.

Should I tell him that he needs to trim down on the "avocado toast?"
mikeportsmouth29/04/2020 19:55

Comment deleted

If someone claims benefit for the sake of paying their landlord, who's sponging?
tempt29/04/2020 19:49

While tenants run away with all the sympathy, anyone care what landlords …While tenants run away with all the sympathy, anyone care what landlords have to go through. Telegraph has a timely article highlighting the plight of a landlord who is losing £4,100 a month due to errant tenants. How is supposed to feed his family? https://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/buy-to-let/coronavirus-means-losing-4100-per-month-landlords-businesses/

Europeans have gone home leaving some of his 23 properties (bedsits) empty....
cis_groupie29/04/2020 19:55

If you were the landlord & you got an email stating "I will pay half the …If you were the landlord & you got an email stating "I will pay half the rent this month" what would you do?Email again and explain that you're short of money & that you would like to come to an agreement with him, rather than just telling him that you're not going to pay.

Mate I had many emails and conversations about it
At most I told them I can pay half
fearona29/04/2020 19:55

Before you bite, read her previous posts in other threads and ignore her. …Before you bite, read her previous posts in other threads and ignore her. Only here to wind people up.

I've said my piece and will treat any further comments with the contempt they deserve
Cuthb3rt29/04/2020 19:57

If someone claims benefit for the sake of paying their landlord, who's …If someone claims benefit for the sake of paying their landlord, who's sponging?

tennant
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions