House searches

Posted 20th Jul
Anybody had searches completed on a house they’re purchasing recently ? How long did it take?
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Approx 3 weeks for mine - solicitor said that mine came back last week.

I think it could vary for different areas / local authorities.

Good Luck with it all.
sustar20/07/2020 22:11

Approx 3 weeks for mine - solicitor said that mine came back last week.I …Approx 3 weeks for mine - solicitor said that mine came back last week.I think it could vary for different areas / local authorities.Good Luck with it all.

Thanks, have you been given a rough date of completion yet?
andyjp120/07/2020 22:22

Thanks, have you been given a rough date of completion yet?

No problem, not yet as contracts not exchanged as my solicitor raised enquiries last week once searches came back. I plan to make contact Tues or Wednesday this week to get an update but appreciate they may still be waiting responses to enquiries.

Are you still waiting on your searches?
Yes, searches for the house I’m buying are due August 5th or before.

Had an email this morning with regards to the house I’m selling stating there are “enquiries” which will be sent to my attention shortly, hopefully not as bad as it sounds !
Is there any way of fast tracking the searches? I’m in a chain and the people at the bottom of the chain are causing delays - they put in their offer in May but only just started the process of arranging searches last week - we’re meant to be exchanging contracts next week! It’s a massive oversight by my solicitor and estate agent to not have checked... I’m FURIOUS!!
shelliebish22/07/2020 16:12

Is there any way of fast tracking the searches? I’m in a chain and the p …Is there any way of fast tracking the searches? I’m in a chain and the people at the bottom of the chain are causing delays - they put in their offer in May but only just started the process of arranging searches last week - we’re meant to be exchanging contracts next week! It’s a massive oversight by my solicitor and estate agent to not have checked... I’m FURIOUS!!

i don't think so. they tend to take a couple of weeks, but that was before the lockdown. they may take longer now. doesn't sound like you will be exchanging next week.
mutley122/07/2020 18:36

i don't think so. they tend to take a couple of weeks, but that was …i don't think so. they tend to take a couple of weeks, but that was before the lockdown. they may take longer now. doesn't sound like you will be exchanging next week.

You’re probably right... and to make matters worse, the chap we’re buying from has now said if it’s not completed by the end of August he’s going to take the house off the market. I’m absolutely gutted, especially as the house is our dream forever home!

Who should I be harassing most to push it through as quickly as possible - the estate agent or my solicitor? I’ve spent most of today sending emails, WhatsApp messages and talking on the phone to the vendor and the director of the agent... who else would help?
shelliebish22/07/2020 18:46

You’re probably right... and to make matters worse, the chap we’re buying f …You’re probably right... and to make matters worse, the chap we’re buying from has now said if it’s not completed by the end of August he’s going to take the house off the market. I’m absolutely gutted, especially as the house is our dream forever home! Who should I be harassing most to push it through as quickly as possible - the estate agent or my solicitor? I’ve spent most of today sending emails, WhatsApp messages and talking on the phone to the vendor and the director of the agent... who else would help?

both. one thing we tend to do when we sell a property is to ask after a couple of weeks whether the searches have been carried out as that is the indicator of whether the other side is serious or not as they tend to delay this if they have other things going on.

end of august still gives you enough time for the slow train at the back to finish their paperwork. your vendor may say that to hurry things up, but he may be just as anxious as yourself to sell his house so i would take that statement with a pinch of salt.

being in a chain is always very stressful. our friends said they nearly ended up getting a divorce when they were stuck in the chain for their house as it was so stressful, they were having a go at each other out of frustration!
mutley122/07/2020 19:16

both. one thing we tend to do when we sell a property is to ask after a …both. one thing we tend to do when we sell a property is to ask after a couple of weeks whether the searches have been carried out as that is the indicator of whether the other side is serious or not as they tend to delay this if they have other things going on.end of august still gives you enough time for the slow train at the back to finish their paperwork. your vendor may say that to hurry things up, but he may be just as anxious as yourself to sell his house so i would take that statement with a pinch of salt.being in a chain is always very stressful. our friends said they nearly ended up getting a divorce when they were stuck in the chain for their house as it was so stressful, they were having a go at each other out of frustration!

Our agent told us that everything had been done - we’ve been pushing for the move to happen next week since mid-May as the previous sale from February fell through due to COVID cold feet (overseas investor) so the poor vendor has been waiting for us all this time! We were promised that it was all in hand, the mortgage offers were done etc - and it’s all been a big fat fib. I can’t let this drag on much longer, he’s given a deadline before pulling out plus my mortgage offer (from Feb!) is due to expire in August too.

I’m going to have to sit in the estate agents office and refuse to leave until they get things sorted!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants