Housing Benefit – does the landlord need to know when renting privately?

Found 14th Sep 2012
By this I mean are the local authority that process the claim obliged to tell the landlord? I seem to recall in the past that there was an option on the form where you told them if it was okay to contact the landlord. Not sure if things have changed as it was quite a while since I claimed.
Community Updates
46 Comments
I claimed a 3 years back and I remember the exact same thing. I believe it speeds things up if you do let them contact the landlord.
So unless it's changed in the last 3 years I'd say you don't have to let the landlord know
Our next door neigh bough claims HB and there landlord is non the wiser, however i do believe, they had to provide there tenancy agreements.

Thanks peeps!
Landlord should be informed as some insurance companies will not cover the property if tenants are in receipt of benefits.
donaldduck2

Landlord should be informed as some insurance companies will not cover … Landlord should be informed as some insurance companies will not cover the property if tenants are in receipt of benefits.

Building or contents?
Agharta

Building or contents?

Well building i would imagine, unless the house was rented furnished.
I wouldn't take on a tenant without full references and credit check.

Prior to my current tenants, I was going to accept some single mother on benefits as she had a guarantor... until credit checks were done on him and we found out he didn't even earn enough to cover the rent.
Guv I can understand that some people ruin it for us all, I'm a single mum on benefits and I'm currently studying a B.A. Honours degree until I'm well enough to go to work, my dad wanted to be a guarantor but due to being made redundant he had a ccj so failed, I was lucky enough to find a landlord to take me, my rent has been paid on time every time in the 3 years I've been renting. I look after my home and have saved to make it a lovely home for my son. I have a dog, but if I put him in the kennel tomorrow and you came to look round my house you wouldn't be able to tell as he is fully trained and doesn't chew and I clean the carpets regularly. Landlords shouldnt write people on benefits so quickly, some of us can't help it and don't always have family support through no fault of their own, but we are respectful and have the ability to look after the property sometimes better than people that work. I personally do repairs if I am able instead of asking my landlord as I intent to live here a while I want it to be lovely.
Credit checks don't reveal your earnings or your employment status.
no, but the key to it is this.... you need to have the funds and deposit of a private place as the housing benefit takes several weeks to come through. you also need to make sure the rental price is within the band for the local area. if you pay up front the bons and rent until the housing benefit comes through......and you have it paid directly into your bank account....the land lord need never know.
in other words you need money (can be borrowed as youll be back paid, allow appx 6 weeks) and you need to be responsible if you fit that criteria then yes you can get away with it
I don't want to turn this into a benefit bashing thread but princess bullit, how can you afford to home a dog if you can't home yourself sufficiently? and how can you study for a degree but not be well enough to work?

And is your dog allowed to stay in the house or do you hide that fact from your landlord?
jellybaby22

^^^ your probably in the minority sadly. My ex and I rented out our flat … ^^^ your probably in the minority sadly. My ex and I rented out our flat to someone we knew who was on HB..the rent was always late...cos he spent the money....and he wrecked my flat.... If I had to rent again I wouldn't touch anyone on HB..they aren't paying for the property and so have less incentive to look after it....plus the money going into their account is all too tempting..unless you get it direct to the landlord.

I believe the HB can't be paid direct to landlord. Shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush
its entirely up to the landlord who they give business to, so its up to the potential tenant to give the right impression. end
I would say that if you have been renting at the same property for a while but that your circumstances have changed you will possibly be ok. But any insurances that the landlord may be paying may require that they are informed of any change and as such the landlord should be advised.

If you are thinking of starting a new tenancy theoretically anything that the landlord wants to know should be asked and disclosed in advance of the tenancy starting
biggest mistake ever to pay HB to the tenant rather than the landlord imo

cant get my head around that you may have a £750 grant but find a property for say £500 or less and keep the difference! oO

Edited by: "csiman" 14th Sep 2012
jellybaby22

I live in Scotland and my mum rents out a flat to a girl on HB...she … I live in Scotland and my mum rents out a flat to a girl on HB...she recently got the council to make direct payments o her rather than the claimant as she wasn't paying her rent. So yes it can be done.And I'm sorry but it's my opinion if you don't work and are getting something for nothing you have less incentive to look after it than if you are working and paying your rent.Not a risk I would be willing to take again...I had to pay for the flat repairs...no point chasing the tenant..he has no money..so can walk away .....

Ooops that was a typo should've said "can". I was made redundant and whilst I was looking for a job I relied on the HB to pay my rent.
Princess Bullit

Guv I can understand that some people ruin it for us all, I'm a single … Guv I can understand that some people ruin it for us all, I'm a single mum on benefits and I'm currently studying a B.A. Honours degree until I'm well enough to go to work, my dad wanted to be a guarantor but due to being made redundant he had a ccj so failed, I was lucky enough to find a landlord to take me, my rent has been paid on time every time in the 3 years I've been renting. I look after my home and have saved to make it a lovely home for my son. I have a dog, but if I put him in the kennel tomorrow and you came to look round my house you wouldn't be able to tell as he is fully trained and doesn't chew and I clean the carpets regularly. Landlords shouldnt write people on benefits so quickly, some of us can't help it and don't always have family support through no fault of their own, but we are respectful and have the ability to look after the property sometimes better than people that work. I personally do repairs if I am able instead of asking my landlord as I intent to live here a while I want it to be lovely.

I certainly didnt imply that everyone with housing benefit was dodgy and I wasn't suggesting that everyone that passes credit checks and has good references was trustworthy. At the end of the day its all a gamble which I'd prefer to lower my potential risks. The tenants I have now seem very nice, no kids (but 2 dogs) and have been doing loads of stuff (especially in the garden) to make things more homely. My only worry is they may up and GTFO back to Greece before the tenancy expires - but if they did, the deposit becomes mine. Hopefully they will stay for years!
guv

I certainly didnt imply that everyone with housing benefit was dodgy and … I certainly didnt imply that everyone with housing benefit was dodgy and I wasn't suggesting that everyone that passes credit checks and has good references was trustworthy. At the end of the day its all a gamble which I'd prefer to lower my potential risks. The tenants I have now seem very nice, no kids (but 2 dogs) and have been doing loads of stuff (especially in the garden) to make things more homely. My only worry is they may up and GTFO back to Greece before the tenancy expires - but if they did, the deposit becomes mine. Hopefully they will stay for years!

i dont think theyve much to go back home for guv, think youre on to a winner there ive found the greeks to be nice people and pretty reliable to be fair.... they take care of things and love nice gardens being mediterrean; should be ther for the long term
casparwhite

i dont think theyve much to go back home for guv, think youre on to a … i dont think theyve much to go back home for guv, think youre on to a winner there ive found the greeks to be nice people and pretty reliable to be fair.... they take care of things and love nice gardens being mediterrean; should be ther for the long term

I do hope so. Rent has been paid on time each month, though they have got me to pay for a few bits (eg new carpet in the living room), but the improvements theyve made and money spent is far more than that cost. Only issue is a dispute with a neighbour 3 doors down, whose graden and boundary joins at the bottom. Not my fence, but needs sorting (for their sake and their dogs!)..... am just about to take them to court to pay since they have agreed to do the work but not bothered.

Weird though! When I was there a month or so ago, a guy knocked on the door selling something. Short version - he recognised he was Greek and started talking. Turns out the tattoo this guy had, was done by the tenant when he had a tattoo shop on a greek Island a few years ago. lol
bykergrove

I don't want to turn this into a benefit bashing thread but princess … I don't want to turn this into a benefit bashing thread but princess bullit, how can you afford to home a dog if you can't home yourself sufficiently? and how can you study for a degree but not be well enough to work?And is your dog allowed to stay in the house or do you hide that fact from your landlord?

My landlord knows I have a dog, I was merely showing an example of the fact the house is well looked after even with a dog. I can study for a degree but be unable to work currently due to an illness which is personal and deeply upsetting. My mind however is sharp and I'm looking to improve myself. And my housing situation is privately rented and I don't get full housing benefit I top it up, so I am contributing to my housing payments, consider me paying to house my dog, hes no strain on the taxpayers, I have paid my taxes for 13 years and now have had to call on them to help me when I'm sick which is my right and what I paid all my taxes for.
csiman

biggest mistake ever to pay HB to the tenant rather than the landlord … biggest mistake ever to pay HB to the tenant rather than the landlord imocant get my head around that you may have a £750 grant but find a property for say £500 or less and keep the difference! oO

It was only £5 above you could keep,and that's stopped now. We get hb and it gets paid direct to me, whilst I do agree with you that it's stupid, it was easier to get it paid to us because it's paid fortnightly, our rent is calendar monthly and my wages are monthly so I know my wages will actually cover the rent instead of a load of unecessary maths and 3 different payments to our landlady.
Btw we've never not paid the rent, even when we moved in and it was getting sorted we still had the first 2 months sorted.
Dehumanization

It was only £5 above you could keep,and that's stopped now.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018928

Currently, if the rent you pay is less than the weekly Local Housing Allowance rate, you can keep up to £15 of the difference.
So Guv your housing the immigrants, I hope they're legals..!!!!
colinsunderland

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018928Currently, if the rent you pay is less than the weekly Local Housing Allowance rate, you can keep up to £15 of the difference.

From your own link,

From April 2011, if the rent you pay is less than the weekly Local Housing Allowance rate, you will only receive the amount you need to pay for your rent.

And sorry I thought it was £5.
Edited by: "Dehumanization" 14th Sep 2012
shauneco

EU?
MAIA

EU?

For now
shauneco

For now

Thought it was the euro they may have to leave, not the EU?
MAIA

Thought it was the euro they may have to leave, not the EU?

True, I was joking anyway.
My two-penneth worth:

(1) ~6 years ago a good friend of mine (single mother) needed to rent a flat. She didn't want the agency or landlord to know that she would be paying the rent from HB so (a) she got a guarantor, (b) I paid the deposit and 1st month's rent for her, and (c) she used her tenancy agreement as evidence when she submitted her HB claim so the landlord did not need to confirm the rental details. She has paid me back and her rent on time ever since - and looked after the property (not just her flat within it).

(2) I have just helped another friend fill out a claim for HB. On the form it asked if (a) it was OK to contact the landlord, and (b) how the HB shoul be paid, eg. direct to the landlord.

So, to answer the OP's question, the answer is "no". Frankly, the bottom line for landlords is to get THE RIGHT TENANT(S) - whether they pay the rent from earnings/savings or from HB is of a lot less importance IMHO. I would even go as far as to say it is worth discounting the rent to get the right tenant.
Alfonse

its entirely up to the landlord who they give business to, so its up to … its entirely up to the landlord who they give business to, so its up to the potential tenant to give the right impression. end

And vice versa.
Princess Bullit

My landlord knows I have a dog, I was merely showing an example of the … My landlord knows I have a dog, I was merely showing an example of the fact the house is well looked after even with a dog. I can study for a degree but be unable to work currently due to an illness which is personal and deeply upsetting. My mind however is sharp and I'm looking to improve myself. And my housing situation is privately rented and I don't get full housing benefit I top it up, so I am contributing to my housing payments, consider me paying to house my dog, hes no strain on the taxpayers, I have paid my taxes for 13 years and now have had to call on them to help me when I'm sick which is my right and what I paid all my taxes for.

The problem with politely explaining yourself to the self-righteous is it just encourages them.
csiman

biggest mistake ever to pay HB to the tenant rather than the landlord … biggest mistake ever to pay HB to the tenant rather than the landlord imocant get my head around that you may have a £750 grant but find a property for say £500 or less and keep the difference! oO

why?

so what happens to the people who pay up front themselves exactly?
payment can only be made direct to landlord if the tenant is not in arrears.

the council need a letter from landlord to confirm that the tenant is not in arrears so the landlord will be contacted in any case.

donaldduck2

Landlord should be informed as some insurance companies will not cover … Landlord should be informed as some insurance companies will not cover the property if tenants are in receipt of benefits.

Good advice.

csiman

Incorrect advice(unsurprisingly).

mutley1

payment can only be made direct to landlord if the tenant is not in … payment can only be made direct to landlord if the tenant is not in arrears.the council need a letter from landlord to confirm that the tenant is not in arrears so the landlord will be contacted in any case.

Please re-read and re-submit.
I believe that what you are trying to say is incorrect
shauneco

Greece is in the EU, so not a problem. Greeks seem fine..... its just when they get converted they get cranky.
thesaint

Please re-read and re-submit.I believe that what you are trying to say is … Please re-read and re-submit.I believe that what you are trying to say is incorrect

payment can only be made direct to landlord if the tenant is not in arrears.

the council need a letter from landlord to confirm that the tenant is not in arrears so the landlord will be contacted in any case.
mutley1

payment can only be made direct to landlord if the tenant is not in … payment can only be made direct to landlord if the tenant is not in arrears.the council need a letter from landlord to confirm that the tenant is not in arrears so the landlord will be contacted in any case.

You are incorrect.
mutley1

I thought that was one of the reasons direct payments were made, if a tenent had 8 weeks arrears, might be wrong about that though, maybe thesaint could confirm?
colinsunderland

I thought that was one of the reasons direct payments were made, if a … I thought that was one of the reasons direct payments were made, if a tenent had 8 weeks arrears, might be wrong about that though, maybe thesaint could confirm?

If a tenant is in arrears, then the landlord can apply for direct payment. This is discretionary.
If the tenant is 8 weeks or more in arrears, then it is mandatory.

It has always been possible for the landlord to get direct payments with no arrears with a bit of work, but it was made easier in April of this year.

Under the new Universal Credit system that the government is starting next year, the payments will be made directly to the tenant.

There are no safeguard(8 weeks arrears) for a landlord that have been announced to date.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants