Hoverboard recommendations for an 8 year old?

Posted 23rd Sep
Daughter has asked for one for her 8th birthday, I don’t know much about them. Could anyone recommend a certain type? Max budget is £150 thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
I got really excited there that I'd finally get to reenact that scene from Back to the future, then I googled hoverboard and excitement turned to disappointment as it wasn't what I thought.
Dangerous contraptions id pick something else
Most important criteria is that you have somewhere safe & dry to store it for 2-3 years before trying to sell it 'hardly used' on Gumtree.
As stated above the things are death traps and even if she can ride the thing it probably won't get much use.

If she doesn't have one spend the money on a half decent push bike.
Have you got enough room to use it in as you can't use it anywhere public?

It is completely legal to own a hoverboard, however, and you may use it as much as you want on private grounds. It's only the act of riding it on public grounds that is against the UK law.
Edited by: "chocci" 24th Sep
Killjoys!
@nala375

Don’t want to sound like a kill joy but from my own experience my kids had one and it hardly got any use.

Firstly they are heavy to carry especially for an 8 year old.

Its unlikely they’ll just be able to ride it out from the house unless you have a massive paved area around your home.

You can’t ride them on the pavements, roads so you have to think about how you are going to get it to where you are going to use it.

Then once you ride it, it’s honestly fun for around 10 mins and then the novelty wears off, it’s not like a bike, skateboard or scooter where you can learn new tricks, it’s forward, back and round in a circle that’s it.

I would suggest if she has to have one, get a second hand one from gumtree.

You will then probably find yourself selling it again on Gumtree in a few month time and hopefully get back around what you paid for it in the first place.
Peejay123424/09/2019 08:31

Killjoys!

An 8 year old will lose control and veer into a road and get killed, failing that fall off backwards and smash their skull or coxic
Mark_Hickman24/09/2019 09:32

An 8 year old will lose control and veer into a road and get killed, …An 8 year old will lose control and veer into a road and get killed, failing that fall off backwards and smash their skull or coxic

Really, wouldn’t they wearing a helmet and using it well away from any roads.

That would be reasonable to expect, so neither scenario you mentioned is likely to happen.

Not saying riding them isn’t risky but it’s more likely to be cuts, bruises, fractures and broken bones rather than death by a car or smashed skull.
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 24th Sep
Can someone explain to me why they are called Hoverboards when they don't ?
myusernamehasgone23424/09/2019 09:39

Really, wouldn’t they wearing a helmet and using it well away from any r …Really, wouldn’t they wearing a helmet and using it well away from any roads. That would be reasonable to expect, so neither scenario you mentioned is likely to happen.Not saying riding them isn’t risky but it’s more likely to be cuts, bruises, fractures and broken bones rather than death by a car or smashed skull.

The only place ive seen these used is along the pavement next to a road with parents trailing far behind too busy checking facebook and ive never seen any of them wearing a helmet so my scenario is very likely to happen, maybe you spend time at parks and see children there with them and wearing safety gear which i dont however that doesn't change the fact that a lot ride by the road
furbars24/09/2019 09:45

Can someone explain to me why they are called Hoverboards when they don't ?

Makes them sound more interesting to get sales because they're boring after 5 minutes lol
Mark_Hickman24/09/2019 09:53

The only place ive seen these used is along the pavement next to a road …The only place ive seen these used is along the pavement next to a road with parents trailing far behind too busy checking facebook and ive never seen any of them wearing a helmet so my scenario is very likely to happen, maybe you spend time at parks and see children there with them and wearing safety gear which i dont however that doesn't change the fact that a lot ride by the road

Yeah I do go to parks and see kids riding them with helmets on, that why I was surprised by your comment.
Go to the park get some exercise by letting the non hovering hover board do all the work for you!?
Mark_Hickman24/09/2019 09:32

An 8 year old will lose control and veer into a road and get killed, …An 8 year old will lose control and veer into a road and get killed, failing that fall off backwards and smash their skull or coxic

And the difference between losing control on a scooter or skateboard?
They
Peejay123424/09/2019 15:24

And the difference between losing control on a scooter or skateboard?

They aren't motorised
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants