How about a thread to discuss what we could export and trade, HOTUKDEALS to trade overseas?

82 replies
Found 26th Oct 2016
Tired of too many threads on Brexit, immigrants, muslims, anti-Semite...and this is supposed to be a DEALS forum..
We discussed about possible loss of trade, cut our nose to spite our face, and we are bringing back control, such as making our own trade deals...but, a big but
What goods are we going to make more of and to export, without more of these goods and services how do we make more of our own trade deals? What do we need to change strategically to make more things?
Namely, back to the purpose of this forum, what HOT UK DEALS we can make in UK so they become hot deals to overseas buyers ?!
To start the ball rolling , I start with a Scottish example, Scotland could have more tenant farmers to export their produce abroad, there is growing consumer markets in China for Scottish food and drinks but more than half of Scotland is owned by fewer than 500 people, restricting growth of agricultural produce. Another example is UK harvested cockles and eels, but we don't make these but instead export a lot of them to the Nederlands for bottling and canning.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
82 Comments

Not sure they would want our threads OP

thewongwing101

lets experiment and give them mutleys!
with the time they spend scratching their heads laughing we will get the country back on track

Original Poster

thewongwing101

Well, we do need urgently to move onto what are we going to produce in order to do the trade deals with if we are going to survive and to thrive.

splender

Well, we do need urgently to move onto what are we going to produce in … Well, we do need urgently to move onto what are we going to produce in order to do the trade deals with if we are going to survive and to thrive.

I think maybe you should put DE in charge of production
more sort of an ideas man here

Banned

I think HUKD could export hatred. Our country would be well rich!

We don't have much manufacturing industry left OP and that was already in recession before the vote
we make money from 'services' and now if banks leave as they say they are ? we are screwed
Edited by: "Wongy110" 26th Oct 2016

Original Poster

brilly

lets experiment and give them mutleys!with the time they spend scratching … lets experiment and give them mutleys!with the time they spend scratching their heads laughing we will get the country back on track

I set the ball rolling with two examples, but seems not to gain traction from those passionate about our country(s), I shall put another one forward, Dry cured Wiltshire ham is top quality, while travelling in the Far East on holiday I don't see any of this at all. I shall go to Carlifornia in December, may be I have a look there too.
There is even a Wiltshire in USA Wiltshire, Mississippi 39176, USA (as indeed, lots of UK town and city names in USA).
However we have started to export more meat to USA telegraph.co.uk/new…20/

Original Poster

thewongwing101

We don't have much manufacturing industry left OP and that was already in … We don't have much manufacturing industry left OP and that was already in recession before the votewe make money from 'services' and now if banks leave as they say they are ? we are screwed

We shall need to restart these again, otherwise how else are we going to make more trade deals in the future?!

splender

We shall need to restart these again, otherwise how else are we going to … We shall need to restart these again, otherwise how else are we going to make more trade deals in the future?!

It is a very good idea should have been done decades ago
but it is to late we have shot ourselves in both feet and arms
best advice I can give is buy a one way ticket
hotukdeals.com/dea…505

is there anything really british left that foreigners would pay premium for? as far as i am aware, we are a net importer and not a net exporter, which is why we will lose out after brexit (sorry to bring this word up again) as everything we import will become more expensive with the falling pound.

although with the falling pound british product may become competitive to foreign products but i still think we will still be a net importer.

Cheese. Continental cheeses are not the same as our huge variety of cheddar and uk cheeses.

Original Poster

Mark2111

Cheese. Continental cheeses are not the same as our huge variety of … Cheese. Continental cheeses are not the same as our huge variety of cheddar and uk cheeses.

That's a good one, our range of cheese is rather limited in European shops that I have been to. I must say that there are more Irish pubs than English pubs on the continent and elsewhere. We could do with more British pubs in Europe too.

Serious lack of investment into the people of Britain has caused us to be a low skilled , low wage country. Germany ramped up its manufacturing base and we opened call centres and warehouses . On the bright side if a tariff war breaks out, bmw , Audi . And the French wine producers gonna be paying a fair amount out .. Assuming we keep buying their goods .

Original Poster

mutley1

is there anything really british left that foreigners would pay premium … is there anything really british left that foreigners would pay premium for? as far as i am aware, we are a net importer and not a net exporter, which is why we will lose out after brexit (sorry to bring this word up again) as everything we import will become more expensive with the falling pound.although with the falling pound british product may become competitive to foreign products but i still think we will still be a net importer.

We have booming tourism, in London especially, we could revive a lot of old British brands and make them in UK. The amount of money spent in London on British souvenirs by tourists is huge, but a lot of it is made abroad though. But the snag is landlords don't give preferential rent to shops selling all British made stuff.

Original Poster

plodging

Serious lack of investment into the people of Britain has caused us to be … Serious lack of investment into the people of Britain has caused us to be a low skilled , low wage country. Germany ramped up its manufacturing base and we opened call centres and warehouses . On the bright side if a tariff war breaks out, bmw , Audi . And the French wine producers gonna be paying a fair amount out .. Assuming we keep buying their goods .

That's any good point on tariffs, no politicians, economists and bankers plus media jornalists have said loudly enough what tariffs do once collected. Have they not explored what use the money from tariffs do?!

plodging

Serious lack of investment into the people of Britain has caused us to be … Serious lack of investment into the people of Britain has caused us to be a low skilled , low wage country. Germany ramped up its manufacturing base and we opened call centres and warehouses . On the bright side if a tariff war breaks out, bmw , Audi . And the French wine producers gonna be paying a fair amount out .. Assuming we keep buying their goods .

I imagine the extra costs would be passed on to the consumer when it comes to cars. Same goes for wine.

splender

That's any good point on tariffs, no politicians, economists and bankers … That's any good point on tariffs, no politicians, economists and bankers plus media jornalists have said loudly enough what tariffs do once collected. Have they not explored what use the money from tariffs do?!

Next time you are out and about look at how many German / French cars are on our roads .. It's like 75% .. Or more . We are the biggest market for German cars , French wine and champagne ,markets worth upwards of £100 billion . Be interesting to see if Merkel really wants tariffs lumping on this sort of trade . Going to be some right dodgy deals done behind closed doors I bet .

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

I imagine the extra costs would be passed on to the consumer when it … I imagine the extra costs would be passed on to the consumer when it comes to cars. Same goes for wine.

So we can't afford the price hike .. We don't buy .. Yeah right .. Germany can afford to lose half a million jobs and French wine producers happy going out of business ?? Really

plodging

So we can't afford the price hike .. We don't buy .. Yeah right .. … So we can't afford the price hike .. We don't buy .. Yeah right .. Germany can afford to lose half a million jobs and French wine producers happy going out of business ?? Really

My opinion is this - you don't generally buy a BMW or Audi because they're cheaper. You pay a premium for a number of factors, real or imagined.

So let's say that you're paying a 10-15% premium already, is a 2-5% added tariff really going to dissuade many buyers?

Let's say it does for a second, what do these customers buy instead? A British, tariff-free car (except it isn't because of production costs but that's theoretical) or a car from another manufacturer that possibly still has tariffs applied?

The same goes for wine - if I drink Rioja (again, completely theoretically ) then there's no other option is there? For many of these products we already pay a premium so the extent to which we would buy less is debatable.

Put simply, if I want a BMW am I not still going to buy one if there's a tariff applied?

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

My opinion is this - you don't generally buy a BMW or Audi because … My opinion is this - you don't generally buy a BMW or Audi because they're cheaper. You pay a premium for a number of factors, real or imagined.So let's say that you're paying a 10-15% premium already, is a 2-5% added tariff really going to dissuade many buyers?Let's say it does for a second, what do these customers buy instead? A British, tariff-free car (except it isn't because of production costs but that's theoretical) or a car from another manufacturer that possibly still has tariffs applied?The same goes for wine - if I drink Rioja (again, completely theoretically ) then there's no other option is there? For many of these products we already pay a premium so the extent to which we would buy less is debatable.Put simply, if I want a BMW am I not still going to buy one if there's a tariff applied?

Remember that because of brexit our houses will be worth 30% less , we will have no jobs , so won't be able to afford a bmw anyhow.

Original Poster

Another example, we make small volume cars, britishbuiltcars.co.uk so we could all help to promote them and perhaps bring about more transfer of skills and knowledge from other engineering industries.

plodging

Remember that because of brexit our houses will be worth 30% less , we … Remember that because of brexit our houses will be worth 30% less , we will have no jobs , so won't be able to afford a bmw anyhow.

it may not be that bad, i hope not, but we are all going to be poorer after brexit and i am willing to put money on that.

mutley1

it may not be that bad, i hope not, but we are all going to be poorer … it may not be that bad, i hope not, but we are all going to be poorer after brexit and i am willing to put money on that.

yep I think so too .. I think companies are milking the situation depending on their views rather than real economics .. Microsofts price hike for example . When the dollar fell and the pound was riding high there was no statement saying they would cut prices . Scandalous .

Banned

mutley1

it may not be that bad, i hope not, but we are all going to be poorer … it may not be that bad, i hope not, but we are all going to be poorer after brexit and i am willing to put money on that.

The bookmakers won't be worse off!!

I'd export fear. We produce it in abundance and it's accessible by 48% of the population.

plodging

yep I think so too .. I think companies are milking the situation … yep I think so too .. I think companies are milking the situation depending on their views rather than real economics .. Microsofts price hike for example . When the dollar fell and the pound was riding high there was no statement saying they would cut prices . Scandalous .

you can already see price increases and we haven't even brexit. companies have to make advance orders for materials, bookings so they already factor in the extra cost and starting to charge it now so that it won't be a sudden shock increase when we do brexit.

Original Poster

ICBMiss

The bookmakers won't be worse off!!I'd export fear. We produce it in … The bookmakers won't be worse off!!I'd export fear. We produce it in abundance and it's accessible by 48% of the population.

If it is emotions that we export, we need to export "confidence" rather than fear as confidence is more useful for exports of goods and services.
Confidence about the quality of our home made bicycles, sheds, umbrellas...should help us. There used to be a lot of quality umbrella makers in UK, for example. However there are still niche makers such as James Smith & Sons.
Edited by: "splender" 26th Oct 2016

ICBMiss

The bookmakers won't be worse off!!I'd export fear. We produce it in … The bookmakers won't be worse off!!I'd export fear. We produce it in abundance and it's accessible by 48% of the population.

fear spreading abroad will only devalue the pound further as that is why our currency is being devalued. the rest of the world predict that we will struggle after brexit so that our currency will have less value in trading with them.

mutley1

you can already see price increases and we haven't even brexit. … you can already see price increases and we haven't even brexit. companies have to make advance orders for materials, bookings so they already factor in the extra cost and starting to charge it now so that it won't be a sudden shock increase when we do brexit.

When the Euro was weak it was seen as a massive boost to the German economy both with exports and investment from foreign countries . In the UK it's a disaster .. Let's face it Brits love good moan and thrive on doom and gloom.

plodging

When the Euro was weak it was seen as a massive boost to the German … When the Euro was weak it was seen as a massive boost to the German economy both with exports and investment from foreign countries . In the UK it's a disaster .. Let's face it Brits love good moan and thrive on doom and gloom.

The German manufacturing sector is twice the size of the UK's as a proportion of GDP but that's not to say that a devalued Euro is automatically a boon for their economy. Where they have a leg-up perhaps is that they have a diversified manufacturing sector.

Britain has a fantastic manufacturing sector but it's tricky doing a direct comparison to Germany's.

plodging

When the Euro was weak it was seen as a massive boost to the German … When the Euro was weak it was seen as a massive boost to the German economy both with exports and investment from foreign countries . In the UK it's a disaster .. Let's face it Brits love good moan and thrive on doom and gloom.

probably out of all the european countries, we are the country that import the most as we are a small island with limited natural resources and people power to produce for all of our needs. importing therefore is a cheaper option and often necessary option. so for us, the falling pound will have more of an effect on ordinary people who pay for the purchases.

sterling falling is not an effect from any brits feeling doom and gloom but from the rest of the world who believe that we are doomed.
Edited by: "mutley1" 26th Oct 2016

Mark2111

Cheese. Continental cheeses are not the same as our huge variety of … Cheese. Continental cheeses are not the same as our huge variety of cheddar and uk cheeses.

Really Mark ? we do make some good stuff but mostly it is mass produced rubbish
you really think the French are going to be interested in ours ?
just off to Waitrose to buy some of theirs

thewongwing101

Really Mark ? we do make some good stuff but mostly it is mass … Really Mark ? we do make some good stuff but mostly it is mass produced rubbishyou really think the French are going to be interested in ours ?just off to Waitrose to buy some of theirs

yes. when i go abroad, i rarely see our cheese but that may be because there is little demand outside of the uk. france is renowned for cheese worldwide and tourists flock to the netherlands to taste their edam cheeses. i don't remember seeing cheese being on the tourist advert list for come to britain.

splender

That's a good one, our range of cheese is rather limited in European … That's a good one, our range of cheese is rather limited in European shops that I have been to. I must say that there are more Irish pubs than English pubs on the continent and elsewhere. We could do with more British pubs in Europe too.

Nobody, not even the Belgians, can beat the Brits for brews.
Not talking about the mass produced comercial crap, but the small independent brewers products, can't deny there's some lovely stuff there that could sell anywhere (ok maybe not some religious countries, but apart from them).
Also, Gin, Whisky and other alcoholic produce.

Just noticed the OP's example of exporting scottish goods. from what i understand, scotland won't be leaving the EU without a serious fight so they may very well stay.

mutley1

probably out of all the european countries, we are the country that … probably out of all the european countries, we are the country that import the most as we are a small island with limited natural resources and people power to produce for all of our needs. importing therefore is a cheaper option and often necessary option. so for us, the falling pound will have more of an effect on ordinary people who pay for the purchases.sterling falling is not an effect from any brits feeling doom and gloom but from the rest of the world who believe that we are doomed.

If the pound was high and the stock market in free fall we would have the same arguments ..no win situation .

Banned

Like it or not, weapons/military equipment will be an easy one for the UK

This is the UK at it's best, and we should seriously consider these kinds of projects. Stuff the Euro-fighter, the EU at it's worst.

On a personal note I would love to see today's version of the above, it would be awesome
Edited by: "cchopps" 26th Oct 2016

Banned

mutley1

Just noticed the OP's example of exporting scottish goods. from what i … Just noticed the OP's example of exporting scottish goods. from what i understand, scotland won't be leaving the EU without a serious fight so they may very well stay.

Scotland isn't s member of the EU and even after the UK leaves, Spain will veto its request for membership. Don't buy into the Jimmy Cranky BS.

ICBMiss

Scotland isn't s member of the EU and even after the UK leaves, Spain … Scotland isn't s member of the EU and even after the UK leaves, Spain will veto its request for membership. Don't buy into the Jimmy Cranky BS.

Amongst experts that's not considered a certainty by any means so it's best not to present it like it is. The situations are different and there's still a sizeable amount of uncertainty over the application of Article 50 when it comes to Scotland but that probably falls under the tl;dr clause so I'll spare you.

Original Poster

ICBMiss

As a matter of fact, gambling especially on-line, is one of our big exports if we include Gibraltar (Gibraltar is an Overseas Territory of the United Kingdom.)

mutley1

is there anything really british left that foreigners would pay premium … is there anything really british left that foreigners would pay premium for?

A passport?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Gearbest: Order - Nowhere to be seen...33
    2. Is it illegal to sell train tickets?22
    3. Wuntu - Three (3) Cinema Vouchers Please?11
    4. Ripped off from local garage. Suggestions please.1832

See more discussions