Groups

How are customs charges worked out?

Got a note from royal mail today saying that i needed to pay customs charges on an order i placed from america, it was for 4 t shirts which came to £37.07 and customs have decided to stick on top a charge of £12.45, which is basically 33% of the initial cost.

Mt questions are,
    Are they allowed to charge this much?
    How do they work out the cost?
    And is there any way to get them recinded as this seems rather expensive

thanks

18 Comments

there is a different charge for different materials imported

Banned

they can charge what they like, if its 33% more for your shirts thats the cost, they won't haggle

Pay it and stop whining.

Original Poster

hunchback;8330845

Pay it and stop whining.

To be fair, not all of us are made of money, this country trys to stiff us everyway possible and i don't want to get ripped off.

Your comment is pointless and not helpful

There is tax of VAT and duty, and then a service charge to cover RMs costs. £ 12 odd sounds about right. If the value of the items were less than £ 18, then there would be no fee.

Original Poster

whatsThePoint;8330830

this might helphttp://www.dutycalculator.com/calculation/

Thanks that shows it should be half the price at £6.65, anybody know how i can get it changed? obviouly plus whatever royal mail add, anybody know the amount?

winifer;8330919

Thanks that shows it should be half the price at £6.65, anybody know how … Thanks that shows it should be half the price at £6.65, anybody know how i can get it changed?

Rest will be the royal mail admin charge

they charge a £8 handling fee

Original Poster

snootin;8330941

they charge a £8 handling fee

£8 ;-) robbing gits, they already got paid by the company sending it :w00t:

Banned

when you get the parcel it should have a breakdown of all charges on it

Are they allowed to charge this much? - Unfortunately they are
    How do they work out the cost? - Total cost (including shipping) + duty (if applicable) + VAT + handling charge
    And is there any way to get them recinded as this seems rather expensive - Unlikely, it sounds like the calculation is correct but double check it

This is why I'd only buy from the US if the cost was very low in the first place or it was something rare I couldn't get elsewhere and prepared to fork out for - with shipping and al the customs charges it does make it expensive most of the time.

John

If i ever buy anything from abroad i ask them to give a lower value on their declaration .

Original Poster

Tazzer;8331074

If i ever buy anything from abroad i ask them to give a lower value on … If i ever buy anything from abroad i ask them to give a lower value on their declaration .

Yer normally they put gift on it or lower the costs so it gets in under the limit when i buy from abroad, but this company obviously doesnt do that.

Sigh live and learn i guess

declaring as gift (if it isn't) or undervaluing is illegal....

Banned

winifer;8330957

£8 ;-) robbing gits, they already got paid by the company sending it … £8 ;-) robbing gits, they already got paid by the company sending it :w00t:

how is that robbing? They are collecting the customs fee on behalf of HMRC. Seems quite cheap to me.

maybe you should look into charges before ordering from abroad and then you wouldnt have anything to whine about :thumbsup::-D

gozomark;8331133

declaring as gift (if it isn't) or undervaluing is illegal....

Don't you just love those ebayers that request this yet do not consider the consequences.....confiscated goods or fines. Then subsequently leave negative feedback as the seller is not prepared to break the law or lessen their insurance cover for loss.

Maybe next time, if possible, the OP should order the items separately so each order is under £18

If they were for you they could have been declared as Personal Effects which would have been FREE of taxes.:-D
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917266
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?31154
      3. Weekly game codes giveaway 182722
      4. Find out how good your GP surgery is1010

See more discussions