how are these electricity and gas providers?

Found 23rd May 2016
Hi
I am looking to switch from SSE Southern Electric.. on comparison websites I found these cheaper.. Can you tell how good / bad are these?
AVRO
GnERGY
GB
Octopus
So Energy
Sainsburys
First Utility
OVO
Community Updates
AskElectronics
19 Comments
Switched to First Utility 15 months ago , no problems to date cheapest for me then and their latest tariff this year was still the cheapest so I switched internally . Don't forget try to put in the info as accurately as possible (use your previous bills for consumption ,rather than 2 bed semi ) to get the most accurate estimate .

Finally having found the 2 or 3 lowest estimates check on Quidco and TCB for the cashback you get with those companies .

Edited by: "rogparki" 23rd May 2016
I've been with Ovo for the last couple of years and I find them excellent. Far cheaper than the big boys and easy to submit readings to them. Can't fault them really. Don't forget to check out Quidco / TCB once you've decided and see if you can get some cashback from them. Don't use the cashback to make a decision though as it's obv. not guaranteed.
Nothing but positive feedback on OVO from me.
Input our meter readings once a month onto their simple user friendly app and jobs a good un for accurate bills. We pay £75pm combined for 2 of us living in a 1920s detached house with the other half working from home. Any residual credit balances you have they pay you interest on aswell
I'm with sainsbury energy. they are excellent, reminded me I need to change tariff to get best deal. UK based call centre, I give them 8 out of 10 would be more but they'd have to pay me lol
OVO have great service but prices just cant compete with the new kids on the block like octopus so switching now from OVO to Octopus (started the switch online 2 days ago and been told the transfer date is the 5th June which is very quick)

OVO - Electric 10.9p +31p per day standing charge / Gas 2.84p +31p per day standing charge

Octopus - Electric 11p +21p per day standing charge / Gas 2.21p +21p per day standing charge

My DD is going from from £101 pcm to £64 pcm saving us around £300 per year!

30 day contract too so can easily switch again if unhappy. OVO have recently changed their terms meaning all customers can switch without paying exit fees before 25th June.

Edited by: "chocci" 23rd May 2016
Ovo for me for 3 months so can't say for sure as I'll total up after a year. Mother in law swapped at same time. She pays £67 and I pay £89 pm. we have 2 big tvs and a dishwasher washer so about right i guess. I think I'm paying just a bit to much but will leave it as get 3% interest on credit
Hmm .. Seems looking at the figures mine isn't too bad a price. Think i'll stick with them.

NPOWER
Npower - Electric 10.3p +21p per day standing charge / Gas 2.99p + 7p per day standing charge

Hmm .. Seems looking at the figures mine isn't too bad a price. Think … Hmm .. Seems looking at the figures mine isn't too bad a price. Think i'll stick with them.NPOWERNpower - Electric 10.3p +21p per day standing charge / Gas 2.99p + 7p per day standing charge

your gas is 40% more than what I am now paying

your gas is 40% more than what I am now paying

40% ??
I'm coming up with this for 1 year and using 9000kwh gas

Ovo £368.75
Octopus £275.55
NPower £294.65. but then I get a better price on electric
Has Ovo put up their prices recently? The last time I looked into it was 4 weeks ago and their standing charge was 26p.
how is AVRO energy ? that is coming cheapest to me but haven't got any reviews !
999kernow

I'm with sainsbury energy. they are excellent, reminded me I need to … I'm with sainsbury energy. they are excellent, reminded me I need to change tariff to get best deal. UK based call centre, I give them 8 out of 10 would be more but they'd have to pay me lol

​Your Tariff Information
About your Electricity tariff
Supplier
Sainsbury's Energy
(British Gas Trading Ltd)
Tariff name
Fixed Price May 2017
Tariff type
Fixed
Payment method
Monthly Direct Debit¤
Unit rate
9.37p per kWh
Standing charge‡
26.01p per day
Tariff ends on
31 May 2017
Price guaranteed until
31 May 2017
Exit fees (if you switch supplier before the end date)
£30.00
Discounts and additional
Charges
£15.00 annual discount
when you have both gas and electricity with us‡‡
Additional products
or services included
Not applicable
Other offers may be available with this tariff.
For details of our full range of offers, please see sainsburysenergy.com
Standing charge is different depending on where you live with same suppliers i notice
just look at the information on moneysavingexpert, full break down of the suppliers and feedback as well.

OVO have great service but prices just cant compete with the new kids on … OVO have great service but prices just cant compete with the new kids on the block like octopus so switching now from OVO to Octopus (started the switch online 2 days ago and been told the transfer date is the 5th June which is very quick)OVO - Electric 10.9p +31p per day standing charge / Gas 2.84p +31p per day standing chargeOctopus - Electric 11p +21p per day standing charge / Gas 2.21p +21p per day standing chargeMy DD is going from from £101 pcm to £64 pcm saving us around £300 per year! :)30 day contract too so can easily switch again if unhappy. OVO have recently changed their terms meaning all customers can switch without paying exit fees before 25th June.

OVO has 7.83p per day annual discount for online account
Octopus is max 3month fixed.

OVO has 7.83p per day annual discount for online accountOctopus is max … OVO has 7.83p per day annual discount for online accountOctopus is max 3month fixed.

My OVO online account has no such discount

octopus having a 3 month max is irrelevant to me being in a 30 day contract as if their prices rise, then I'll be off again
I'm with AVRO 2 bed semi gas heating electric cooker and no shower atm. Bath every night 1 wash a day and my monthly bill is £53.

Could not be happier were cheapest in Nottingham when I did my comparison

how is AVRO energy ? that is coming cheapest to me but haven't got any … how is AVRO energy ? that is coming cheapest to me but haven't got any reviews !

I love them, my DD IS £63 a month and I'm 33 in credit at the min. Before with xtra energy I was paying 90 oO
ive just left ovo, couldnt fault them but they haven't reduced their prices recently unlike all the others, ive moved to n power and have gone from £55 per month to £44 for gas and electric plus £30 cashback
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants