How are you supposed to sell on EBay when you have a scam organisation such as PayPal part of it?

Posted 19th Mar
Following on from a previous post...
I sold a camera.Fully working and in order on eBay for over £1600.The buyer received it and left me great feedback.7 weeks later they contact me to say it’s not working as it should.They used it for a wedding but malfunctioned.After many disagreements through PP I asked her for some photos of the camera and the error message.Today she escalated the claim but part of the email I got from PP was this
3424892.jpg
This worried the hell out of me because I could end up losing £1600 AND the camera.How the hell can they get away with this?
I panicked and issued the refund which PP will give her once it’s tracked your my home.I rang them and they stated that they could re open the case if the camera is I wasn’t satisfied.Is this right?
How can people sell anything on eBay when a buyer can use it for a purpose,break it and send it back getting a full refund?
In the process I mentioned the camera had a warranty but she wasn’t interested.PP and this woman have me over a barrel
Community Updates
Ask
27 Comments
You dont use it, period. For expensive stuff like your camera its worth doing cash on collection or using facebook marketplace or anything other than eBay, although paypal is the main culprit here.

They are changing later this year with eBay doing their own payments, but I dont see it being any less lopsided towards buyers being able to scam sellers

Use action fraud, document everything extensively, write letters to eBay and PP head office and call them, and learn a potentially expensive lesson for future
Would it not have been safer to refund once the camera was returned back to you. I’m so sorry to hear this by the way PayPal make me mad I remember the post you put about this x
A lot of normal people don’t sell on eBay anymore. It’s become an outlet website for big brands that can absorb ridiculously favourable return policies.
Edited by: "Smeaton1724" 19th Mar
Smeaton172419/03/2020 21:20

A lot of normal people don’t sell on eBay anymore. It’s an outlet website f …A lot of normal people don’t sell on eBay anymore. It’s an outlet website for big brands that can absorb ridiculously favourable return policies.

MOT!
parisp19/03/2020 21:18

Would it not have been safer to refund once the camera was returned back …Would it not have been safer to refund once the camera was returned back to you. I’m so sorry to hear this by the way PayPal make me mad I remember the post you put about this x

Unfortunately not.Once a buyer escalates it you only have options Pp provide.Its essentially taken out of the sellers hands so there’s no option for MYSELF to make the refund.Paypal take my money once it’s tracked and signed for by myself
Hate eBay nowadays
Full of chancers
You even see them on here asking for help to get there money back
I only use gumtree for anything over £20
PayPal are just the middle men. If we are to believe your version of events then the buyer is the scammer. Or the item became faulty after they purchased it from you. My point is no-one here can prove anything about your case.
JumpMan198019/03/2020 21:29

PayPal are just the middle men. If we are to believe your version of …PayPal are just the middle men. If we are to believe your version of events then the buyer is the scammer. Or the item became faulty after they purchased it from you. My point is no-one here can prove anything about your case.

40142398.jpg

Here’s my point.Even if I sold a faulty camera,chances are the buyer will get her refund of £1600 AND a faulty or perfectly working £1600 camera!!
Edited by: "scorpio.iscariot" 19th Mar
Not ebay Or PayPal fault is the consumer law they obliged to comply with, anything of high value need cash on collection unless you willing to take risks.
smarti200619/03/2020 21:38

Not ebay Or PayPal fault is the consumer law they obliged to comply with, …Not ebay Or PayPal fault is the consumer law they obliged to comply with, anything of high value need cash on collection unless you willing to take risks.

Again...This
40142462-A4y8i.jpg

Not ebay Or PayPal fault is the consumer law they obliged to comply with, …Not ebay Or PayPal fault is the consumer law they obliged to comply with, anything of high value need cash on collection unless you willing to take risks.

Using a system such as PP should NOT be a risk.I imagine if this story was about how I sold a camera with cash and the money was all fake.Or I was robbed when they came to pick it up you’d be saying “unless you willing to take risks”.
scorpio.iscariot19/03/2020 21:31

[Image] Here’s my point.Even if I sold a faulty camera,chances are the b …[Image] Here’s my point.Even if I sold a faulty camera,chances are the buyer will get her refund of £1600 AND a faulty or perfectly working £1600 camera!!

I think you'll get it back. I found myself in same situation. Buyer was refunded and they returned item. They had lied (item was not faulty) - I cleaned it (they returned it dirty and with foodstuff jammed in it). I then re-sold it. I complained to eBay and they refunded me. I have not sold on eBay since.
Edited by: "JumpMan1980" 19th Mar
scorpio.iscariot19/03/2020 21:31

[Image] Here’s my point.Even if I sold a faulty camera,chances are the b …[Image] Here’s my point.Even if I sold a faulty camera,chances are the buyer will get her refund of £1600 AND a faulty or perfectly working £1600 camera!!

Pause for a second. Have you any reason to believe whatever package you receive from the buyer will not contain your camera?
For now you need to accept return is your only option,
You can also do bank transfer in future

No. It's their policy of always siding with the buyer, which is great for their business. I rarely use a website now if they don't take paypal, especially overseas ones.

I'm conflicted on this as an ebay seller. I take steps to make sure I don't get screwed over, i.e. I'd NEVER sell a £1600 camera and post it, not in a million years. But I'll sell a phone for £200, knowing I can absorb the cost if I get scammed 1/20 times (actually not happened yet).

Anything of serious, only do cash. Simple as that. As the OP found out, even months later you can get screwed. I can buy an iphone, say it doesn't work, and send a potato back as the return. Can you prove I sent a potato? No. Ebay PP will refund me and I'll have a free iphone. It's crazy.

On the other side of the coin I buy on ebay because of that. Received a 'good condition' phone today that had clearly been smashed and repaired as the back was coming off. Instantly I know I can get my money back. If I'd bought off gumtree and not noticed, I'd have been screwed over.

So it's good and bad, but when you get stung, yes, it's really bad.
ag5519/03/2020 21:17

You dont use it, period. For expensive stuff like your camera its worth …You dont use it, period. For expensive stuff like your camera its worth doing cash on collection...

I try to do this as much as possible but what really P's me off is that eBay insist on Paypal as a payment option when you list an item even when it is listed as a cash on collection listing.

Traditionally, this wasn't such a problem as you can reverse the Paypal payment of the dumbos who either accidentally or willfully ignore this and you are only out of pocket for the fixed portion of the Paypal fee of 20p.

However, Paypal have recently started to retain all of the fee including the % portion so you could be out of pocket a fair bit because of some imbecile.

The easiest solution would be if eBay allowed you to de-select the Paypal payment option for collection only listings.

Will they do this? Will they 'eck...
Really wouldn’t of refunded without really thinking about it .

Why you should of done is take all your money out and let them take the -£1600

Take the hit and lose the account and forget about selling on eBay .

You won’t have to pay them in the long term they will write it off

I have done this and it works
Edited by: "ashmac" 19th Mar
ashmac19/03/2020 23:25

Really wouldn’t of refunded without really thinking about it .Why you s …Really wouldn’t of refunded without really thinking about it .Why you should of done is take all your money out and let them take the -£1600 Take the hit and lose the account and forget about selling on eBay . You won’t have to pay them in the long term they will write it off I have done this and it works

They'll keep your name for a lifetime to make sure you don't register again.
J4GG420/03/2020 02:03

They'll keep your name for a lifetime to make sure you don't register …They'll keep your name for a lifetime to make sure you don't register again.

Off topic but I had two PayPal accounts suspended, one at the time for breach of policy and a backup I started using during this suspension.

That was 15 years ago and I still can't make an account with PayPal. I get flagged every time regardless of address, mobile number, email, bank account etc.

They are relentless, it is literally a lifetime ban.
Edited by: "juicedtothegills" 20th Mar
juicedtothegills20/03/2020 02:23

Off topic but I had two PayPal accounts suspended, one at the time for …Off topic but I had two PayPal accounts suspended, one at the time for breach of policy and a backup I started using during this suspension.That was 15 years ago and I still can't make an account with PayPal. I get flagged every time regardless of address, mobile number, email, bank account etc. They are relentless, it is literally a lifetime ban.

That is correct. There's ways around it though, not something I'm going to go into on here mind.
scorpio.iscariot19/03/2020 21:39

Again...This[Image]

That's right, if you refused to engage PayPal could issue a refund without goods being sent back.

You engaged and avoided this.
AndyRoyd19/03/2020 21:47

Pause for a second. Have you any reason to believe whatever package you …Pause for a second. Have you any reason to believe whatever package you receive from the buyer will not contain your camera?

You are WAY too subtle, dude!

They'll keep your name for a lifetime to make sure you don't register …They'll keep your name for a lifetime to make sure you don't register again.

Wrong !, I got letters from some debt collection firm that went in for a bit , 4 years have passed now and for the last 2 I’ve been on PayPal buying and selling on eBay again same name same address
Edited by: "ashmac" 20th Mar

Ban off PayPal or lose £1600 ?

No brainier
ellbee20/03/2020 05:33

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2dAa-afItUhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miJwqkAM1NE&t=2081sThese two YouTube videos may be of interest.

I'm glad you posted these. Watched them the other day with interest. It's great that it has made Ebay sit up and reply to their situation. Whether it will change anything remains to be seen but as the videomakers said - it's a start...
If you sell on ebay you have to be willing to accept returns. It's only when you try to get out of this obligation that you risk losing the goods and the money. When the item arrives back, document (video) yourself opening the package, if it's not what you sold then contact ebay and they will refund the money. I have gone through this process twice and i have never been ripped off on ebay. Of course some buyers have simply used the product or changes their mind, you just have to accept that is part of selling.
Ebay are launching their own Payment solution this year.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants