How bad can cinemaparadiso DVD rental get?

Found 19th Mar
Hi
Now that lovefilm/amazon has stopped,I guess the only option for dvd rental is cinemaparadiso.co.uk.
If you thought,this would make them provide a unique service and dominate the scene,you are sadly mistaken. Hopefully it's a sobering advice to anyone planning to join the rental service.

We added 32 dvds from their own website into our list for the unlimited dvd subscription and found that 24 of them were demoted to the 'save' list!!!

Why? A lot of the dvds are only there in the website to make the numbers and ...yes they cannot despatch them to you possibly because they are only there to lure customers to become members.

I guess they only have the most recent movies (why would most need them with netflix and amazon around?).

So I have been sent 3 dvds (all returned promptly) in 3 weeks although there are still 8 dvds left in the 'selection list' and the customer service's suggestion to improve the turnover is a request to add more dvds! How many more? And what guarantee that even these do not really exist ?

Lastly, you know about their promise to 'buy dvds if there's a particular one you like and they don't have', well it's all humbug and rubbish.

If you plan to join, do go ahead but do be aware what you are walking into!
Community Updates
Misc
6 Comments
Interesting to read this but personally I haven't had any issues with them.I currently have 20 in my list and every time I send something back I get something set out to me. The only exception was during the snow where a couple of discs where lost... be actually even those turned up eventually.
Assuming I understand the service (as I have just read your opening post & quickly scanned the web site from the link you provided)...

How many copies of each DVD/Blu-ray Disc for each movie you have in your "selection list" do you think they own at any given moment?

Surely there must be occasions when stock is exhausted because the limited items are on loan to other customers &, hence, your selected item is added to your "save list".

This must be especially prevalent with the most recent titles, & obscure/hard-to-find/out-of-print titles, but compounded by the fact that the loaned items are not expected to be returned within a fixed period.
I have been with them a year or two and so far so good. Apart from the price increase which was a bit crappy!

I was thinking when LoveFilm closed down it would have been a good idea if CinemaParadiso were to acquire their stock as I cannot imagine what Amazon did with all those used DVDs, anyone know?
These services are only good for recent movies.I agree. The rest they might have one copy which might have been lost or damaged,etc.But cunningly these titles are never removed form the website.

Even lovefilm used to be alternately awful and tolerable even after amazon bought them.

imho these services are dying and the worse their service the faster they will.
Didn't even know about this service still existing after lovefilm. Used to love going blockbuster's as a teen picking up videos then going home with overpriced popcorn and 2lt bottle of coke. Those days were great could always find something to watch. Now I have computer access to any film I want and can't find anything to watch.
larrylightweight19 h, 38 m ago

Didn't even know about this service still existing after lovefilm. Used to …Didn't even know about this service still existing after lovefilm. Used to love going blockbuster's as a teen picking up videos then going home with overpriced popcorn and 2lt bottle of coke. Those days were great could always find something to watch. Now I have computer access to any film I want and can't find anything to watch.

I liked LoveFilm for this very reason that I am useless at choosing something to watch on the likes of Netflix/Prime so getting a random DVD through the door helps narrow this down for me
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants