How bad will this Xsara Picasso be?

Hey all, im looking to swap my car for a citroen xsara picasso. I dont wanna spend money cos I dont use it all the time.

I have seen one which is X reg, 99 thousand miles on the clock. its a 1.6 so I am not expecting much, but is it likely to die soon? or is the mileage very very high?

£1500 they want for it.

12 Comments

Banned

that is pretty high mileage, but depends who they are/what theyve done with it. You want to see service history for sure.

Anyone can drive a car into the ground, but it might be that this belonged to a busy family who cared for it really well etc.

Take a mechanic friend with you?

Mileage isnt too high for the year providing it has had a cambelt and has been serviced regularly,

Original Poster

tonyg1962;5032573

Mileage isnt too high for the year providing it has had a cambelt and has … Mileage isnt too high for the year providing it has had a cambelt and has been serviced regularly,

yer this is what i thought, i just would like it to not go too wrong all the time. i would expect a timing belt and clutch by this time. ill see when they are open tomoro i think.

Average mileage is class as 12k per annum so "average" for a 1999 motor would be 120k, so its actually low for its age.

stay clear of main dealer,,,costs too much in service costs,,,both my sons have a citroen and they were always complaining about service cost,,,their warranty now expired so they now go to the garage where I take our vectra,,,asda price in comparison,,,

IMHO a 1.6 is undepowered for a people carrier such as this.

I worked for a Citroen dealer for over 2 years and the picasso was only any good with 1.8 + or 2.0 diesel.

When looking at secondhand cars condition is often far more important than either age or mileage. When I was looking to change my 100,000 mile Skoda Octavia I was looking at cars with half the mileage and a few years newer that were in actually in a worse state than mine (which had been looked after well by its previous owners). A car that has been well maintained and mainly motorway miles is a better bet than a newer car with less miles that's been driven hard and not cared for.

Having said that though, Picassos have a poor reliability record especially for the earlier models. If you do want to check out this one I'd definitely agree with the advice above about getting a mechanic to come with you and have a good look over it.

John

kjbenja;5032905

IMHO a 1.6 is undepowered for a people carrier such as this.I worked for … IMHO a 1.6 is undepowered for a people carrier such as this.I worked for a Citroen dealer for over 2 years and the picasso was only any good with 1.8 + or 2.0 diesel.

The picasso wasn't very good with any engine:roll:

Original Poster

jtx;5034463

The picasso wasn't very good with any engine:roll:

lol, yer I looked at one today, the door was hanging off, there was rust. I dont think its a wise choice to be honest.

I have a punto 1.2 with only 37,000 miles on the clock, its ok, but I dont like fiats lol!

Dont really know myself but lots of friends have said that diesels go on for more miles. If thats true then high mileage petrol cars are a bit risky unless you know the service history

kjbenja;5032905

IMHO a 1.6 is undepowered for a people carrier such as this.I worked for … IMHO a 1.6 is undepowered for a people carrier such as this.I worked for a Citroen dealer for over 2 years and the picasso was only any good with 1.8 + or 2.0 diesel.

They're 5-seaters?

They're still normally classed as people carriers for their shape/design despite the lack of extra seats.

John
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Cheapo tips for around the home. Aka "life hacks"1929
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763881
    3. (heads up) Mini SNES price finally dropped on Amazon pre orders56
    4. What an absolute disgrace2147

See more discussions