How best to treat shingles

Found 12th Nov 2017
Hi all. So I had a tract infection which was cleared up a week or so ago. After several more visits to the doctor and not getting anywhere, it's without doubt I've got shingles as today woke up with a rash across my torso, back and neck. The ache in my pelvis which I had initially remains.

So, does anyone who's had it got any advice on how best to treat it as obviously the rash isn't nice at all?
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Generally unless treated really early with antivirals (like aciclovir) there's nothing really to treat shingles with except time. You'll only get any form of medication if it's spotted in the first few days. Just keep the area clean and dry and if it doesn't clear up in a couple of weeks go back to your GP.

Or just go back to the GP again? Getting health advice on a forum is always going to be somewhat unreliable, and self diagnosis of shingles (assuming the GP didn't do so) may not be correct anyway.
Edited by: "ostinato" 12th Nov 2017
ostinato14 m ago

Generally unless treated really early with antivirals (like aciclovir) …Generally unless treated really early with antivirals (like aciclovir) there's nothing really to treat shingles with except time. You'll only get any form of medication if it's spotted in the first few days. Just keep the area clean and dry and if it doesn't clear up in a couple of weeks go back to your GP.Or just go back to the GP again? Getting health advice on a forum is always going to be somewhat unreliable, and self diagnosis of shingles (assuming the GP didn't do so) may not be correct anyway.

Agree with everything you said

"Extra" pain relief medication can be requested from the GP but generally it's one of those illnesses that gets better with time.

You could help your immune system by taking additional vitamins if diet is poor/average.
Original Poster
philphil6110 m ago

Agree with everything you said"Extra" pain relief medication can be …Agree with everything you said"Extra" pain relief medication can be requested from the GP but generally it's one of those illnesses that gets better with time. You could help your immune system by taking additional vitamins if diet is poor/average.

Thanks guys.

Yeah will head to gp again tomorrow and see what he says.

Taking more vitamins to boost my immune system. I'm type one diabetic so my immune system is already at a disadvantage and having just had a tract infection, it doesn't surprise me I've contracted shingles (well, pretty sure that is what it is) 😑
cheaperbythe121 h, 6 m ago

Thanks guys.Yeah will head to gp again tomorrow and see what he says. …Thanks guys.Yeah will head to gp again tomorrow and see what he says. Taking more vitamins to boost my immune system. I'm type one diabetic so my immune system is already at a disadvantage and having just had a tract infection, it doesn't surprise me I've contracted shingles (well, pretty sure that is what it is) 😑

boosting your immune system is what causes autoimmune diseases, stop reading unverified information. dont take vitamins and supplements unless your doctor told you as these can interact with your medications.
type 1 diabetes has nothing to do with contracting other conditions unless your diabetes management is poor (and that would mainly be kidney or cardiovascular problems)

Go to the GP, tell him/her exactly when you got the rash , any pain etc. doctors cant read your mind so if you want the best help explain exactly what you are experiencing (remember they have 10min so be concise and to the point)
Edited by: "mattsk" 12th Nov 2017
mattsk4 h, 21 m ago

boosting your immune system is what causes autoimmune diseases, stop …boosting your immune system is what causes autoimmune diseases, stop reading unverified information. dont take vitamins and supplements unless your doctor told you as these can interact with your medications.type 1 diabetes has nothing to do with contracting other conditions unless your diabetes management is poor (and that would mainly be kidney or cardiovascular problems)Go to the GP, tell him/her exactly when you got the rash , any pain etc. doctors cant read your mind so if you want the best help explain exactly what you are experiencing (remember they have 10min so be concise and to the point)

Ooooooh get you

You state "stop reading unverified information" but state "boosting your immune system is what causes autoimmune diseases"

I'll say no more except in todays era where, "for the many", diet is poor because of cuts and aggressive government policies to make the rich richer and the poor poorer, where more and more go to food banks etc the everyday dietary needs are not being met.

And I did state in my comment "if diet is poor/average"
Not much use for younger members but I have just found out that it is possible to have a shingles vaccination if you are a certain age. Don't think this is widely known.

nhs.uk/Con…spx
philphil6129 m ago

Ooooooh get youYou state "stop reading unverified information" but state …Ooooooh get youYou state "stop reading unverified information" but state "boosting your immune system is what causes autoimmune diseases"I'll say no more except in todays era where, "for the many", diet is poor because of cuts and aggressive government policies to make the rich richer and the poor poorer, where more and more go to food banks etc the everyday dietary needs are not being met.And I did state in my comment "if diet is poor/average"

Never read so much nonsense in one comment.

Few things for you to check
Autoimmune disease
Dietary reference value
Most people even with poor diet don't need supplements except for few vitamins or mineral but once you check those basic terms above you will understand
mattsk4 m ago

Never read so much nonsense in one comment. Few things for you to check …Never read so much nonsense in one comment. Few things for you to check Autoimmune disease Dietary reference valueMost people even with poor diet don't need supplements except for few vitamins or mineral but once you check those basic terms above you will understand

Et tu, Brute?
Original Poster
r4rcm1 h, 40 m ago

Not much use for younger members but I have just found out that it is …Not much use for younger members but I have just found out that it is possible to have a shingles vaccination if you are a certain age. Don't think this is widely known.https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaccinations/Pages/shingles-vaccination.aspx

Very interesting. I'll ask the doc tomorrow about that.

Btw Matt, and I don't want to come across as rude, but I certainly have no issue (s) with controlling my T1 or my general health and diet. I'm a qualified chef although don't work in the industry so my diet is controlled and I eat healthily, I compete in 5ks and triathlons - everytime I go to the diabetic doctor at hospital each 6 months, I'm in and out within 30 minutes as fit as a fiddle. The only vitamin supplement I'm taking is vitamin c and d in low dosages.

My best friend who is a nurse has visited this afternoon and is 99% positive I have shingles due to the rash and the ongoing ache I've had. If you read my op, I mentioned I had already been to the doctor on several occasions asking about this without any diagnosis, other than him telling me I don't have any organ issue which I thought it could have been (although I didn't have the rash until last night).

Ostinato's post is useful and checked some other sources including nhs' website since I may be too far gone for antibiotic treatment and will need to just get on with it for the weeks or so it takes to clear.

Will update when been to the doc on the off chance it may help someone else in similar predicament in future
Once you've had chickenpox (at any time of your life) the shingles virus can lie dormant in your system, waiting to pounce especially when you are "run down". I get recurring bouts, though thankfully becoming less frequent and a fairly small area. The best thing I have found to treat the rash is Bach's Rescue Cream in big dollops, covered (carefully) with a clean, non adhesive dressing like gauze, and secured with micropore. Difficult in your situation with a large area, of course. Obviously you will want to listen to proper medical advice, but I just wanted to let you know that there is something which can help. You used to be able to buy a cooling, local anaesthetic spray which was also very good for the pain, but I've not seen it for a long time. It was American and marketed as first aid. Good luck with your recovery.
Original Poster
aninginaneana21 m ago

Once you've had chickenpox (at any time of your life) the shingles virus …Once you've had chickenpox (at any time of your life) the shingles virus can lie dormant in your system, waiting to pounce especially when you are "run down". I get recurring bouts, though thankfully becoming less frequent and a fairly small area. The best thing I have found to treat the rash is Bach's Rescue Cream in big dollops, covered (carefully) with a clean, non adhesive dressing like gauze, and secured with micropore. Difficult in your situation with a large area, of course. Obviously you will want to listen to proper medical advice, but I just wanted to let you know that there is something which can help. You used to be able to buy a cooling, local anaesthetic spray which was also very good for the pain, but I've not seen it for a long time. It was American and marketed as first aid. Good luck with your recovery.

Very helpful. Thank you for posting as that'll help.
Well I suffer from a nervous system itch that is excruciating. I recently was given quetenza patch treatment which contains mega hot chilli's. An hour of pain but works a treat. The doc said 99% of his patients are shingles sufferers. Worth asking your doc although not every health authority funds this treatment.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions