Groups

How best to work with low feedback eBay buyer?

Would be grateful if someone could advise how to work with prospective eBay buyers who have no feedback.

Flatmate got a new laptop, and has asked me to sell their laptop for them (quite costly). I listed it and a buyer with no feedback messaged - started to barter. We met at a price assuming they could do payment instantly yesterday (they couldn't) - they said they had to wait until this morning to pay. They messaged again asking if they could pay.

I've slight reservation - had poor experience with low feedback people recently (e.g. one sending me empty parcels recently - I'm still trying to get the money back - so not sure if it's the same scammer) - obviously one low feedback buyer is different from another, and I'm honestly a bit lost as for how to handle this?

Would be grateful for your time,

18 Comments

for me alot of them with low feedback are better then when there 600+ got a digital code chargeback of off someone who had alot of feedback

Simples.Dont deal with them.Or limit your account that feedback of less than eg.10 will not be accepted.Reads like you are going to get done.

"we met at a price assuming they could do payment instantly yesterday (they couldn't) - they said they had to wait until this morning to pay. They messaged again asking if they could pay."

NO!" NO! NO! NO! NO!

Do NOT do it privately. This is almost certainly a scam. The next step will be for him to pay via PayPal, then they will ask you to send it to a "friend" who lives somewhere else.

Then they will claim they never received it.

~Please, do NOT even enter into ANY negotiations with people trying to haggle.

Ignore them. Only accept PayPal payment, and BEFORE you send it, make a note of all serial numbers, dates you sent. Takes photos (preferably) video of it working, and when you pack it (all in one take).

Also, only send it one payment has cleared, and to a verified address.
    Then, and only then, send it via Royal Mail Special Delivery.

Do all of that, and you should be pretty much covered.

Edited by: "artnada" 14th Oct 2016

Original Poster

What I meant by "instant" is pay through eBay via Paypal as you do normally - though check out now-ish (some people "buy" it without paying for days). Have messaged them to ensure checkout address has to be same as delivery address. Will probably have to do RMSD.

artnada

"we met at a price assuming they could do payment instantly yesterday … "we met at a price assuming they could do payment instantly yesterday (they couldn't) - they said they had to wait until this morning to pay. They messaged again asking if they could pay." NO!" NO! NO! NO! NO! Do NOT do it privately. This is almost certainly a scam. The next step will be for him to pay via PayPal, then they will ask you to send it to a "friend" who lives somewhere else. Then they will claim they never received it. ~Please, do NOT even enter into ANY negotiations with people trying to haggle.Ignore them. Only accept PayPal payment, and BEFORE you send it, make a note of all serial numbers, dates you sent. Takes photos (preferably) video of it working, and when you pack it (all in one take). Also, only send it one payment has cleared, and to a verified address. Then, and only then, send it via Royal Mail Special Delivery.Do all of that, and you should be pretty much covered.

Edited by: "Quicklite" 14th Oct 2016

how did u list it was it auction of buy it know best offer if auction then no u shouldn't have took it off unless buyer came and payed cash on collection . u shouldn't really do.thay anyway if u did it's against ebay rules. if they have done it via ebay best offer then wait for payment through paypal for only insured signed for delivery buy never PayPal for collections as u will definitely get scammed like that and if they use a stolen PayPal account PayPal try not to cover u the rip-off make sure u keep all tracking details for a very long time as they my try to say item not recived after say 3 or 6 months and onus would be on u to prove u posted the item

artnada

"we met at a price assuming they could do payment instantly yesterday … "we met at a price assuming they could do payment instantly yesterday (they couldn't) - they said they had to wait until this morning to pay. They messaged again asking if they could pay." NO!" NO! NO! NO! NO! Do NOT do it privately. This is almost certainly a scam. The next step will be for him to pay via PayPal, then they will ask you to send it to a "friend" who lives somewhere else. Then they will claim they never received it. ~Please, do NOT even enter into ANY negotiations with people trying to haggle.Ignore them. Only accept PayPal payment, and BEFORE you send it, make a note of all serial numbers, dates you sent. Takes photos (preferably) video of it working, and when you pack it (all in one take). Also, only send it one payment has cleared, and to a verified address. Then, and only then, send it via Royal Mail Special Delivery.Do all of that, and you should be pretty much covered.

Huh.. the OP never suggested they offered a private sale. Plus many genuine people offer to buy privately on eBay, it's quite normal.

Don't enter into any negotiations regarding price? That's generally what happens when you sell secondhand.

Finally some good advice, note the serial numbers ect... that's great. Also only post with Royal Mail Special Delivery or a similar carrier which is equally insured.

This really gets my back up as you can probably tell. I sell lots of items secondhand and it blows my mind what actions some people take. The worst are the people who buy and can't read a simple sentence, then complain or time wasters!

Edited by: "joshp" 14th Oct 2016

You can't give every low feedback user the brush off.

Fair enough of they have negative feedback, but if it is low but good feedback or no feedback at all, of course be wary, but also remember that everyone starts off with no feedback, including yourself.

If they are trying to negotiate then you need to only accept cash or bank xfr - and get their personal details if bank xfr and verify who they are

List it on gumtree. You'll get more money for it. Buyer collects and you can take cash. I only sell on gumtree now, and use ebay for buying. 2-3 laptops a week without any problems

Never sell on Ebay for friends. The buyer has 180 days to file a claim in Paypal and up to 6 years for a chargeback. Will your friend want to bail you out if the buyer does a chargeback in a few years?

mas99

If they are trying to negotiate then you need to only accept cash or bank … If they are trying to negotiate then you need to only accept cash or bank xfr - and get their personal details if bank xfr and verify who they are

This is my preferred method, cash or bank transfer, non of this pay-pal palava

mas99

If they are trying to negotiate then you need to only accept cash or bank … If they are trying to negotiate then you need to only accept cash or bank xfr - and get their personal details if bank xfr and verify who they are

Bank transfer with unknown person? Great advice there

MIDURIX

I use a bank transfer to my savings account, savings accounts, these are proper dumb accounts, only thing they can do is transfer in from anyone and can only transfer to my current account by me. Whats not to like?

For a costly item I would go with Gumtree for a local cash sale. Facebook have local selling sites. Hunt 1 down and you email the site and they invite you or not.
    As for having no feedback we all started there.

I set my selling setting to restrict people who are not up to my spec, anyone with non-payment, low feedback etc.

But it's most important not to work outside ebay's system, certainly not with people you don't know are fair. If you feel you have unjust feedback and evidence of that ebay will almost always delete the feedback - having said that I've only ever had one case and that was years ago so may have changed.

Don't forget the are always other buyers out there, don't worry about losing sales. Ebay is half full of chancers, I've recently had adjust my "make an offer" setting simply because the number of people who offer 25p for a £10 item and when decline send more offers going up in 25p each time. I've also started including postage just to stop the claims for 10p they think they have been over charges.

MIDURIX

Is bank transfer unsafe?!

Original Poster

Good points. Will be noting down the serial of different components.

joshp

Huh.. the OP never suggested they offered a private sale. Plus many … Huh.. the OP never suggested they offered a private sale. Plus many genuine people offer to buy privately on eBay, it's quite normal. Don't enter into any negotiations regarding price? That's generally what happens when you sell secondhand. Finally some good advice, note the serial numbers ect... that's great. Also only post with Royal Mail Special Delivery or a similar carrier which is equally insured. This really gets my back up as you can probably tell. I sell lots of items secondhand and it blows my mind what actions some people take. The worst are the people who buy and can't read a simple sentence, then complain. However time wasters are the worst!

Original Poster

Haha - I think if one is confident about the value of the item - one just sets a buy it now price & no best offer. They paid via PayPal. Will see what happens. We've all got to start somewhere. I think there was once someone registered on eBay just to get an item I saw selling. Not sure about this - will see I guess.

PulisOut

I set my selling setting to restrict people who are not up to my spec, … I set my selling setting to restrict people who are not up to my spec, anyone with non-payment, low feedback etc.But it's most important not to work outside ebay's system, certainly not with people you don't know are fair. If you feel you have unjust feedback and evidence of that ebay will almost always delete the feedback - having said that I've only ever had one case and that was years ago so may have changed.Don't forget the are always other buyers out there, don't worry about losing sales. Ebay is half full of chancers, I've recently had adjust my "make an offer" setting simply because the number of people who offer 25p for a £10 item and when decline send more offers going up in 25p each time. I've also started including postage just to stop the claims for 10p they think they have been over charges.

Edited by: "Quicklite" 14th Oct 2016
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Rain effect window. The one from FRIENDS! Please help!1011
      2. Best tablet for 100-150? Quid11
      3. Glazing Clay Pots for Drinking22
      4. How are Very for pre-orders ?33

See more discussions