How big or small is 500mb of internet ?

28 replies
Found 29th Sep 2009
As you've probably seen from my last three posts im getting the HTC Hero

And it has 500mb internet (they say its unlimited).

But is it actually enough what can i do with 500mb of internet, can i watch iplayer on my phone here and there ?

And would it be possible to wireless thether my netbook for the odd hour or so ?

Cheers everyone
James

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
27 Comments

good enough for email and browsing i think but not to watch iplayer

Iplayer requires wifi connection and so doesnt come off your download allowance

Banned

500mb!

best in the uk is only 50mbps

csiman;6426555

500mb!best in the uk is only 50mbps

no his allowance is 500MB, not his speed

Original Poster

strike;6426544

good enough for email and browsing i think but not to watch iplayer

fizzo17;6426554

Iplayer requires wifi connection and so doesnt come off your download … Iplayer requires wifi connection and so doesnt come off your download allowance

Thanks for your replies but the reason i asked was because i have a friend who is on T-mobile with the G1 and i remember him being in the car and not able to watch top gear so he watched it on Beebplayer app, So i was wondering if something like this was possible for me ?

Cheers James

Banned

i use around 135 mb on my iphone for browsing etc , i have an unlimted bolt on, dont watch youtube etc on 3g connection , so it might, actully will use alot more mb depends on how much you use it

fizzo17;6426554

Iplayer requires wifi connection and so doesnt come off your download … Iplayer requires wifi connection and so doesnt come off your download allowance

I'm sorry, what?

On the HTC Hero you can use both Wifi and HSPA from your network Op
I am currently the proud owner of HTC Hero but for this month I used over my limit already and on Orange lol

Banned

500mb will get you a couple of shows and thats it on iplayer

500mb is more than enough for a mobile phone. You will use wifi for bbc iplayer.

Banned

MarzBarz;6427019

500mb is more than enough for a mobile phone. You will use wifi for bbc … 500mb is more than enough for a mobile phone. You will use wifi for bbc iplayer.

so wifi doesnt use data allowance? :?

csiman;6427146

so wifi doesnt use data allowance? :?

no because it will be using your ISP

iplayer is not availavble on Android, so there is slight confusion here i believe. Where as iPlayer NEEDS wifi, beebplayer (on android market) can use your 3g connection.

However, being the owner of the Hero, and having used the beebplayer on 3g (only a few times) i would not stress yourself too much as the qulaity is not very good via 3g, so you may use it a couple of time but you would not be using it alot, unless you can put up with lag and picture freezing up. It works well over wifi, but as previously stated, that does not come out of your 500mb (but you obviously need to be in a wifi area, at home, hotspot etc)

I have not gone over my allowance, and have been using the 3g connection quite a lot (social networking, emails, download apps, browsing).....you should be ok.

Original Poster

the porter;6427662

You will only use about 200mb and then realise the phone is neither use … You will only use about 200mb and then realise the phone is neither use nor ornament and sell it and get an iPhone 3gs on symplicity and then be happy !

They asked did i want to wait for iphone and i said ' no do you think im stupid ' lol i hate apple

Original Poster

Thanks everyone

So from this thread I understand that, 500MB is good for surfing: Facebook/emails/msn etc?

hdizzle;6541161

So from this thread I understand that, 500MB is good for surfing: … So from this thread I understand that, 500MB is good for surfing: Facebook/emails/msn etc?

csiman;6426555

500mb!best in the uk is only 50mbps

lol so wrong and yet 50mbps is the best domestic internet, I have 2 gig right now at work

anywho 500mb is a pretty rubbish limit these days with content rich websites it won't take long to exceed it

Banned

Alfonse;6542949

lol so wrong and yet 50mbps is the best domestic internet, I have 2 gig … lol so wrong and yet 50mbps is the best domestic internet, I have 2 gig right now at workanywho 500mb is a pretty rubbish limit these days with content rich websites it won't take long to exceed it

:whistling:

Alfonse;6542949

lol so wrong and yet 50mbps is the best domestic internet, I have 2 gig … lol so wrong and yet 50mbps is the best domestic internet, I have 2 gig right now at workanywho 500mb is a pretty rubbish limit these days with content rich websites it won't take long to exceed it

LOL

Banned

Alfonse;6542949

sense of humour bypass methinks :whistling:

Banned

Small, very small :-D

sculpturatus;6552167

Small, very small :-D

So is it enough for surfing the web on your mobile for a month rather than watching videos and such?

hdizzle;6552218

So is it enough for surfing the web on your mobile for a month rather … So is it enough for surfing the web on your mobile for a month rather than watching videos and such?

its more than enough for a mobile phone:thumbsup:

i have the HTC magic, and what does 3g actually do cause i always have it switched off to save battery and havent noticed any differences

jonesytheblade;6552432

i have the HTC magic, and what does 3g actually do cause i always have it … i have the HTC magic, and what does 3g actually do cause i always have it switched off to save battery and havent noticed any differences

3g is faster internet.

james_lfc;6427910

They asked did i want to wait for iphone and i said ' no do you think im … They asked did i want to wait for iphone and i said ' no do you think im stupid ' lol i hate apple

This is the best reply i've seen on this forum for a long long time! iPhone is no where near as good as the HTC Hero (and the Hero is not better than the N900)

I've got the HTC Hero. 500mb is plentiful for web browsing. and watching iplayer is doable.
I recommend you get an application called 3G watchdog, it's very good and allows you to keep track of your usage.

Iplayer eposides are around 25mb for 30min episode and around 50mb for a high quality one. So you could watch quite a few episodes before running out of usage - even on high quality. It's like 1 episode a week.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition75856
    2. E: 22/09 (+6) Win £40,000, a BMW X4 and a Gadget Bundle with Good Morning B…88
    3. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
    4. Win free gin for a year99

See more discussions