How can a make something open up on startup for a laptop?

Found 7th Jul 2009
Hi guys,

Just got a laptop for someone and when they turn it on and windows starts I am wanting it to pop up with a message saying happy birthday etc, how do I do this and the fancier the better?

Thanks

16 Comments

Could you not find a nice wallpaper that says "Happy Birthday" and then hide all the desktp items?

THen it will say Happy Birthday.?

vengod;5681695

Could you not find a nice wallpaper that says "Happy Birthday" and then … Could you not find a nice wallpaper that says "Happy Birthday" and then hide all the desktp items?THen it will say Happy Birthday.?

+1

or go to the wallpaper / screensaver section and write in a message, then set a time for it to appear.

Banned

or make a powerpoint / word doc and add that to the startup folder

You could always add a sound file - record a bunch of you singing "Happy Birthday" and point the sound manager at that to play it when Woindows starts up.

Original Poster

csiman;5681827

or make a powerpoint / word doc and add that to the startup folder

that was my first choice, just thought there was something more jazzy, thanx :thumbsup:

Banned

have happy birthday on screen then put laptop in hibernate mode as soon as they hit the power button that page will still be there

dear god, just buy em a card ya cheapskate

Some BIOS can be set to require a password on startup and display a message. Have a look in the BIOS set up. I got mine to say "Get off my laptop, Thomas!". My boy was well surprised.

If you like, I could write a small app that'll bring up a standard sort of messagebox prompt with whatever words and messages you want on it. For a basic (and hideouly crude, and drafterd under XP and drawn in MS Paint) example, I mean something like this:

http://i26.tinypic.com/wvygwm.png

SShouldn't take more than about ten minutes to knock it together.

How about changing the Windows boot up screen... I searched 'change windows vista boot up screen' on google and found some links which explain exactly how you do this...

dxx;5682144

If you like, I could write a small app that'll bring up a standard sort … If you like, I could write a small app that'll bring up a standard sort of messagebox prompt with whatever words and messages you want on it.

With no offense to dxx, I wouldn't recomend accepting any apps from strangers from the internet. Dxx seems ok but I wouldn't even accept an app from my most trusted friend because how am I to know they havent been infected with a virus without them knowing.....or they may want to mess around with me in good fun, It's simply not worth the risk.

As for a happy birthday message, I just did a quick search on google and there seems to be many premade ]Happy Birthday Wallpapers available so changing the desktop background is a good option. Or if you don't want to change their background (some people get annoyed when their backgrounds are changed) then you may be able to download the wallpaper image and add it to the start up folder (WinXP: Start, All Programs, Start Up) so that it will open in the default image viewer when the computer starts, I've never tried this so check to make sure. If you choose the start up option then I'd recomend a smaller image size than your desktop resolution so that the menu doesn't force part of the image to be obscured, unless of course the image viewer is set to open full screen without a menu. Good luck.

Grah >_

Original Poster

maddogb;5682007

dear god, just buy em a card ya cheapskate

Cheapskate!!!!! Ive just spent £700 on the laptop and £15 pounds of 3 cards, just a jesture.

Original Poster

mongo116;5683349

How about changing the Windows boot up screen... I searched 'change … How about changing the Windows boot up screen... I searched 'change windows vista boot up screen' on google and found some links which explain exactly how you do this...

ty:thumbsup:

Banned

rbquk;5691353

Cheapskate!!!!! Ive just spent £700 on the laptop and £15 pounds of 3 c … Cheapskate!!!!! Ive just spent £700 on the laptop and £15 pounds of 3 cards, just a jesture.

Blimey! Well done :thumbsup:

Original Poster

dxx;5682144

If you like, I could write a small app that'll bring up a standard sort … If you like, I could write a small app that'll bring up a standard sort of messagebox prompt with whatever words and messages you want on it. For a basic (and hideouly crude, and drafterd under XP and drawn in MS Paint) example, I mean something like this:SShouldn't take more than about ten minutes to knock it together.

thanx for the offer but ive found a nice little program that I can make both flash anime screensavers and desktop pics.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Highway code and use of indicators (or lack thereof)4178
    2. Add one, leave one game54415459
    3. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…51113
    4. saying of the day89412

See more discussions