How can I check if a new phone bought from eBay is not stolen or will get blocked months down the line?

Found 18th May
Never bought a new phone off a eBay seller and want some advice thanks
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
You can't. There is literally no way of telling if someone isn't going to block the phone few months later
mattsk5 m ago

You can't. There is literally no way of telling if someone isn't going to …You can't. There is literally no way of telling if someone isn't going to block the phone few months later

So best to buy pre owned? Someone is selling a iPhone 7 Plus and states it brand new and bought direct from Apple store. He hasn’t got proof of purchase and he has my offer but sent me his mobile number to arrange PayPal. Seems dodgy so I will avoid
rollercoaster633 m ago

So best to buy pre owned? Someone is selling a iPhone 7 Plus and states it …So best to buy pre owned? Someone is selling a iPhone 7 Plus and states it brand new and bought direct from Apple store. He hasn’t got proof of purchase and he has my offer but sent me his mobile number to arrange PayPal. Seems dodgy so I will avoid

How can someone buy a new phone for £500+ and not have the receipt? Do yourself a favour and walk away.
Edited by: "paulj48" 18th May
paulj482 m ago

How can someone buy a new phone for £500+ and not have the receipt? Do …How can someone buy a new phone for £500+ and not have the receipt? Do yourself a favour and walk away.

Said he bought it for other half but they split up. Feedback etc looked decent but I will take your advice and avoid
Too good to be true?

It usually is. 🚶 Walk away from the temptation.
What about CeX and other similar companies...

how do they know if a phone they bought and sold will not get blocked by the original seller after a few months?
sam503531 m ago

What about CeX and other similar companies... how do they know if a phone …What about CeX and other similar companies... how do they know if a phone they bought and sold will not get blocked by the original seller after a few months?

They don’t, but it’s a risk they have to take as a business, that’s why they ask for ID etc and I suppose they’ll report it as fraud if it does happen to them
paulj483 h, 7 m ago

They don’t, but it’s a risk they have to take as a business, that’s why the …They don’t, but it’s a risk they have to take as a business, that’s why they ask for ID etc and I suppose they’ll report it as fraud if it does happen to them

There’s been a few posts on here from people bought from CEX and had the phone blocked. It’s just not worth the risk, buy new or buy from somewhere like envirophone
cmdr_elito4 m ago

There’s been a few posts on here from people bought from CEX and had the p …There’s been a few posts on here from people bought from CEX and had the phone blocked. It’s just not worth the risk, buy new or buy from somewhere like envirophone

My father in law bought a Samsung S (not sure which model) from CEX a couple of years ago and his was black listed a few months later. Took the phone back with his receipt and they swapped it there and thenand gave him some credit on a card for his inconvenience.
paulj482 m ago

My father in law bought a Samsung S (not sure which model) from CEX a …My father in law bought a Samsung S (not sure which model) from CEX a couple of years ago and his was black listed a few months later. Took the phone back with his receipt and they swapped it there and thenand gave him some credit on a card for his inconvenience.

If it gets blocked after 6 months though they won’t do that.
cmdr_elito1 m ago

Don’t CEX give a 24 month warranty on their items? If so they don’t have a choice but to swap it
+1 for smartfonestore
lifetime guarantee against this
There must be a IMEI check online?
ssc14 m ago

There must be a IMEI check online?

to check what? if someone who has sold the phone to a store will then report it stolen 3 months in the future so they can make a fake insurance claim?
sam50356 h, 15 m ago

What about CeX and other similar companies... how do they know if a phone …What about CeX and other similar companies... how do they know if a phone they bought and sold will not get blocked by the original seller after a few months?

We have bought quite a few from cash converters and one got blocked just shy of 12 months and they refunded us all monies including postage both ways. Best to go with a company that sells second hand rather than an individual
cmdr_elito5 h, 16 m ago

They will and do. They come with 12 months warranty. They will exchange or refund/credit note etc.. They're pretty good.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 18th May
I recommend only buying/selling phones through companies. Buying has the risk of being blocked and selling has a high risk of getting a SNAD. Buying through companies still has a risk of an IMEI block but the company is likely to sort it out and won't be trying to scam you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions