how can I end an item early on ebay auction without getting charged final value fees

Found 31st Jan 2015
item has 5 hours remaining and there are some bids on the item

30 Comments

you cannot end an auction within the last 24 hours

why do you want to close the auction?

EliTom

Remove bids, then end the auction stating the item was broken.

And people wonder why ebay is going to ****!

mclovin9091

are you sure you can do that within the last 24 hours?

I am sure you could not

EliTom

and if you are worried it will sell for less than you want just judge by how many watchers you have and not by early bids

if it is an in demand item you will get snipe bids in the closing minute

EliTom

mclovin9091

Will not work, you cannot end the item within 12 hours even with no bids.

can't you just edit item and put high reserve

Original Poster

There is no reserve. on the item

crazy786

There is no reserve. on the item

Why do you want to end it ?

can't you just cancel it afterwards?

You need the person who is the high bidder at the time you want to end it to agree to you cancelling the sale.

"You can't end a listing less than 12 hours before the end of the listing if the item has a winning bid:

You may cancel bids, but not end the item unless you are selling the item to the high bidder. To do this, go to the End My Listing Early form and select "Sell to the high bidder".

You can't add to or change the item description.

If the item becomes unavailable during the last 12 hours of the auction (for example, you break it) you must contact the high bidder or buyer and explain what happened. You can get a Final Value Fee Credit if you and the buyer must confirm you mutually agreed to withdraw from the purchase."

eBay Help

Edited by: "ceres" 31st Jan 2015

Give me the item number will put a huge bid on it then just cancel it and I will accept

That's a scummy way to behave to the genuine bidders.

ceres

Well he doesnt want to sell the item so either way they are not going to get it.

you win some and you lose some.. be fair and let the winning bidder have the item even
if its not the value you wanted.

JackRH1

Well he doesnt want to sell the item so either way they are not going to … Well he doesnt want to sell the item so either way they are not going to get it.

That doesn't make it right. Making it easy for the OP to wriggle out of the sale is a scummy thing to do. Hopefully this will be one of these occasions where eBay charges the final value fee anyway. And hopefully it's big enough to make him think twice about screwing buyers around in the future.
Edited by: "ceres" 31st Jan 2015

JackRH1

Give me the item number will put a huge bid on it then just cancel it and … Give me the item number will put a huge bid on it then just cancel it and I will accept

That's helpful of you!!

shabbird

you win some and you lose some.. be fair and let the winning bidder have … you win some and you lose some.. be fair and let the winning bidder have the item even if its not the value you wanted.

Though I agree with you...

ceres

To be fair, the OP hasn't said why he wants to cancel the auction. It might be that it's broken or mistake on the listing etc.

I do agree with you btw, but it might be a genuine mistake, which happens to everyone every now and again.

sickly sweet

To be fair, the OP hasn't said why he wants to cancel the auction. It … To be fair, the OP hasn't said why he wants to cancel the auction. It might be that it's broken or mistake on the listing etc.I do agree with you btw, but it might be a genuine mistake, which happens to everyone every now and again.

The OP has VERY CLEARLY been asked at least twice (once by myself on a post by itself) why they are finishing it early. They have chosen to not answer. I would say that is proof enough that it's not a "mistake".

sickly sweet

To be fair, the OP hasn't said why he wants to cancel the auction. It … To be fair, the OP hasn't said why he wants to cancel the auction. It might be that it's broken or mistake on the listing etc.I do agree with you btw, but it might be a genuine mistake, which happens to everyone every now and again.

If he had a genuine reason for ending the auction early then he needed to explain to the buyer/high bidder and obtain their agreement to cancelling the auction.

My comment that you singled out to quote was directed at the member here who wished to assist the OP in fraudulently ending the item to the detriment of the other bidders.

It's all moot anyway as the auction has ended. I doubt the OP will be back.

Original Poster

well just to clarify there was a problem with the item hence why I wanted to end the item. Matter is resolved now. Thanks

joshp

Will not work, you cannot end the item within 12 hours even with no bids.

not true anymore.

crazy786

well just to clarify there was a problem with the item hence why I wanted … well just to clarify there was a problem with the item hence why I wanted to end the item.

Yes, I'm sure there was. Let's see, sold it elsewhere for a better price?

crazy786

Matter is resolved now.

I'm sure it is. I hope you're never stupid enough to post on here that you've been screwed over by someone on eBay.

throwaway21783

not true anymore.

Yes it is.

joshp

Yes it is.

Read here
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/end_early.html

Towards the bottom

"You can't end a listing less than 12 hours before the end of the listing if the item has a winning bid:"

Just don't send it. Then when the buyer gets in touch about it give them a refund and apologise as it must have got lost in the post.

ceres

That doesn't make it right. Making it easy for the OP to wriggle out of … That doesn't make it right. Making it easy for the OP to wriggle out of the sale is a scummy thing to do. Hopefully this will be one of these occasions where eBay charges the final value fee anyway. And hopefully it's big enough to make him think twice about screwing buyers around in the future.

I think its a rather nice thing to do.

Scenario 1

Seller cancels the item and gets a fee (bidders do not get the item)

Scenario 2

I bid, cancel the sale and the sellers gets no fee (bidders do not get the item)

So either way the bidders are not getting the item im just helping the seller to not get a fee which is a nice thing to do not scummy as you put it.

Maybe your comment might be correct to the op but not me.

JackRH1

I think its a rather nice thing to do.Scenario 1Seller cancels the item … I think its a rather nice thing to do.Scenario 1Seller cancels the item and gets a fee (bidders do not get the item)Scenario 2I bid, cancel the sale and the sellers gets no fee (bidders do not get the item)So either way the bidders are not getting the item im just helping the seller to not get a fee which is a nice thing to do not scummy as you put it.Maybe your comment might be correct to the op but not me.

You can justify it to yourself until the cows come home. It's collusion and it's fraudulent.

You removed the winning buyer's right to listen to OP's reason for cancellation and decide whether it was a valid reason under eBay's T&C. If they believed the OP, then they agree the cancellation, OP doesn't get charged a fee, doesn't get a strike or a neg. If they considered the OP's story to be a load of old tosh, then they exercise their right to deny the cancellation, the OP gets charged a fee, perhaps gets a strike and the buyer can leave a neg. That is the buyer's prerogative because they entered into an agreement to buy the item and they have had their time wasted waiting for the auction to conclude - not just a short time after the item was listed but days and days later, only 5 hours before it finished. You interfered between a buyer and a seller and you interfered with the processes that are in place to keep eBay as safe a place as possible to buy and sell. I've got a pretty good idea what the OP's item was and any suggestion that it was lost or damaged or broken does not hold water. And, if I'm right, then there was no valid reason for cancellation under eBay's T&Cs so the OP deserved to pay the fees, take the strike and take the neg. So you've probably colluded in helping a dishonest seller keep a clean record ready for the next time. Nice work.
Edited by: "ceres" 1st Feb 2015

Python

Just don't send it. Then when the buyer gets in touch about it give them … Just don't send it. Then when the buyer gets in touch about it give them a refund and apologise as it must have got lost in the post.

let me know your ebay username so I can block you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions