How can I find out if paintings are worth anything?

13 replies
Found 31st Jan 2008
My mother has just found 2 paintings by an artist called Charles E Hannaford in the loft and I was wondering where I could take them to get them valued? Ive looked on the net and the artist seems to be quite famous - apparently he was King George V's favourite artist - and I have seen some auction results from Canada where paintings of his have sold for over 1000 Canadian Dollars.

I have no clue about how to go about this. I have looked for art dealers in Cardiff (nearest city to me) but cant find much and dont even know if they are the right people to go to.

If anyone has any experience in this area I would love some advice!

1. Misc
  2. Paint
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Paint
13 Comments

Not worth a thing, but considering the council will charge you to get rid of them I may as well come and recycle them for you. I am currently in America and would have to make a detour to come to Wales, but that should not be a problem.

P.M. me your address and I will be over within the week.

Regards,

MickB.

mickb;1526164

Not worth a thing, but considering the council will charge you to get rid … Not worth a thing, but considering the council will charge you to get rid of them I may as well come and recycle them for you. I am currently in America and would have to make a detour to come to Wales, but that should not be a problem.P.M. me your address and I will be over within the week. ;)Regards,MickB.

Not worth a thing, but yet your willing to make a detour? Get them valued first before you think of doing anything.

Original Poster

homer_213;1526175

Get them valued first before you think of doing anything.

Thats why I have started this thread, I dont know where to get them valued and would like some advice

My Nan found some before and think they got the valued at an auction house and then went on to sell for a few hundred quid. Maybe try your nearest auction house?

Check [url]www.bonhams.com[/url] to see what some of his paintings go for.

Let us know how you get on, interesting find and hopefully a nice little earner for your Mum to boot!

Antiques roadshow :giggle:

Original Poster

Thanks for advice. Going to email Bonhams as per leefals suggestion and see what they say - hopefully will be worth a few bob!

Any auction house will help - they won't rip you off either - you might pick the wrong art dealer who offers you well below market price, but auction houses rely on commission from the sale, so can't rip you off.

... as for someone doing you a favour to take them away, if it was me i would tell them to Foxtrot Oscar.

dt_matthews;1604970

... as for someone doing you a favour to take them away, if it was me i … ... as for someone doing you a favour to take them away, if it was me i would tell them to Foxtrot Oscar.

LOL, glad someone said that, or Go forth and multiply :P

biff;1526399

Antiques roadshow :giggle:

I agree. :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition57570
    2. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums22
    3. Free money and competition entry @ Circle68
    4. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)45