Groups

How can I get this torx screw out?

I'm trying to open a phone and the screw won't unscrew, the sscrew driver just keeps turning. Photo in 1st post

21 Comments

Original Poster

http://i.imgur.com/eoWze.jpg
    Edited by: "JaYy_dOg" 21st May 2011

Reserved to state the bleeding obvious

http://i52.tinypic.com/2lw2m1w.jpg

need these
    Edited by: "simplex" 21st May 2011

T5, 6 or 7 ?. Could even be star . .

Original Poster

Punjab

T5, 6 or 7 ?. Could even be star . .

T5

drill

ive had this problem before, i used a flat head screwdriver and jammed it in, just find one thats a tight squeeze and it should pop out, or, drill it.

Maybe it's just the picture but the screw looks pretty mashed up to me. Does the screwdriver not fit in it properly any more?

Original Poster

oldmanhouse

Maybe it's just the picture but the screw looks pretty mashed up to me. … Maybe it's just the picture but the screw looks pretty mashed up to me. Does the screwdriver not fit in it properly any more?

T5 is the correct size. Its just been opened a milllion times causing that to happen. The screwdriver does fit but keeps turning..
    Edited by: "JaYy_dOg" 21st May 2011

mumbojumbo

Fine angled pliers if the slot is damaged.

this or use a flat driver just wide enough to force it out, as above.

Flat head screw driver slightly bigger than the width of the longest gap and hammer it into the corner grooves and should open
    Or put some wood/wall filler into star shape hole with a screw driver inserted, let it dry then when hard turn it to open. After knock out the filler
    Or if you can get to the edges/lip of top of screw use sandpaper to grip and turn. or same in hole as long as there is some friction

Edit: Ok so you have a T5 try same with this dip in a bit of wood glue or wood filler and stand up right in screw let it set and should be ok.
    Or magnetise if not already your screw driver, iron filling around tip of screwdriver and try then, extra friction

Alternative is Heat up the back end of a plastic toothbrush or similar object until it is soft, push it into the screw and wait for it to harden then it will open but good luck with screw after
    Edited by: "simplex" 21st May 2011

Use a hammer. It'll make you feel damn good!!!!

why have you opened the phone so many times??

djnaff

drill

Erm... No

OP, you need to get a chizel. There is a tool with a sharp point but the name escapes me.

Basically you need to dig into the rim of the torx screw with it and the tap it loose with a hammer. Then when its loose undo fully with long nose pliars.

This should work

jonny619447

Erm... NoOP, you need to get a chizel. There is a tool with a sharp point … Erm... NoOP, you need to get a chizel. There is a tool with a sharp point but the name escapes me.Basically you need to dig into the rim of the torx screw with it and the tap it loose with a hammer. Then when its loose undo fully with long nose pliars.

erm. no. op, if you haven't already got the screw out, and dont have a small flathead screwdriver, then a small drill, very carefully, drill the **** out. That screw will most likely be too small and inaccessible for any pliers.

or you could just buy the proper bit for it called a secure torx bit

rocket launcher

use an empty biro, heat up the end until it's about to melt, shove it in the hole and let it set then turn it slowly

op, did you get this sorted??

i have two screws like that on my k900

i did think of trying a screw extractor
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Jaffa quake as McVitie's cuts pack sizes - BBC News810
      2. Fakespot.com Amazon fake review detector.55
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767533
      4. Cheer me up please?1431

See more discussions