Groups

How can i get Windows 7 on my netbook?

I have linux on it at the moment & haven't a clue where would be best to get windows 7 from or how to install it
    Is there somewhere that does it for you or is it easy to install on a netbook?
    thanks

22 Comments

Banned

buy a copy and put the disk in the drive......its all automatic

Original Poster

casparwhite;6682286

buy a copy and put the disk in the drive......its all automatic

netbook doesn't have a disk drive :?

Do you have a copy of windows 7 or are you downloading it,If you are downloading it,it is possible to install it from a usb stick but it is a little complicated but if you have the Disc then it would be easier to borrow an external drive and install it from there,

rip the w7 cd, and make a .iso file and install via a memory stick?

Original Poster

tonyg1962;6682306

Do you have a copy of windows 7 or are you downloading it,If you are … Do you have a copy of windows 7 or are you downloading it,If you are downloading it,it is possible to install it from a usb stick but it is a little complicated but if you have the Disc then it would be easier to borrow an external drive and install it from there,

no i don't have a copy of windows 7 yet & don't have an external drive or a usb stick :-( so i haven't a clue how to get it or install :?

If you were in Manchester I know someone who could put it on there for you via the USB drive.
    Genuine legit version, not a copy or hacked.
    The best way if you want to do it yourself is to read this

store.microsoft.com/det…B79

Banned

sorry my bad, there is an option to install from usb memory stick

start with finding a copy.......

cheerleader;6682322

no i don't have a copy of windows 7 yet & don't have an external drive or … no i don't have a copy of windows 7 yet & don't have an external drive or a usb stick :-( so i haven't a clue how to get it or install :?

[FONT=Verdana]I think the best thing here would be to first confirm what model of netbook you have along with how much RAM is present but also how large the hard disk is.

Also do you have another Windows computer you can use (you'll need it if your going to install Windows 7 from a USB memory) but also what's your budget for buying Windows 7.

Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

teshnit;6682310

rip the w7 cd, and make a .iso file and install via a memory stick?

cheerleader;6682322

no i don't have a copy of windows 7 yet & don't have an external drive or … no i don't have a copy of windows 7 yet & don't have an external drive or a usb stick :-( so i haven't a clue how to get it or install :?

teshnit is right.. you will need to make a bootable usb stick. Alternative is to borrow a usb dvd drive, connect it to the netbook and boot the computer from the dvd.

I found this link .. which goes through the steps for installing windows 7 from a memory stick / usb key

]http//gi…ook

Hope that helps

Scotty Boy;6682356

[FONT=Verdana]I think the best thing here would be to first confirm what … [FONT=Verdana]I think the best thing here would be to first confirm what model of netbook you have along with how much RAM is present but also how large the hard disk is.Also do you have another Windows computer you can use (you'll need it if your going to install Windows 7 from a USB memory) but also what's your budget for buying Windows 7.Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

Spot on.. check your machine can handle it.. has space etc.

I use puppy linux on both my netbooks and dell laptop , its very good,has everything built in, flash,music player,firefox,email,write ect, i suggest you try it its only a 110mb download ,u can copy to small usb drive and boot from that to try it out.

The version i use is called puppy 431 , boots in less than 10 secs,firefox is very quick on it as well

Original Poster

Scotty Boy;6682356

[FONT=Verdana]I think the best thing here would be to first confirm what … [FONT=Verdana]I think the best thing here would be to first confirm what model of netbook you have along with how much RAM is present but also how large the hard disk is.Also do you have another Windows computer you can use (you'll need it if your going to install Windows 7 from a USB memory) but also what's your budget for buying Windows 7.Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

i have an acer a120 from tesco's deal on here
    My son has a laptop which had xp trial on it but that ran out & he didn't want to bother renewing it

I don't know what my budget is as i'm not sure if i'd be able to buy the ones listed on here in deals for windows 7 for around 60.00 as they are upgrades & i don't have windows on here already :? my son goes to college so has a college email address if that would get me it any cheaper

cheerleader;6682752

i have an acer a120 from tesco's deal on here :)My son has a laptop which … i have an acer a120 from tesco's deal on here :)My son has a laptop which had xp trial on it but that ran out & he didn't want to bother renewing itI don't know what my budget is as i'm not sure if i'd be able to buy the ones listed on here in deals for windows 7 for around 60.00 as they are upgrades & i don't have windows on here already :? my son goes to college so has a college email address if that would get me it any cheaper

[FONT=Verdana]Am I right in thinking that your netbook came with 1GB of RAM and a 160GB hard disk? Just want to confirm that but also do you want to completely remove Linux from your netbook or would you like to keep it as a dual boot (you would have a menu at start-up to select either Linux or Windows 7).

You would be able to get Windows 7 a lot more cheaply thanks to your son going to college but unfortunately you would need access to a computer system running with Windows (might want to check with your son whether the trial version of Windows XP did definitely run out i.e. did the apply the license key) to create an installation USB memory stick.

Original Poster

Scotty Boy;6682777

[FONT=Verdana]Am I right in thinking that your netbook came with 1GB of … [FONT=Verdana]Am I right in thinking that your netbook came with 1GB of RAM and a 160GB hard disk? Just want to confirm that but also do you want to completely remove Linux from your netbook or would you like to keep it as a dual boot (you would have a menu at start-up to select either Linux or Windows 7).You would be able to get Windows 7 a lot more cheaply thanks to your son going to college but unfortunately you would need access to a computer system running with Windows (might want to check with your son whether the trial version of Windows XP did definitely run out i.e. did the apply the license key) to create an installation USB memory stick.Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

oops just looked at my netbook & it's the a150. son't know what the ram & hard disk is as they didn't have the box for it.
    yes my son's laptop definitely had the apply license key on it when the trial ran out.
    not fussed about having linux on there either thanks scotty boy

isn't there a specific netbook version of 7? i'm sure i read that somewhere.

I believe there is a specific netbook edition, Windows 7 Starter Edition
    very basic of course, infact you cant even change the wallpaper!

mcnally32;6683077

isn't there a specific netbook version of 7? i'm sure i read that … isn't there a specific netbook version of 7? i'm sure i read that somewhere.

[FONT=Verdana]The bulk of the latest netbooks will come bundled with Windows 7 Starter Edition - if you check out the comparison table via the following article link, it will show you the capabilities of each edition of Windows 7.

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana]Windows 7 Editions - Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia
    en.wikipedia.org/wik…ons

cheerleader;6682879

oops just looked at my netbook & it's the a150. son't know what the ram & … oops just looked at my netbook & it's the a150. son't know what the ram & hard disk is as they didn't have the box for it.yes my son's laptop definitely had the apply license key on it when the trial ran out.not fussed about having linux on there either thanks scotty boy

[FONT=Verdana]No probs Cheerleader - for the memory, what to do is when your powering up the netbook try and see if it shows you the memory amount during start-up; it will either show a figure of 512MB or 1024MB.

Original Poster

Scotty Boy;6683462

[FONT=Verdana]No probs Cheerleader - for the memory, what to do is when … [FONT=Verdana]No probs Cheerleader - for the memory, what to do is when your powering up the netbook try and see if it shows you the memory amount during start-up; it will either show a figure of 512MB or 1024MB.Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

sorry for the delay in responding - my middle son is ill :-(
    it's 1024 MB

cheerleader;6712038

sorry for the delay in responding - my middle son is ill :-(it's 1024 MB

[FONT=Verdana]No probs - in that case you should be pretty much covered for installing Windows 7 onto your netbook, as the memory is a good indicator that you have a 2.5" SATA hard disk present in your netbook. I'll start hunting out the guides and paste in the links for you but what's your budget for purchasing Windows 7?

Just need to get an idea, as you do have a few options available - I would suggest you purchase Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (gives you pretty much what you need to cover your requirements) as Starter Edition is limited but also Professional & Ultimate Editions are a bit overkill for a netbook for home use.

Edit - Here's the guide links for you to refer to.

Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool
    store.microsoft.com/Hel…ool

How to install Windows 7 with a USB flash drive at Electronic Pulp
    electronicpulp.net/200…ve/

How to install Windows 7 on the Acer Aspire One netbook: preparation UPDATE: SUCCESS! at Electronic Pulp
    electronicpulp.net/200…on/

Acer Aspire One User Forum • View topic - Windows 7 Drivers
    aspireoneuser.com/for…036

Acer Aspire One User Forum • View forum - Windows 7
    aspireoneuser.com/for…=70

Swedish Tech Report » Blog Archive » Installing Windows 7 on my Acer Aspire One 150
    swedishtechreport.se/?p=664

Review: Windows 7 on the Acer Aspire One | Eee PC - Blog
    eeepc.net/rev…ne/

Original Poster

Scotty Boy;6734142

[FONT=Verdana]No probs - in that case you should be pretty much covered … [FONT=Verdana]No probs - in that case you should be pretty much covered for installing Windows 7 onto your netbook, as the memory is a good indicator that you have a 2.5" SATA hard disk present in your netbook. I'll start hunting out the guides and paste in the links for you but what's your budget for purchasing Windows 7?Just need to get an idea, as you do have a few options available - I would suggest you purchase Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (gives you pretty much what you need to cover your requirements) as Starter Edition is limited but also Professional & Ultimate Editions are a bit overkill for a netbook for home use.Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

window 7 home edition sounds fine :thumbsup: this would be the cheapest option wouldn't it?
    would this be good for transferring it to my netbook?
    hotukdeals.com/ite…sh-

thanks

cheerleader;6740066

window 7 home edition sounds fine :thumbsup: this would be the cheapest … window 7 home edition sounds fine :thumbsup: this would be the cheapest option wouldn't it?would this be good for transferring it to my netbook?http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/516184/sandisk-cruzer-micro-8gb-usb-flash-thanks

[FONT=Verdana]Yes that should be ideal, as you need at least a 4GB USB Memory Stick to install Windows 7 from - if you do order remember you can get a small amount of the cashback via TopCashBack or Quidco.

I'll do a couple of searches just now via Google UK but you mentioned that your son was at college - have you checked out the Windows 7 Student Deal Threads, to see if his college/university is registered as that would allow you buy Windows 7 at a lot cheaper price.

Edit - Here's the first set of reseller links for Windows 7 (results via Google UK Shopping) - note that I have't dealt with all of them except for Dabs, so I don't know how good they are especially with regards to after sales support.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 32 bit, English, 1 Pack, DSP OEI (DVD): Amazon.co.uk: Software - £73.58p, Including Free Delivery
    amazon.co.uk/Mic…-22

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana]dabs.com - Microsoft Win 7 Home Premium 32-bit 1pk (GFC-00564) - £73.58p, Including Free Delivery
    dabs.com/pro…tml[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana]
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32Bit DVD - OEM - £79.18p, Including Delivery Cost
    overclock.co.uk/pro…tml

OEM Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 32-Bit DVD (1 Pack) via LambdaTek - £80.97p, Including Delivery Cost
    lambda-tek.com/com…ld=

Edit 2 - Student related external links are posted below but note that for the Microsoft one you must have an ac.uk email address for it.

Microsoft UK Education - Home - Ultimate Steal - £30.00p for Windows Home 7 Premium
    microsoft.com/uk/…er/

Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Software UK at Software4Students.co.uk - Mixed Prices but it was confirmed previously (via a thread on HotUKDeals) that the ones listed as upgrades for Windows 7 Editions were actually full install based DVDs
    software4students.co.uk/

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Free minion usb stick77
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 391313
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1717
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2020

See more discussions