Groups

how can i help a child with hayfever allergies and asthma

ok my son has asthma which is controlled but this year he has developed hayfever and allergies, asked our GP for allergie tests which she was very reluctant to arrange so spoke to his asthma nurse who is now arranging them, now we cant tell what he is allergic to so far we think its pollens,dogs,rabbits,dust and dust mites.
    have had plastic cover over his matress for a few months now to try and help with the dustmite, i hoover and clean his bedroom every other day, steam all the soft toys the same, change his bed every other day too, keep his wondow closed, yet after all this he nose is still streaming, eyes running , hes been like this non stop for 3 weeks and it seems anything can trigger it off, we've tried a few antihistamine's over the course of the 3 weeks, most gave him an upset tummy so today we go back to the dr after school ( his allergies were not to bad in school) and the reluctant gp gave us a nazel spray called beconase, i had this as a child for allergies but i was at least 10 and my son is only 7,
    any ideas on what else we can try to help him ? do the air purifiers really work? can anyone reccomend one?
    any ideas would be great now guys as he's getting so upset with it all

40 Comments

I'm sat here reading this throught bloodshot eyes, i look like i've done 6 rounds with Bruno so i totally understand why he would be upset. Hope you get it sorted, it really is a killer

I would like to know too,my eldest been sneezing loads,like every half hour or more,twice a time,must be like 30-40 times day at times.

It occured to me when he had weepy looking eye others week that it wasn't the start of cunjunctivitis but he suffering from hayfever. I wasn't going bother going to GP about it but my friend thought I should,I had a look on NHS website and it said it doesn't usually start in children till they about 7,and he's 8 and this 1st year he's had it,it also said it's a good idea to go to GP for diagnosis on it.
    I'm taking him to GP Wed afternoon and see what he can be given.

A little boy I look after appears to have very bad Asthma.. His whole face puffed up really badly recently.

The last few weeks he constantly wears sunglasses, is on eyedrops 4 times a day, medication, and he MUST wash his hands frequently!

The Beconase is a steroid so will take a while to show improvement. You should give it a bit more time IMO.

Hi, my son is 10 and has the same problems, eg allergies and hayfever. We have tried everything, this year seems particularly bad. At the moment he has Piriton 2 or 3 times a day, uses eye drops when his eyes are really bad. What has really helped is putting vaseline on the inside the bottom of his nostrils and under his eyes (this is meant to catch the pollen so that it doesn't go up the nose). Also if his nose is streaming the doctor has prescribed Ephedrine nasal drops which will stop the nose running. My son is being tested for other allergies next month (I suspect dust mites). Piriton does give him a slightly upset tummy but it is better than the swollen eye balls that we have had recently ! Good luck.

It occured to me when he had weepy looking eye others week that it wasn't the start of cunjunctivitis but he suffering from hayfever. I wasn't going bother going to GP about it but my friend thought I should,I had a look on NHS website and it said it doesn't usually start in children till they about 7,and he's 8 and this 1st year he's had it,it also said it's a good idea to go to GP for diagnosis on it.

I found this interesting - my little girl is 17 months and was diagnosed with hayfever last week and prescribed piriton. Does anyone else have such a young child with hayfever?

I have bad hayfever too, my eyes itch, so i scratch and scrath them, then they are so sore. The tablets i have this year don't seem to be that good, but i do get great relief from eye drops, these are safe to use for kids too.

vinylandtrinkets;5499818

will keep my finges crossed for you both, hope your GP is better then … will keep my finges crossed for you both, hope your GP is better then ours who still doesnt know if its " allergies or hayfever" same thing i thought

I'm not holding out on being told anything specific,waited till this year to be given a diagnosis of autism for him even though I told them when he was 2 I certain he was autistic.
    I'll see what he can be given as I don't want to waste money on over counter medicines that may not work.

RBW;5499897

It occured to me when he had weepy looking eye others week that it wasn't … It occured to me when he had weepy looking eye others week that it wasn't the start of cunjunctivitis but he suffering from hayfever. I wasn't going bother going to GP about it but my friend thought I should,I had a look on NHS website and it said it doesn't usually start in children till they about 7,and he's 8 and this 1st year he's had it,it also said it's a good idea to go to GP for diagnosis on it.I found this interesting - my little girl is 17 months and was diagnosed with hayfever last week and prescribed piriton. Does anyone else have such a young child with hayfever?

Sorry - don't quite know how I posted twice!
    Rebecca

I heard good reviews for that ]Medinose thing, no idea if it works, or if it's suitable for children. ask your pharmacy about it.

http://www.healthcare4all.co.uk/images/MedinosePlus.jpg

RBW;5499897

It occured to me when he had weepy looking eye others week that it wasn't … It occured to me when he had weepy looking eye others week that it wasn't the start of cunjunctivitis but he suffering from hayfever. I wasn't going bother going to GP about it but my friend thought I should,I had a look on NHS website and it said it doesn't usually start in children till they about 7,and he's 8 and this 1st year he's had it,it also said it's a good idea to go to GP for diagnosis on it.I found this interesting - my little girl is 17 months and was diagnosed with hayfever last week and prescribed piriton. Does anyone else have such a young child with hayfever?

This 1st time he had it ever,he don't have asthma and only excema occasionly,I guess you been giving the syrup,he will probably need to try that too,he can't swallow any tablets I doubt.

just some ideas, ( you may do the majority of these already )

hypoallergenic bedding.
    cover the mattress on all sides with a plastic cover.
    remove carpet from his room. Have lino or wooden flooring.
    get rid of curtains. Have blinds.
    what you are trying to do is limit the fabric he is coming into contact with as you can keep clean and dust free solid materials far easier than fabrics.
    remember DO NOT DRY HIS CLOTHES OUTSIDE as when you bring them in off the line they will be covered in pollen.

once you've limited everything he is coming into contact with, consider medications...
    I'm no chemist or gp but for the asthma consider controlling AND preventing asthmatic attacks. The blue and the brown inhalers.
    For the hayfever benadryl for children ( my 3 yr old takes that with no problems ) any anti allergy meds that the doc approves of.

limit the time he plays outside during days when there is a high pollen count x x

I hope some of these ideas help, I havent read the thread through so my apologies if I have reiterated anything.

Banned

ive suffered from hayfever for years. asthma too. this also means hes allergic to dust, pets and anything else hairy, like carpets.

get rid of carpet in his room, put in wooden floors. plastic sheets and anti allergy covers for the blanket/pillows.

i used to have an air purifier. it works. i need to look into them again as its been a few years now and i need to find a good one. theyre pretty good now what with hepa filters and ionisers etc.

buy one of those hardware masks, or the type that nurses/doctors wear. make him wear it around the house if you have alot of carpets. carpets are such a major cause of problems i cant stress enough how bad they are.

make sure he wears everything cotton. get rid of other clothes and dont dont dont make him wear wool.

also, you have to start using the most natural remedy that comes from plants themselves - honey.
    honey will really go a long way in curing allergies, especially hayfever, and asthma. if he doesnt like it, tough. mix it with some stuff. only a teaspoon a day, not too much. put it in water, food, whatever. usually honey and lemon works a treat.

find a farm nearby that does local honey

also, stop fizzy drinks and junk foods altogether.

go on bbc iplayer, type in 'grow your own drugs'
    watch the entire series. some excellent home remedies to counter asthma and some allergies. my doctor will never prescribe medicine unless he really has to. and i trust him in doing that because what he says is true, the body will rely too much on medication and hinder its ability to counter-act disease. asthma inhalers and anti-allergy medication are steroids so you wanaa avoid them as much as possible.

Banned

lol clarity beat me to it haha

kapows;5500086

lol clarity beat me to it haha

ha! you get a spanking for not using your meds today when you strimmed your lawn

kapows;5500072

ive suffered from hayfever for years. asthma too. this also means hes … ive suffered from hayfever for years. asthma too. this also means hes allergic to dust, pets and anything else hairy, like carpets.get rid of carpet in his room, put in wooden floors. plastic sheets and anti allergy covers for the blanket/pillows.i used to have an air purifier. it works. i need to look into them again as its been a few years now and i need to find a good one. theyre pretty good now what with hepa filters and ionisers etc.buy one of those hardware masks, or the type that nurses/doctors wear. make him wear it around the house if you have alot of carpets. carpets are such a major cause of problems i cant stress enough how bad they are.make sure he wears everything cotton. get rid of other clothes and dont dont dont make him wear wool.also, you have to start using the most natural remedy that comes from plants themselves - honey.honey will really go a long way in curing allergies, especially hayfever, and asthma. if he doesnt like it, tough. mix it with some stuff. only a teaspoon a day, not too much. put it in water, food, whatever. usually honey and lemon works a treat.also, stop fizzy drinks and junk foods altogether.

The honey has to be local though, but it is meant to work well :thumbsup:

Banned

ClarityofMind;5500097

ha! you get a spanking for not using your meds today when you strimmed … ha! you get a spanking for not using your meds today when you strimmed your lawn

oooh you saucy woman!
    it was last night lol everything was shut and i had no pills :roll:!

yes, I give my lil man tea with honey each morning

Banned

i have problems following my own advice lol

kapows;5500115

oooh you saucy woman!it was last night lol everything was shut and i had … oooh you saucy woman!it was last night lol everything was shut and i had no pills :roll:!

hope you have some now!

would make you some tea and honey if I could zap it to you electronically lol

btw you have a pm

kapows;5500138

i have problems following my own advice lol

you know thats a sign of depression right? not taking care of yourself but tending to the needs of others... :roll:

oh, the ]Lloyd's Pharmacy Medinose is half price btw :thumbsup:

Just noticed it also says buy one get one half price, not sure if it would apply to that, but if it does get a friend to buy one with you lol

Edit: Yes it does, £22.48 for two so £11.24 each if you can find a friend who needs one too

Banned

ClarityofMind;5500171

you know thats a sign of depression right? not taking care of yourself … you know thats a sign of depression right? not taking care of yourself but tending to the needs of others... :roll:

oh i know im depressed lol!
    i also know what i need to do about it!
    and im working towards becoming free of depression!
    the jog today should have been a sign of that :-D

however, the not following my own advice...ive been like that since i was a kid...:?
    perks of being right all the time :-D

kapows;5500202

oh i know im depressed lol!i also know what i need to do about it!and im … oh i know im depressed lol!i also know what i need to do about it!and im working towards becoming free of depression!the jog today should have been a sign of that :-Dhowever, the not following my own advice...ive been like that since i was a kid...:?perks of being right all the time :-D

see... mirror mirror

Banned

ClarityofMind;5500235

see... mirror mirror

lol ill PM ya when i get back :-D

also heard of a bracelet people are wearing atm not sure what that is, as a hayfever preventor.

Ive suffered Allergic rhinitis,hayfever and asthma since a child. What works best for me is a cool room, window open to allow fresh air to circulate, sunglasses for outside, piriton when its really bad, cold wet towel on face soothes sore itchy eyes. daily vacuming, soft toys and pillows? wrap em in a bin bag and chuck in the freezer. works wonders for killing mites

vinylandtrinkets;5503892

guys sorry i didnt respond last night after posting on here josh … guys sorry i didnt respond last night after posting on here josh developed a rash that to me at the time looked like measles, so we had to go to the prime care DR who had never seen measles before and spent the night in our local hospital, thankfully its was a reaction to the beconase spray, so back to our gp again today. i will leave rep when i can today

awww hon, so sorry to hear he has complications, I'm sure he will be fine.

Have they told you to stop the beconase now?

I hope he is feeling better soon x x

vinylandtrinkets;5503892

guys sorry i didnt respond last night after posting on here josh … guys sorry i didnt respond last night after posting on here josh developed a rash that to me at the time looked like measles, so we had to go to the prime care DR who had never seen measles before and spent the night in our local hospital, thankfully its was a reaction to the beconase spray, so back to our gp again today. i will leave rep when i can today

I'll keep that in mind.

snap, same here, my son is asthmatic but its now controlled and the last 2 weeks i swear he has hayfever!! its like a constant cold...

Hi, I've got 3 kids, one has hayfever, food/animal allergies and asthma, another has just asthma, and my youngest has slight asthma and severe eczema, so much so he's even had a skin biopsy under general anaesthetic:( We use piriton and loratadine (not together of course, the youngest has piriton for his eczema and the oldest has loratadine for his hayfever), and sodium cromoglicate eye drops also for hayfever and allergies to animals. Local honey, as someone else has said is meant to help with hayfever, as is putting a thin layer of vaseline just inside the nostrils to catch pollen.

I'd also highly recommend putting soft toys/pillows/cushions in the freezer for a few hours to kill dust mites, as well as washing bedding/curtains at least 60 degrees. It's important to regularly let air circulate to prevent dust mites, but it's a balance between opening the windows to let air clirulate and closing them to prevent pollen getting in!! You can also buy a spray to prevent dust mites called Total Hygiene DM1, it's quite pricey so it's worth shopping around. I hope this helps a little, and all the best xx

I have been bothered with hayfever and allergic asthma since very young. I found it has eased over the years - but it is definately cyclical (~7 yrs for me)

Mine came on at the age of 3 and was really bad till 11. I had rhynochrom,beconase and opticrom from about 7yrs old. And all manner of inhalers and stuff after that.

All the advice given before is good so cant add. Without knowing the route cause it is difficult to treat...you will probably just get antihistamine. Mine is grass pollen, any yellow flowers/pollen, house dust and pine.

I found that if I could get to the seaside once every couple of weeks for a day - even a walk on the beach it certainly helped ease over the summer- clearer air i suppose. Fine if you are able to do that and the coast is relatively close

I hate seeing young kids suffering with this as I know how miserable it made me. I could not wait till the autumn winter for the cool and clear air. I do hope you find what the cause is and hopefully get something that works. Best of luck.

Banned

I used to spend most of the summer months with a blocked nose and streaming eyes. Then one year my GP recommended I have the flu jab, available around Sept/Oct every year. 'What difference will that make' I thought, but had it all the same. I promise you I have never looked back, I religiously get the flu jab every year with all the old biddies. It has made a massive difference, I now get symptons as many times that I can count on my fingers, but then the Hydro (thingy) hayfever one a day tabs soon control it back.

I suffer from asthma too :thumbsup:

just rang chemist, taking son over after school, they do a minor aliments thing u can go to, they can write prescriptions out.. so im going to get something for his hayfever and eczema..

vinylandtrinkets;5506822

thanks excellent news hopefully it will help him, so fad the medicine is … thanks excellent news hopefully it will help him, so fad the medicine is working for Josh no signs of the hayfever and no upset tummy.I wish our chemists had the same service but all ours do is discuss your meds and take blood pressure.good luck with them will keep my fingers crossed.:thumbsup:

back, they gave him liquid antihistamine for hayfever, pet allergy, mites etc and he takes 1x5ml in morning and one at night.

Hes still got to see doctor before he runs out to put it on repeat presecription.
    Good facility to have over chemist, as son would be waiting at least a week to be seen, this way i can start him on it tonight:)
    xx

I've been with eldest today and GP said yeh I think your right it must be hayfever when I told him how much he been sneezing. I said no changes in house really,no different pets etc. Was offered Piriton medicine or a nasal spray,went for syrup cos don't think he tolerate me spraying him up nose.
    Went to Boots for the prescription,didn't have it,said be in tomorrow,he's not sneezed too much today and eyes look ok so will wait till his Dad at work on Friday to call by for it as his day off tomorrow.

In the course of my work this morning i was speaking to an NHS nurse who happened to mention the use of filtration units in the use of hayfever and i thought of this thread and asked her if they really worked and she said it's on the list of things they would prescribe but they help some people more than others......

I was thinking of you all x x

thought i would update you all, Im rather shocked that its working already!! My sons not sneezing, not got itchy watering eyes, nothing!! The antihistamines are working , do they normally work within a week of taking them? its fab!

pcnutta;5539885

thought i would update you all, Im rather shocked that its working … thought i would update you all, Im rather shocked that its working already!! My sons not sneezing, not got itchy watering eyes, nothing!! The antihistamines are working , do they normally work within a week of taking them? its fab!

well least you know it is an allergy hon x
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4532115
      2. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?2546
      3. How long do we think it’ll be until USB C is considered as safe and univers…66
      4. Sonos says let us spy or your stereo will not work77

See more discussions