Groups

How can I improve my wireless signal?

I have really bad wireless signal in my bedroom (modem is downstairs and quite far away), ive managed to get a wire from the modem into my room and that is currently being used for the ps3. Is there a device i can get than i gan plug this wire into that will then give out a boosted wireless signal?

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

33 Comments

You'll need a stronger router or something like this -
    hotukdeals.com/ite…ne/

Banned

does it have two aerials?

try getting a piece of A4 paper, and push both aerials through it, while they are pointing straight up, then position the paper so it looks like a sail or summut.

Apparently it works.

You could do the same with one aerial, but its easier with 2

freeantennas.com/pro…htm

Get a router in ur bedroom and connect it to the one downstairs (wirelessly) it will give u 100% signal if done right.....google it, may be a tutorial.

Also try use the same router as the pne downstairs so it is deffo compatable

Original Poster

monkey_whiskers;5836688

You'll need a stronger router or something like this … You'll need a stronger router or something like this -http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/395751/d-link-powerline-200mbps-hd-etherne/

The routher is already a good one (can't remember the name), the problem is that the signal passes through 3 brick walls and over a distance of about 20 metres

vibeone;5836695

does it have two aerials?try getting a piece of A4 paper, and push both … does it have two aerials?try getting a piece of A4 paper, and push both aerials through it, while they are pointing straight up, then position the paper so it looks like a sail or summut.Apparently it works.You could do the same with one aerial, but its easier with 2http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/default.htm

Yeah its got 2 aerials, but that gonna look a little messy i think, was hoping that someone could point me to so me wired to wireless technologht??

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

vibeone;5836695

does it have two aerials?try getting a piece of A4 paper, and push both … does it have two aerials?try getting a piece of A4 paper, and push both aerials through it, while they are pointing straight up, then position the paper so it looks like a sail or summut.Apparently it works.You could do the same with one aerial, but its easier with 2http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/default.htm

get that off blu peter? lol dont forget the PVC glue...hehhe :thumbsup:

Can you not move the modem to a more central place in the building so it has less distance to travel to your room but still good coverage everywhere else?

Banned

tazandsaz;5836745

get that off blu peter? lol dont forget the PVC glue...hehhe :thumbsup:

nah out of PC Format ages ago... never tried it, but apparently (and bizarrely) it does work.

Original Poster

tazandsaz;5836730

Get a router in ur bedroom and connect it to the one downstairs … Get a router in ur bedroom and connect it to the one downstairs (wirelessly) it will give u 100% signal if done right.....google it, may be a tutorial.Also try use the same router as the pne downstairs so it is deffo compatable

Yeah dont mind getting another routher. Can i plug the wire from my ps3 into this to make it a wireless signal or will the router have to pick up a wireless signal to boost a wireless signal?

Will rep all of you in a minute

I had the same problem, so used HomePlugs for the most distant computers.

Original Poster

jah128;5836760

Can you not move the modem to a more central place in the building so it … Can you not move the modem to a more central place in the building so it has less distance to travel to your room but still good coverage everywhere else?

nope, the main phone socket is in the kitchen and now behind new fitted units.

Best way for me would be to put a telephone extension upstairs and then connect the router to that then you will get a better wireless signal or connect cable direct to it from PC for 100%.

I put my own extension upstairs (one of those B&Q 15 metre extension connectors from downstairs) and connected my router and it works perfectly.

MANJ_007;5836803

nope, the main phone socket is in the kitchen and now behind new fitted … nope, the main phone socket is in the kitchen and now behind new fitted units.

So the ADSL cable cannot be removed/changed? That could be a bummer in the future if the filters go or they need to do work to it...

what model is your router? you can probably just fit high gain arials

Original Poster

bruffterman;5836871

what model is your router? you can probably just fit high gain arials

Its a belkin one, its shiny black with 3 aerials - will have a look at model number when i get home

You needs one of these:
    http://englishrussia.com/images/golden_eye/1.jpg

MANJ_007;5836770

Yeah dont mind getting another routher. Can i plug the wire from my ps3 … Yeah dont mind getting another routher. Can i plug the wire from my ps3 into this to make it a wireless signal or will the router have to pick up a wireless signal to boost a wireless signal?Will rep all of you in a minute

you dont need to plug ur ps3 in to anything as it will be wireless

All you do is plug the router into ur bedroom (new one) via power socket.

Then you have to configure that router to connect to the other router, it will get the wireless signal from ur old one and strengthen it to 100%, but you have to get the same router or it might not pair correctly, get ur router model number from under it and google it + connect ******* to another ***** or something. you should find a walk through or something :thumbsup:

Original Poster

the porter;5836889

is the router as a rule better upstairs or downstairs or does it not make … is the router as a rule better upstairs or downstairs or does it not make a difference?

Havent tried it any where else as it has 4 wired computers to it, its always been in the kitchen / dining room!!:oops:

Original Poster

tazandsaz;5836893

you dont need to plug ur ps3 in to anything as it will be wirelessAll you … you dont need to plug ur ps3 in to anything as it will be wirelessAll you do is plug the router into ur bedroom (new one) via power socket.Then you have to configure that router to connect to the other router, it will get the wireless signal from ur old one and strengthen it to 100%, but you have to get the same router or it might not pair correctly, get ur router model number from under it and google it + connect ******* to another ***** or something. you should find a walk through or something :thumbsup:

Thanks, will get model number when i get home and get one ordered.

[COLOR="Red"]Thanks all for your advise[/COLOR]

if you want wireless upstairs if you cant get it already you need what is called a wireless bridge (or router with bridging capability). it serves as an access point connected to the original router downstairs and extending the wireless range.

Another option would be to install a custome firmware caller DD-WRT (if you have a compatible router)
    this allows you to boost the signal dB from the software: ]http//ww…php

dcx_badass;5836979

No it won't he will get 100% to that router, but the other router will … No it won't he will get 100% to that router, but the other router will just be re transmitting a crap signal so it will still be slow, he needs to put it half way between the other router and his room.

QFT.

You want a db gain antenna.

scan.co.uk/Pro…ase

Something like that will do the trick.

Original Poster

[QUOTE=Jetpac;5836984]if you want wireless upstairs if you cant get it already you need what is called a wireless bridge (or router with bridging capability). it serves as an access point connected to the original router downstairs and extending the wireless range.
    QUOTE]

This is the sort of thing im after, got any links or brands? I'll just search now for a wireless bridge. Nice one mate

Jetpac;5836984

if you want wireless upstairs if you cant get it already you need what is … if you want wireless upstairs if you cant get it already you need what is called a wireless bridge (or router with bridging capability). it serves as an access point connected to the original router downstairs and extending the wireless range.Another option would be to install a custome firmware caller DD-WRT (if you have a compatible router)this allows you to boost the signal dB from the software: ]http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv3/index.php

thats what i meant sorry OP.

dcx_badass;5836979

No it won't he will get 100% to that router, but the other router will … No it won't he will get 100% to that router, but the other router will just be re transmitting a crap signal so it will still be slow, he needs to put it half way between the other router and his room.

i meant the router with brige capability i forgot that bit...:oops:

MANJ_007;5837061

[QUOTE=Jetpac;5836984]if you want wireless upstairs if you cant get it … [QUOTE=Jetpac;5836984]if you want wireless upstairs if you cant get it already you need what is called a wireless bridge (or router with bridging capability). it serves as an access point connected to the original router downstairs and extending the wireless range.QUOTE]This is the sort of thing im after, got any links or brands? I'll just search now for a wireless bridge. Nice one mate

Sorry , what hes saying there is what i meant, just he said it better :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Sound, so were agreed i need a wireless bridge - just need to find a descent one now. Still not 100% sure, will these bridges only pick up a wireless signal or can i stick a wire from the original router to it for it to "create" its own signal?

MANJ_007;5837196

Sound, so were agreed i need a wireless bridge - just need to find a … Sound, so were agreed i need a wireless bridge - just need to find a descent one now. Still not 100% sure, will these bridges only pick up a wireless signal or can i stick a wire from the original router to it for it to "create" its own signal?

like i said before try get the router very similar to the one you have....as ive had issues connecting them before.

it does 'create' its own signal once connected to the one downstairs you wont need to connect them with cables.

dcx_badass;5837210

Yeah I know you did, you were still wrong though.

not really.

i went to someones house few month ago, they have 2 houses into one and the net was on the upstairs far left of the 1st house, so the other side (other house) was getting 1% and dropping out, i put 2 routers (bridge capable) in the 2 living rooms which are on either side of the house, EVERY room gets 90%-100% wireless connectivity and playing the PS3 in the room above gets 98% and is fast.

maybe im missing something but what did i say that was wrong?

Original Poster

dcx_badass;5837314

You're still saying it wrong, they get 100% from the bridge, but the … You're still saying it wrong, they get 100% from the bridge, but the bridge is still only getting like 50% so that's all they will get still.Ok say the router is on one side of the house, on the other side you get 50% signal, if you put the bridge there then you may get 100% to the bridge but the bridge is just repeating the 50% signal.Where as in the same situation say in the middle of the house you get 75% signal, you put the bridge there then it will repeat a 75% signal and then in the room you may also get 75% from the bridge, meaning you are getting 75% signal, where as your way you just wasted your money as you still only get 50%.

So what would you suggest i do?

sven256;5837020

You want a db gain antenna. … You want a db gain antenna. http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Edimax-EA-IO7D-Indoor-7dBi-Omni-directional-Desktop-Antenna-inc-Desktop-BaseSomething like that will do the trick.

MANJ_007;5837333

So what would you suggest i do?

Job done

Original Poster

sven256;5837347

Job done

Seems too simple, is it reliable? Are you using one at the moment?

MANJ_007;5837376

Seems too simple, is it reliable? Are you using one at the moment?

It's meant to be simple, plug it in and it boosts the signal. I'm using one at the minute yes.

You can pick them up cheaper, have a look on fleabay or something, you just want a db gain antenna.

smash the house up
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047101
      2. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941344
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767216
      4. Nintendo Ships Every Switch With a Hidden NES Emulator35

See more discussions