Groups

How can I play a .avi file on my DVD player?

Do I need to convert it? If so to what format and how can I do this please?

Thank you

17 Comments

have you tried burning it to cd / dvd as it is and playing it?

Banned

mrs z how come your avvy is a little purple? did you change it?

you need to convert it in to a DVD which takes a while if you have a **** pc...

try this: riverpast.com/en/…php

You can convert it, but you're probably better off just buying a new DVD player, one that can actually play avi files by itself. It's so much faster to put six or seven downloaded movies directly on to a single DVDR than to go through the hassle of converting and burning each one individually. Better video and sound quality, too.

Original Poster

Xiwt;6032714

have you tried burning it to cd / dvd as it is and playing it?

I didn't try as I didn't want to waste a dvd if it doesn't work :thinking:

bykergrove;6032739

mrs z how come your avvy is a little purple? did you change it?you need … mrs z how come your avvy is a little purple? did you change it?you need to convert it in to a DVD which takes a while if you have a **** pc...try this: http://www.riverpast.com/en/support/tutorials/convert/avi/wii_video.php

I tried to 'feminise' it a bit as I am fed up of being called 'mate' :giggle: - you'd think my name would be enough :roll:

Will have a go, thanks

Original Poster

dxx;6032748

You can convert it, but you're probably better off just buying a new DVD … You can convert it, but you're probably better off just buying a new DVD player, one that can actually play avi files by itself. It's so much faster to put six or seven downloaded movies directly on to a single DVDR than to go through the hassle of converting and burning each one individually. Better video and sound quality, too.

Do new dvd players do that then?
    I play mine on my PS3 but wanted to burn something for my MIL

Banned

Mrs.Z;6032768

I didn't try as I didn't want to waste a dvd if it doesn't work … I didn't try as I didn't want to waste a dvd if it doesn't work :thinking:I tried to 'feminise' it a bit as I am fed up of being called 'mate' :giggle: - you'd think my name would be enough :roll:Will have a go, thanks

thumbsup::w00t:

Mrs.Z;6032778

Do new dvd players do that then?I play mine on my PS3 but wanted to burn … Do new dvd players do that then?I play mine on my PS3 but wanted to burn something for my MIL

AVI-playing DVD players have been out for ages. I bought mine about four years ago, only £20 from Lidl.

Original Poster

dxx;6032935

AVI-playing DVD players have been out for ages. I bought mine about four … AVI-playing DVD players have been out for ages. I bought mine about four years ago, only £20 from Lidl.

Aah, my MIL had my old Toshiba player (about 9 years old now) and her upstairs one is just a cheapy Sainsbury's one I think :thumbsup:

Get a dvd player that plays divx, or use convertXtodvd

Banned

Mrs.Z;6033127

Aah, my MIL had my old Toshiba player (about 9 years old now) and her … Aah, my MIL had my old Toshiba player (about 9 years old now) and her upstairs one is just a cheapy Sainsbury's one I think :thumbsup:

its the cheapo ones that generally play divx avi files :thumbsup:

Original Poster

sancho1983;6033179

Get a dvd player that plays divx, or use convertXtodvd

Thank you, as I said it's not for me it's for my MIL, just gave her a posh coffee maker for her wedding present yesterday, maybe should have got her a DVD player instead!

csiman;6033211

its the cheapo ones that generally play divx avi files :thumbsup:

Thanks will have a look what one she has, or maybe burn one and see if it works

You need to find out if your dvd player supports either mpeg4/divx/xvid - it might say it on the side.

If it doesn't, no amount of conversion, other than making it into a dvd (pointless) will work.

Edit - Tesco sell a Tecknika branded one for just over 17 quid that plays them.

Banned

Mother In Law..... just got it people!

Original Poster

moob;6034211

You need to find out if your dvd player supports either mpeg4/divx/xvid - … You need to find out if your dvd player supports either mpeg4/divx/xvid - it might say it on the side.If it doesn't, no amount of conversion, other than making it into a dvd (pointless) will work.Edit - Tesco sell a Tecknika branded one for just over 17 quid that plays them.

Thank you :thumbsup:
    Then I can burn like 7 avi movies to one disc?

bykergrove;6034231

Mother In Law..... just got it people!

Oh dear, I hope you wasn't thinking about it all that time :-D

yeah you should get about 6 on one dvd.

Mrs.Z;6035457

Thank you :thumbsup:Then I can burn like 7 avi movies to one disc

Yep. As many AVI files as you can put on a disc, basically. I've got single DVDRs with whole TV show seasons on them.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1012
      2. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?917
      3. love affairs912
      4. word association Game73844475

See more discussions