How can I post a couple of lithium ion batteries within the Uk?

Found 20th Aug 2015
I have a couple of camera batteries that i was going to list on Ebay, they are new, unused lithium 1900mah (13.7wh each). It occurred to me today though that the Royal Mail no longer allow the shipping of batteries on their own. I have checked the prohibited item list for my 'go to' courier firm (Parcel2Go) and they won't accept them either.
So, do I need to bundle them together with some random electrical item? Can anybody tell me how one can post a couple of batteries anymore? Thanks in advance for any advice, it is much appreciated.
Community Updates
AskBattery
10 Comments
I would put them in a box and post as normal. I got a car battery delivered to me by parcelforce...
I don't know if this applies but I just got some new batteries from china and they sent random phone casesin each parcel.
I've not had any problems sending batteries through royal mail, I simply said there are batteries inside, they stick a battery inside label on and all done.
Original Poster

I've not had any problems sending batteries through royal mail, I simply … I've not had any problems sending batteries through royal mail, I simply said there are batteries inside, they stick a battery inside label on and all done

Were the batteries being shipped inside a device, or with the product that they power? Apparently that is permitted but I was in the Post Office today posting a parcel and they asked me (as they always do) if it contained batteries. It didn't but it prompted me to ask the "what if" question, which is when they told me that I wouldn't be able to send just batteries on their own and I was sent away with their prohibited item pamphlet which supported what they had told me.

Thanks for the input so far everyone.
Mghf

Were the batteries being shipped inside a device, or with the product … Were the batteries being shipped inside a device, or with the product that they power? Apparently that is permitted but I was in the Post Office today posting a parcel and they asked me (as they always do) if it contained batteries. It didn't but it prompted me to ask the "what if" question, which is when they told me that I wouldn't be able to send just batteries on their own and I was sent away with their prohibited item pamphlet which supported what they had told me.Thanks for the input so far everyone.

That's strange, I buy batteries all the time on Fleabay and they get delivered by royal mail.
Don't tell them. The rules are ridiculous. For example you can't send a phone battery on its own but its OK to send if its accompanied with a phone, inserted or not.

Some staff will ask, just lie and some won't ask so don't say anything.
Original Poster

Don't tell them

Well I guess that is one approach lol
Edited by: "Mghf" 20th Aug 2015
The reason they won't allow you to post them is that there could be metal staples in reused wrapping or packaging that contains material that will conduct electric which could short batteries and they will explode! Also something could break through your package and short the batteries. It's safer if batteries are fitted in a devise and far less likely to get a short even if the packaging gets damaged. It's annoying I know but there it is. You can lie when posting but any problems could come back to you. I would not send in post. Choice is yours.
Original Poster

You can lie when posting but any problems could come back to you. I would … You can lie when posting but any problems could come back to you. I would not send in post. Choice is yours.

Thanks for taking the time to answer Wayners and to honest, I don't want to be in a position where I have to lie but I'm obviously not going to buy a camera merely to use it as packaging material for each battery that I want to post, nor am I going to drive the length and breadth of the country in order to hand deliver these batteries. What I am trying to get my head around is that I know that I could log onto Amazon [for example] and purchase at this very moment in time, any one of a million batteries from thousands of different and disparate vendors. I also know that those batteries would be delivered to my door at some time within the course of the next few days. Now I find it incredible that everyone of those merchants could be flouting these regulations so there must be a way of legitimately doing it, all I'd like to know is how...?
I have a friend who sends them all the time there is no way round it they don't allow it full stop all the vendors are breaking the rules all the people sending them from China are too so hey everyone's doing it just pack them safely the problem is the foil wrapped batteries that easily puncher not camera batteries or 18650 if I were I mean my friend were to send a foil wrapped Lipo battery it would be in a sealed hard plastic case inside a box and in a padded package
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions