How can I stream Netflix etc to a TV whilst listening to its audio on a phone?

Posted 9th Jan
What will allow me to stream video to a TV whilst listening to the audio from the video on earphones, presumably on a phone?

The Roku Premiere and Stick+ offer this but does anything else such as the latest Chromecast?

Needs to work with Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video, iPlayer and also Youtube and BT Sport ideally as a bonus.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
Bluetooth dongle on the tv
esar09/01/2020 17:48

Bluetooth dongle on the tv

An extra cost and the risk of sync problems makes me wary.
Plus, not sure if the Samsung TV supports that or has multiple USB ports; need one for the streaming stick.
I use a PlayStation to stream Netflix and prime etc on tv..... then I use the headphones linked to the PlayStation which the PlayStation outputs the audio to.
Edited by: "DhesiMeRollin" 9th Jan
DhesiMeRollin09/01/2020 18:23

I use a PlayStation to stream Netflix and prime etc on tv..... then I use …I use a PlayStation to stream Netflix and prime etc on tv..... then I use the headphones linked to the PlayStation which the PlayStation outputs the audio to.

Thanks, but looking for something to connect to a phone.
PeacePipe09/01/2020 18:34

Thanks, but looking for something to connect to a phone.

Android or IOS?

Seems like there’s an app for android called localcast but it only works if the files local on your phone. Doesn’t work for YouTube Netflix etc.
Edited by: "DhesiMeRollin" 9th Jan
DhesiMeRollin09/01/2020 18:39

Android or IOS?Seems like there’s an app for android called localcast but i …Android or IOS?Seems like there’s an app for android called localcast but it only works if the files local on your phone. Doesn’t work for YouTube Netflix etc.

Android. That came up when I googled for ideas but as you said, no use for streaming services.
Can you not just just connect Bluetooth on your phone to headphones? Then turn volume of on TV.
Ringfinger09/01/2020 18:54

Can you not just just connect Bluetooth on your phone to headphones? Then …Can you not just just connect Bluetooth on your phone to headphones? Then turn volume of on TV.

As I stated in the OP, you can do this with The Roku Premiere and Stick+ but looking for other options as generally it seems to not be supported.
The whole AV stream uses WiFi so there's no separate local audio stream to be sent via BT.
I don't use BT earphones anyway.
PeacePipe09/01/2020 19:12

As I stated in the OP, you can do this with The Roku Premiere and Stick+ …As I stated in the OP, you can do this with The Roku Premiere and Stick+ but looking for other options as generally it seems to not be supported.The whole AV stream uses WiFi so there's no separate local audio stream to be sent via BT.I don't use BT earphones anyway.

Ah, OK. This intrigues me. Is your phone rooted? Reading the bumph on here it sounds like you need your phone rooted as stock android doesn't allow the audio stream to be split.
Ringfinger09/01/2020 19:41

Is your phone rooted? Reading the bumph on here it sounds like you need …Is your phone rooted? Reading the bumph on here it sounds like you need your phone rooted as stock android doesn't allow the audio stream to be split.

No and I don't intend to root it.
I have ordered a ROKU Streaming Stick+ from Currys for £27.19 so will see how that goes.
PeacePipe09/01/2020 19:46

No and I don't intend to root it.I have ordered a ROKU Streaming Stick+ …No and I don't intend to root it.I have ordered a ROKU Streaming Stick+ from Currys for £27.19 so will see how that goes.

If your Samsung is smart. Use the Samsung SmartThings app (on phone), connect to TV, mirror screen, open whatever app you wish, then on your phones notification panel, under SmartThings, press settings, then choose audio output. I've tried so far with Youtube, Netflix,Prime and some local content.
Note: do not confuse SmartThings app with Smartview app, only works when you go through using the Samsung SmartThings app (even though it actually uses SmartView to cast to the TV).

39636704-mBzUa.jpg
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 9th Jan
On another note, if this maybe helps coming from another direction.
I use a DAC connected to the TV via Optical Out (The TV's USB was fine to power it or you can use plug into mains), then a 5M Headphone Extension Cable, then connect your choice of wired ear/headphones. Skips out the use of the phone and any sync issues if that helps you at all.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 9th Jan
cecilmcroberts09/01/2020 21:32

If your Samsung is smart. Use the Samsung SmartThings app (on phone), …If your Samsung is smart. Use the Samsung SmartThings app (on phone), connect to TV, mirror screen, open whatever app you wish, then on your phones notification panel, under SmartThings, press settings, then choose audio output. I've tried so far with Youtube, Netflix,Prime and some local content. Note: do not confuse SmartThings app with Smartview app, only works when you go through using the Samsung SmartThings app (even though it actually uses SmartView to cast to the TV). [Image]

Thanks a lot. I can mirror the screen but I don't see SmartThings in the notification area and I tried adding it.
Maybe that bit only works because you also are using a Samsung phone which I don't use?
cecilmcroberts09/01/2020 22:25

On another note, if this maybe helps coming from another direction. I use …On another note, if this maybe helps coming from another direction. I use a DAC connected to the TV via Optical Out (The TV's USB was fine to power it or you can use plug into mains), then a 5M Headphone Extension Cable, then connect your choice of wired ear/headphones. Skips out the use of the phone and any sync issues if that helps you at all.

I hear you but that's not a route that interests me. I will be using either a Chromecast or another streaming stick and am looking for a portable solution.
I think the Roku I ordered should do the trick.

Have been using a Roku 3 which has an earphone input on the remote, but that is now playing up as the iplayer app glitches badly. I need to double check if I can I can update it.
PeacePipe09/01/2020 18:06

An extra cost and the risk of sync problems makes me wary.Plus, not sure …An extra cost and the risk of sync problems makes me wary.Plus, not sure if the Samsung TV supports that or has multiple USB ports; need one for the streaming stick.

Could you elaborate why you'd want the audio on the phone?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants