How can i wirelessly display my laptop Desktop on my TV?

Found 20th Jan 2013
I know you can do it on mac with airplay, but is there a way on Windows?

I have widi, but the adapters seem too expensive, is there another way to stream the desktop?

16 Comments

You can send it via wifi or bluetooth much easier if you have smart tv but may need specfic dongle for your tv. Especially if older model. if newer i believe ny dongle should do. Try and google your tv for a forum, there are forums for everything as you may get better / tailored advice there.
Edited by: "IWOOTN" 20th Jan 2013

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

buy a tv with the adapter built in

If i think the adapters are too expensive, im not going to buy a brand new tv with an inbuilt adapter am i.

Why is it not compatible with Desktop Machines i wonder...? Surely there's no difference if it has a Wi-Fi card?

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

if you think £55 is to expensive do you really think i'm going to bother … if you think £55 is to expensive do you really think i'm going to bother being serious with you :|http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-ScreenCast-Adapter-Windows-Wireless/dp/B0061KCPF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358704754&sr=8-1

So why post then. Jog on

And £55 to just stream the desktop is expensive, may not be for you.

Also that link you gave states : Warning Not compatible with Desktop computers. If your laptop was made before 2012, most likely it won't meet the min. requirement either

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

so you want the latest tech for nothing oO X)you only need look on the … so you want the latest tech for nothing oO X)you only need look on the intel site to see which chips has widi built in, my 2011 laptop has it

If you read the original post, i am looking for alternative options.

Where did i say i wanted it for nothing? oO

Edited by: "bob100" 20th Jan 2013

If you want a different approach you could buy an android TV stick (Android on a dongle). These are approx £30 - look for Mk808, Ug802 etc.

Plug that in and set up VNC to your laptop computer.

The android stick can then also be used to stream movies from your network to the TV.

You could also use a smartphone if you have one which is powerful enough and has HDMI out.

nbuuifx

If you want a different approach you could buy an android TV stick … If you want a different approach you could buy an android TV stick (Android on a dongle). These are approx £30 - look for Mk808, Ug802 etc.Plug that in and set up VNC to your laptop computer.The android stick can then also be used to stream movies from your network to the TV.You could also use a smartphone if you have one which is powerful enough and has HDMI out.

Yeah i have the expria arc s and have linked it to the TV, can view my photos, Play Music etc, I hadn't thought about using wi-fi to get laptop / web on tv though. Maybe give that a go.
Edited by: "IWOOTN" 20th Jan 2013

Original Poster

nbuuifx

If you want a different approach you could buy an android TV stick … If you want a different approach you could buy an android TV stick (Android on a dongle). These are approx £30 - look for Mk808, Ug802 etc.Plug that in and set up VNC to your laptop computer.The android stick can then also be used to stream movies from your network to the TV.You could also use a smartphone if you have one which is powerful enough and has HDMI out.

Thanks, will this method display my desktop too?

i have the samsung tv and samsung laptop and they can speak to each other through DLNA i think it's called.

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

you were crying that £55 to use widi was to expensive

Crying...No. Expensive, yes for only streaming my desktop and having no other features. I cannot justify paying that much for it, hence looking for alternative options.

Seriously if you're not going to be helpful, maybe go do something useful on a Sunday evening instead of trolling.

Original Poster

mutley1

i have the samsung tv and samsung laptop and they can speak to each other … i have the samsung tv and samsung laptop and they can speak to each other through DLNA i think it's called.

Hi can you show your desktop on your tv this way or is it just videos/music/pictures you can stream over?

bob100

Hi can you show your desktop on your tv this way or is it just … Hi can you show your desktop on your tv this way or is it just videos/music/pictures you can stream over?

i think in fact you only need the samsung tv and the laptop can be any make as you just load the samsung software on to the laptop.

the telly can see all folders on your laptop but i don't know if it can display word documents for example. i have only used it to access photos and videos as i haven't had the need to show word documents on the telly.

bob100

Hi can you show your desktop on your tv this way or is it just … Hi can you show your desktop on your tv this way or is it just videos/music/pictures you can stream over?

This is ridiculous.

How far away is your computer from your TV? Easiest way is a long HDMI/VGA cable. Wirelessly you pretty much need what has been posted above.

Original Poster

tomwatts

This is ridiculous.How far away is your computer from your TV? Easiest … This is ridiculous.How far away is your computer from your TV? Easiest way is a long HDMI/VGA cable. Wirelessly you pretty much need what has been posted above.

I prefer to not have cables running across the floor to the laptop, that's why i thought wireless would be a much better/tidier solution

Banned

put laptop next to tv attach hdmi cable and use wireless keyboard and mouse sorted.

bob100

Thanks, will this method display my desktop too?

Yes using VNC you will see your laptops desktop on the TV, it's good for mirroring exactly what you are doing but not great for playing movies etc as it tends to stutter etc. So if you are browsing the web you get a mirror of that on the TV, it isn't as smooth as just plugging in though, but you can play around with settings to get it fairly smooth. VNC is basically a remote desktop protocol - you can try it between two PC's to see the effects and have a play around for free - if you like it then the above method with an android device will basically be the same - you just download a free VNC client (viewer) for the android device, and a free VNC server program for your PC/Laptop.

Hope it helps
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions