How can the Kennel Club justify charging £16 to update info on your pets microchip log?

Found 7th Nov 2015
I've been charged £16 to update our address and phone number on our cats microchip log. The lady typed it as we spoke on the phone. How can the get away with charging £16? It wouldn't have cost a penny to do it!

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
18 Comments

Perhaps you could have used one of their competitors instead.

Angel_Of_The_North

I've been charged £16 to update our address and phone number on our … I've been charged £16 to update our address and phone number on our cats microchip log. The lady typed it as we spoke on the phone. How can the get away with charging £16? It wouldn't have cost a penny to do it!

People who waork for the KC aren't paid a salary then. Their computer systems are provided to the KC for free. They don't have to pay for their phone lines either.

It's part of the premium service: "To make changes to your record such as address or contact details, first you would need to upgrade to Petlog Premium Lifetime Membership. This service is £16 (one off fee) which covers the lifetime of your pet (whilst in your care). Upgrade to Petlog Premium to amend your details."

https://www.petlog.org.uk/what-is-petlog-premium/

Which has other benefits - and apparently you should have got some vouchers as well.

I've got my both cats chipped with 2 different companies and they both charge around £14-16 to change details.

Original Poster

IamMT

It's part of the premium service: "To make changes to your record such as … It's part of the premium service: "To make changes to your record such as address or contact details, first you would need to upgrade to Petlog Premium Lifetime Membership. This service is £16 (one off fee) which covers the lifetime of your pet (whilst in your care). Upgrade to Petlog Premium to amend your details."https://www.petlog.org.uk/what-is-petlog-premium/Which has other benefits - and apparently you should have got some vouchers as well.

Yes they said any more changes would be free of charge. No mention of any vouchers though. Some other companies only charge £6 to update info. It's only £10 to microchip in the first place. Seems alot to charge just to update info.

Original Poster

ceres

People who waork for the KC aren't paid a salary then. Their computer … People who waork for the KC aren't paid a salary then. Their computer systems are provided to the KC for free. They don't have to pay for their phone lines either.

That's not what I'm saying. It seems a lot of money to simply update information.

Original Poster

stuarthanley

Perhaps you could have used one of their competitors instead.

I couldn't as my cat is already microchipped by them. They had my old address and contact number.

i think this is standard even if done at the vets. it may be to pay towards the cost of maintaining the database.

Original Poster

mutley1

i think this is standard even if done at the vets. it may be to pay … i think this is standard even if done at the vets. it may be to pay towards the cost of maintaining the database.

I think you're probably right.

Angel_Of_The_North

That's not what I'm saying. It seems a lot of money to simply update … That's not what I'm saying. It seems a lot of money to simply update information.

Why? They have to pay someone to sit at the end of the phone which they have to pay for typing details into a computer system which they have to pay for. And you haven't paid for a one-off change, you've paid in advance for all future changes during your pet's lifetime.

Original Poster

ceres

Why? They have to pay someone to sit at the end of the phone which they … Why? They have to pay someone to sit at the end of the phone which they have to pay for typing details into a computer system which they have to pay for. And you haven't paid for a one-off change, you've paid in advance for all future changes during your pet's lifetime.

It just seems alot of money for updating details. It looks like most charge the same though, maybe thats how they keep the cost of the actual microchipping so low.

Angel_Of_The_North

It just seems alot of money for updating details. It looks like most … It just seems alot of money for updating details. It looks like most charge the same though, maybe thats how they keep the cost of the actual microchipping so low.

it's not representative of the time cost of typing in a new address. it is a cost as part of the overall cost of maintaining the database. database maintenance costs are huge so when you look at it in this perspective, the £16 fee is not at all unreasonable.

Original Poster

mutley1

it's not representative of the time cost of typing in a new address. it … it's not representative of the time cost of typing in a new address. it is a cost as part of the overall cost of maintaining the database. database maintenance costs are huge so when you look at it in this perspective, the £16 fee is not at all unreasonable.

I guess you're right. It just seemed alot at the time.

Some imsurance companies will charge a similar fee to change vehicle details or addresses

I would agree it is a ridiculous amount of money. They only get away with it because we have no other option.

Rip off Britain as usual.

I too agree that this is too expensive. Every dog has to be microchipped from April next year, so every single puppy that is born where the breeder has microchipped with the kennel club, are forced to pay £16. For the next 3 years however, you can get them microchipped for free, so I do feel that the Kennel club are exploiting the change in the law. Until recently it used to be only a £1 to change details. Salary, phone lines and costs of computers is irrelevant to this charge. It costs a vet £15 to implant a microchip so staff at the kennel club must be on a higher wage than a vet, if you want to use that comparison!

Original Poster

Fifi1234

I too agree that this is too expensive. Every dog has to be microchipped … I too agree that this is too expensive. Every dog has to be microchipped from April next year, so every single puppy that is born where the breeder has microchipped with the kennel club, are forced to pay £16. For the next 3 years however, you can get them microchipped for free, so I do feel that the Kennel club are exploiting the change in the law. Until recently it used to be only a £1 to change details. Salary, phone lines and costs of computers is irrelevant to this charge. It costs a vet £15 to implant a microchip so staff at the kennel club must be on a higher wage than a vet, if you want to use that comparison!

They should offer it much lower if they want every dog to be chipped AND up to date details.

Only just got puppy who was recently chipped, STILL have to pay £16 to change owner!!
RIP OFF IT SURELY IS!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions